• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horns with slow taper bell

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrKristensen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remembered this, as a curiosity - the "Extended Range Altissimo (ERA) trumpets" of the seventies. I have never played one, but from the photos that's a very s-l-o-w taper right there

https://contemporacorner.com/trumpets/era-trumpets/

Maybe someone has played one of these specialized trumpets?
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!! this is is exactly the bell I had in my mind , never saw this again, I really want to try one of those , thanks buddy.
The funny is that my post was referring to slow bell behavior and the most answers was for the sound...!!!

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bell looks very similar to my Getzen eterna C the easiest horn I ever had.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
DrKristensen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please share your experience if you come across one! I see now that OldSchoolEuph also mentioned these horns, I didn't see it at first.

Here is a post and a video referencing these horns here on TH as well (I found it when searching for the Cardwell bell mentioned by OldSchoolEuph; thanks!) - https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1505143
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure this will be my new horn safari , I hope to found one in good condition.,I will post a review when I make it.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stock bell Olds used with the CHR/ERA models was at the less extreme end (vs the 2okHz cut-off that looks like a stretched and exaggerated picc bell). With my usual Schilke 17d4d, I can put some core in it and its not overly piercing in tone - it is still a little metallic though.

Because it has such a niche tone, I am in the midst presently of modifying three other bells to fit the ERA so as to make a more complete/flexible kit capable of meeting a diverse set of commercial/studio uses. In order of decreasing slowness, they are a prewar F.Besson Brevete, a pre-war F.Besson Meha, and an original Bel Canto. I am anticipating the set as a whole will be pretty sweet.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
kramergfy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
The stock bell Olds used with the CHR/ERA models was at the less extreme end (vs the 2okHz cut-off that looks like a stretched and exaggerated picc bell). With my usual Schilke 17d4d, I can put some core in it and its not overly piercing in tone - it is still a little metallic though.

Because it has such a niche tone, I am in the midst presently of modifying three other bells to fit the ERA so as to make a more complete/flexible kit capable of meeting a diverse set of commercial/studio uses. In order of decreasing slowness, they are a prewar F.Besson Brevete, a pre-war F.Besson Meha, and an original Bel Canto. I am anticipating the set as a whole will be pretty sweet.

I don't know what Bel Canto you're measuring; the Severinsen/Akright models? The model 54 was supposed to be a 37. I had one, and it was not a slow taper at all. Very meaty, fundamental sounding horn actually. Not sure if you were implying it was a slow taper or not, but that was my experience with it.

AFA those Olds horns, there's a video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyr-DosEMbI&feature=emb_title

*looks like it was posted above too*

I think it's important to also consider that bell flare is one aspect, and it seems to mostly impact the projeciton pattern of the horn, and the overall taper can change the sound. Which is why the Calicchio 1s bell looks nothing like any of these bells, but is considered a "bright, projecting laser" sound. Horns with these flat looking rims project a bright sound very wide it seems.

One thing also, about horn design in general, is that it's important to consider balance with those smaller bell horns. My Conn 24b plays best with a deeper, open mouthpiece for example. I can get impossibly crisp articulations this way, with plenty of core in the sound. Someone said that mouthpiece is the most important aspect of the sound; I believe its a marriage of the bell and the mouthpiece, as well as the overall resistance of the horn in relation to the effort of the player. Everything must be in balance.

Thread killer.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is my plan. A super slow taper has limited application. Adding the Brevete, a slow, but not drastically so, taper, then the Meha that is faster still, then the Bel Canto is, as noted, essentially a 37 - starting to go in the fast direction. It will make a flexible set. (If the case had a fifth slot, I'ld finish with a lightweight 72 to get all the way to the fast end of the spectrum)

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the Reynolds horns that I bought on a lark. It's just sitting in the case. I was hoping it would be a good pit horn, but I get a better result with my Xeno 20th Anniversary, which is pretty much the polar opposite, with a 5-1/4" bell...

HTH

Ben
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slowest tapered trumpet I know is my Getzen Eterna 700; if I place this horn on a stock K&M trumpet stand the stand will stick to the bell!
She doesn't sound very bright, I think that is because the 700 Eterna is not a so called pro horn, doesn't cost like a pro horn either so you get what you pay for. Very good playing horn though!
Second slow tapered horn is my Olds Studio 1948. That horn sounds like a slow tapered horn as well: Very bright. She doesn't stick on a stock K&M horns stand
I guess you should play this horn with a deeper mouthpiece but I don't like to play with deeper mouthpieces so the Olds Studio I use just for fun, not for gigs of rehearsels
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel de los Campos wrote:
The slowest tapered trumpet I know is my Getzen Eterna 700; if I place this horn on a stock K&M trumpet stand the stand will stick to the bell!
She doesn't sound very bright, I think that is because the 700 Eterna is not a so called pro horn, doesn't cost like a pro horn either so you get what you pay for. Very good playing horn though!
Second slow tapered horn is my Olds Studio 1948. That horn sounds like a slow tapered horn as well: Very bright. She doesn't stick on a stock K&M horns stand
I guess you should play this horn with a deeper mouthpiece but I don't like to play with deeper mouthpieces so the Olds Studio I use just for fun, not for gigs of rehearsels

My Lawler 2003 TL5-1A sticks to the k&m stand also but this dont happens with the TL5 horns are made after 2005 , I solve this problem with a spider stand.

Regards[/img]
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My King Super 20 Symphony DB has a pretty slow bell taper. It also gets stuck on the K & M stand. I have to use a Spyder stand with it.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara wrote:

I solve this problem with a spider stand.

Regards[/img]

I put the stand on a lathe, solved the problem in 10 minutes or so
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: