• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece for salsa/latin

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:11 am    Post subject: Mouthpiece for salsa/latin Reply with quote

As a curiosity question, do any of you play salsa/latin regularly? If so, what kind of tone do you prefer (raw ad sharp or a bit more round) and what equipment do you use to get that sound, if any?
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do, but it's been a few months! I usually play with a salsa/son group with just one other horn, a trombone. Sometimes we play small sets where I am the only horn. Other times we have a couple trombones and 2 trumpets. Anyways, finding the right sound is a challenge. I need to have a full sound that sounds good with the trombone, but I also need to be able to cut through and play aggressive, burning above the staff.
I struggled a long time balancing those two things. I am not naturally I powerful brass player. I have a good ear and a nice sound and know how to play, but it's hard for me to blow the house down.. When I played a deep mouthpiece I sounded great on octave mambo lines with the trombone but was a little bit weak when I went to let it rip on a solo. If I put in my Bobby Shew lead, I could get a nice sizzling sound all day but was not pleased with my playing on lower stuff. If I was in a trumpet section, I could do one or the other, but as the only trumpet player it was a challenge to be able to cover so much ground sonically.
To answer your question, I think it depends if you are playing in a section or playing alone. If you are the only trumpet player, I think you have freedom to pick whatever sound-model and equipment you are comfortable with and just develop that with experience. If I'm looking for a more screamy lead salsa sound in a section that has other trumpets, I go with Yamaha Bobby Shew lead and the 8310Z. If I'm playing with trombone, I can't blend well on that gear and would use something bigger.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, a lot of salsa trumpet players I've bumped into don't play tiny mouthpieces. I've seen great trumpet players playing Schilke, Bach, whatever, often Bach C or D cups.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
having to play the lead parts & solo, i want a bright not aggressive sound
best
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Jaw04: That's quite some food for thought. Thanks for sharing!
Lawler Bb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a member of two salsa bands and one merengue band. I use a Schilke S32 trumpet and about a 3C, sometimes a little shallower & tighter. It depends on how much lead playing I've been doing. I really like my Purviance 4*K4, but I have to be playing it regularly to play well all night. Otherwise, I've used a Warburton 4MC/NY, HornTrader 3CS-28, or Northern Brass/GR 4-66 ****. I could use my Greg Black 3C, no problem as well.
www.instagram.com/milwaukeetrumpet/
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was playing Latin music for a living ( in the '70's in Chicago) I played a Benge 5X trumpet and a Giardinelli 7M mouthpiece or a Purviance 4*K4. I played in Salsa and Mexican cumbia bands. I went for a fat but bright sound. Any number of combinations could work to accomplish the desired sound, comfort and range. Parduba was popular with many of the Latin guys
josephdb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Have a Good Friend Chris Sanchez who has his on professional salsa band Salsa Fusion and for years he has payed a GR 64.7 S a lot of cushion and works well for him.
Joe
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There not all the same; I play in typically 3 different bands playing latin music;One is a large group (4tpts,4 saxs) and the music is pretty much natural sound with a bit of amplification;With that band,it seems not much different then playing regular big band music.
Another band,a latin jazz band,we play also with moderate amplification,unless there`s a real"Houdini" running the clubs sound board;That band is Tpt, Bone& Sax;
The 3rd band I play with is a different animal all together.That one is very amplified,almost to rock band levels; For that group I usually come out of there thinking that I should have edgy equipment;If I was playing with that band only,I probably would go shallow;I dont really like playing into reflectors ..But for that kind of situation,bright is right!
juanc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I prefer a brilliant sound and being a Cuban I've played with a lot of the greats in my country, for example my good friend Gerardo Enriquez which is the lead trumpet player for Marc Anthony play a GR e64SZ and he sound as big as a house and play Double C's all night long. There are in Cuba two of the most respected lead trumpets there and one play a GR66M and the other a Bach 7E and they sound impressive!! I guess you should get a middle of the road mouthpiece and try it in a few gigs to see how you feel (and sound) and then decide which direction you will need to take: shallower or deeper piece. For me it's a Patrick 81M and when things get serious I take the 81S top.
Best regards, Juan
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juanc wrote:
I guess you should get a middle of the road mouthpiece and try it in a few gigs to see how you feel (and sound) and then decide which direction you will need to take: shallower or deeper piece.

That's good advice, I'll try that. The BestBrass7E mouthpiece I play just doesn't do it for latin usic for me. It's too raw and bluesy for proper latin. I'll switch to my classical pieces and train my endurance.
BrassTommy92

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a good bright open salsa sound I use a really old Giardinelli New York 7S. It's really good all over the chart and very "user friendly". Too bad they're not easy to find. My second pick would be either Marcinkiewicz E10.3 Bobby Shew 1.25 MP or Marcinkiewicz E12.4 Roger Ingram MP. Both are excellent. These are my top 3 when doing salsa gigs.
soulfire
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrassTommy92 wrote:
My second pick would be either Marcinkiewicz E10.3 Bobby Shew 1.25 MP or Marcinkiewicz E12.4 Roger Ingram MP. Both are excellent. These are my top 3 when doing salsa gigs.

HA! I hate the Shew 1.25. I just don't like how it feels on my chops and I have no idea why. I've used the 1.75 as my primary jazz mouthpiece since 2008 and for years used the Shew 1 for lead playing and in drum corps. Just goes to show, what works for one person does not for another person. Interesting stuff.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soulfire wrote:
BrassTommy92 wrote:
My second pick would be either Marcinkiewicz E10.3 Bobby Shew 1.25 MP or Marcinkiewicz E12.4 Roger Ingram MP. Both are excellent. These are my top 3 when doing salsa gigs.

HA! I hate the Shew 1.25. I just don't like how it feels on my chops and I have no idea why. I've used the 1.75 as my primary jazz mouthpiece since 2008 and for years used the Shew 1 for lead playing and in drum corps. Just goes to show, what works for one person does not for another person. Interesting stuff.
The way you set your lips in the mouthpiece and what you are used to determines a lot. If you are used to a huge mouthpiece and using lots of lip inside the cup, a 3C will yield a bright piercing sound. If you are used to a smaller piece, the 3C will give you a thicker symphonic sound.
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purviance 4*k4, Greg Black 3C or NY2, really anything that gets you a FAT sound and can get you to the end of the 4th set!
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have done literally thousands of salsa gigs in san diego and LA, and absolutley play whatever you would play lead in a big band on. And crucial is having a reflector in your case for those very common times when the monitors are not loud enough. Those are a life saver. I will say that in the last 10 years or so, club volume has come down a bit, cuz more PA speakers are around the room. BUT it can still get brutal. If you are playing second all night i would still play whatever you would play lead in a big band on. i used to use earplugs a lot 15 years ago cuz that was the only way to hear yourself. You could play as loud as possible not hear one note played. Earplugs suck though. Still my favorite kind of gig to do. great people and great music, and you really feel like you played the trumpet afterwards.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.warburton-usa.com/index.php/customer-endorsements/41-endorsements/189-Joenuel%20Lebron

The ID on this Warburton is the same as the Reeves 42/ Purviance 8/4*K4. It is in the 3-5 range.

I played a lot of Latin gigs in Chicago. I was using a Benge 5X with a Giardinelli 7M mouthpiece, and later the Purviance. I want a bright but phat sound. the Curry * (star) cups and 600 series are also worth considering and the price is reasonable. The Patrick Jettone inspired pieces are good. Don't get lost in all this.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowave wrote:
Purviance 4*k4, Greg Black 3C or NY2, really anything that gets you a FAT sound and can get you to the end of the 4th set!
+1...my custom piece was based on Greg's NY5, and used with either my Benge or
Calicchio is the perfect match for what I need in sound, range, and endurance.
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: What mouthpiece Reply with quote

The question is silly because I may use "X" mouthpiece but it may NOT work for you because your embouchure, teeth, etc. ARE NOT THE SAME!!!
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: What mouthpiece Reply with quote

Claude1949 wrote:
The question is silly because I may use "X" mouthpiece but it may NOT work for you because your embouchure, teeth, etc. ARE NOT THE SAME!!!

Really...I didn't know that. Thanks for explaining that, I thought everyone was the same!

The question wasn't so much about the mouthpiece, as it was about the kind of sound used in latin/salsa. Since I have no experience there whatsoever, I don't know if people use special equipment to achieve said sound. Just like how 'deep mouthpieces' are used for classical music, and 'lead pieces' for commercial, there could be a common denominator in their equipment that could help me narrow down my search when looking for my own.

That being said, I thank everyone for their renewed interest in this thread. It's insightul.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: