• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Testing New Instruments

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject: Testing New Instruments Reply with quote

I believe that instrument manufacturers are dropping the ball when they employ professional musicians to play test their products.

We all know that a professional will be able to play almost any instrument well but many instruments are intended for the student market which has its own rigors.

It is very noticeable that the play testing does not extend to test the robustness of the instrument.

I believe that play testing should extend to sitting on the instrument and play fighting with it and maybe resting it on a music stand and then hitting the music stand with a baseball bat.

Cases could be run over by a car tyre and mutes shoved into novel places not generally intended for them to occupy.

I suspect that chinese made instruments would not fare well in these tests and this could stimulate sales of western made instruments that do not fold up like a pretzel just as soon as they are handled in the real world of marching band.

We might also see job opportunities for accident prone and less gifted musicians in the new testing environment.

"Tested by Keystone Cops" could be the new advertising catchphrase. Uniform and night stick are optional.

Here to help
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Testing New Instruments Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
I believe that instrument manufacturers are dropping the ball when they employ professional musicians to play test their products.

We all know that a professional will be able to play almost any instrument well but many instruments are intended for the student market which has its own rigors.

It is very noticeable that the play testing does not extend to test the robustness of the instrument.

I believe that play testing should extend to sitting on the instrument and play fighting with it and maybe resting it on a music stand and then hitting the music stand with a baseball bat.

Cases could be run over by a car tyre and mutes shoved into novel places not generally intended for them to occupy.

I suspect that chinese made instruments would not fare well in these tests and this could stimulate sales of western made instruments that do not fold up like a pretzel just as soon as they are handled in the real world of marching band.

We might also see job opportunities for accident prone and less gifted musicians in the new testing environment.

"Tested by Keystone Cops" could be the new advertising catchphrase. Uniform and night stick are optional.

Here to help

Don´t forget those recently graduated from the University of Silly Walks!
Once I held my beautiful Eb/D Selmer trumpet behind my butt, with both hands - then I was reminded of a special course in making silly "stand at attention" steps.... and succeeded in kicking the bell.....
Had to polish my old french - corresponding with Monsieur Henri Selmer himself, the professional trumpet repair man.

I think your are on something very significant here; some horns are fragile, some not. My 50 year old King is completely free of dents....a real battle axe whereas my RC soon got some dents - now cured. I treat it like a baby now.
Things ain´t what they used to be.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had quite forgot the silly walk thank you for reminding me and coupled with the standing to attention steps, that right there is an accident waiting to happen.

Thank you for your measured comments I feel better now that I know someone of stature agrees with my concerns.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like my horns "Juilliard grad" approved. At least I know I'm not in as much debt as the last guy who played it!
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Testing new instruments Reply with quote

I can only confirm my belief that any day that includes a little "Monty Python" is better in many ways. I didn't know until today that John Cleese was a virtuoso instrument tester.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Testing new instruments Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
I can only confirm my belief that any day that includes a little "Monty Python" is better in many ways. I didn't know until today that John Cleese was a virtuoso instrument tester.

And don´t mention the.........and now for someone completely(?) different - the legendary, elusive, intermittently appearing from nowhere, or out of the blue Mr Murphy! But he can be outwitted: once, sitting in the front row I for some obscure reason dropped my Getzen Custom, but but.....,managed to catch it one feet above the floor.... The entire saxhorn section watching the drama made a spontaneus storm of applause. No wonder, apropos the list price of a new Custom., Julliard approven or not.
Seriously - the guy must be included amongst the horn testers.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: