• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bought a used trumpet: I know nothing about it. Conn SS1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetown

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Bought a used trumpet: I know nothing about it. Conn SS1 Reply with quote

Found this horn yesterday on the Facebook Marketplace. The guy only wanted $115 for it with the case, 3 mouthpieces and 4 or 5 mutes.

It's a Conn. On the bell it says:

C.G. Conn LTD
USA
SS1.

So I guess it's a Conn SS1, but it does not say Doc Severinsen anywhere on the trumpet.

The serial number is 303xxx which I believe dates it to 1983.

It needs some work. It's dirty on the inside and I haven't played it yet.

At some point it was dropped on the bell where it meets the 1st valve. The damage is minor, but still, it's a bit bent down there.

There's no serial numbers on the valves which is a bit odd I think. Maybe that's normal. There is only one water key. It's on the tuning slide. The 3rd valve slide ring isn't adjustable, which is what caught my eye in the first place.

The receipt from when the horn was purchased was inside the case believe it or not. It's a Sam Ash receipt from 1989. The details on the receipt about what type of horn it is has been destroyed by spilt valve oil. The price paid back then was $290 which seems kinda low for an SS1. Maybe not.

There's also a bit of original Conn paperwork inside the case. One is a description of the water key (Armado) and how to take care of it. The other is a slip of paper that says the name of the Conn employee who inspected the horn: Greg Estes.

All in all, it's in very good condition. The lacquer is really good with only a few spots that need to be polished up a bit.

Here's some photos. If anyone knows anything about this horn, please let me know. I don't think it's a Doc Sev SS1, but who knows. For the price I think it was a great deal.

Last edited by Trumpetown on Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
seilogramp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was some talk about the SS1 here: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1225852
1972 Getzen Eterna 900S
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Conn SS 1 Reply with quote

I believe your horn is indeed a Severinsen Conn but was made to the same design after Severinsen and Conn separated. That marriage was short lived and Conn continued that model for a while. By the way, Doc hated the Amado keys after using them for many years on his Getzen's.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Conn SS 1 Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
I believe your horn is indeed a Severinsen Conn but was made to the same design after Severinsen and Conn separated. That marriage was short lived and Conn continued that model for a while. By the way, Doc hated the Amado keys after using them for many years on his Getzen's.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

Wow, I have something in common with Doc!😉

Brad
Trumpetown

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seilogramp wrote:
There was some talk about the SS1 here: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1225852

I saw that thread. Too bad he didn't put up any pics though.

Do you know what years the Doc SS1's made made? I thought I saw online it was between 1983 and 1985.

My serial number is 1983 I think. Which means Sam Ash sold the trumpet used.
Trumpetown

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent all afternoon cleaning up this horn and making it playable.

It plays very nice and open. It's loud and bright. I don't have to work quite as hard to get sound out of it as I do my Olds. And no, I did not magically gain an octave of range. It's the same as the Olds.

I'm really happy with it. It's beautiful and shines like a gem. One hell of a score for $115.

That being said, it needs a valve job. The 1st valve seems to be working perfect, but the 2nd is catching on something. I can feel it rubbing on something down there. I looked through the 2nd valve slide; it doesn't look quite right, so it needs to be serviced. The cork on the 3rd valve crumbled to pieces when I took it apart.

I don't know of anyone in Vegas who can do a bang up valve job on it. Maybe Kessler & Sons, but I'd be willing to ship it out somewhere to get it done right.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it may just need a good professional cleaning and overhaul with some attention to the valves, perhaps a valve alignment which would come with new synthetic felts.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Trumpetown

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take it down to Kessler on Wednesday and see what they can do.
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetown wrote:
The 1st valve seems to be working perfect, but the 2nd is catching on something. I can feel it rubbing on something down there

Check for a tiny dent on the casing of the 2nd valve. I don't see any casing dents in the pictures though. Otherwise see if a small force one way or another on the second valve slide relieves the problem. If not, maybe the valve guide is not sliding smoothly in its groove.
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a bit more info, check out this post:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5586&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

I had an SS1 for a short period of time, which has a .459 ML bore, but found the blow to be very tight for me...most likely due to the leadpipe used on this model. I remember reading somewhere that Dave Monette designed the leadpipe for the SS1, but I can't find that post at the moment. As stated in the referenced posting, the SS1 was the model Doc played.

I picked up an SS4 several months ago, which has a .464 L bore, and personally like this horn a great deal more than the SS1. It has a much freer blow in both the upper and lower register for me, and does not play quite as bright as the SS1 did in my hands. It is really fun to play in Big Band.
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregplo wrote:
For a bit more info, check out this post:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5586&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

I had an SS1 for a short period of time, which has a .459 ML bore, but found the blow to be very tight for me...most likely due to the leadpipe used on this model. I remember reading somewhere that Dave Monette designed the leadpipe for the SS1, but I can't find that post at the moment. As stated in the referenced posting, the SS1 was the model Doc played.

I picked up an SS4 several months ago, which has a .464 L bore, and personally like this horn a great deal more than the SS1. It has a much freer blow in both the upper and lower register for me, and does not play quite as bright as the SS1 did in my hands. It is really fun to play in Big Band.

Check out ScottA’s post on page one of the post you linked to. He explains Monette designed the leadpipe.
Trumpetown

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond16 wrote:
Trumpetown wrote:
The 1st valve seems to be working perfect, but the 2nd is catching on something. I can feel it rubbing on something down there

Check for a tiny dent on the casing of the 2nd valve. I don't see any casing dents in the pictures though. Otherwise see if a small force one way or another on the second valve slide relieves the problem. If not, maybe the valve guide is not sliding smoothly in its groove.

I took the valve out and cleaned the cylinder with some cheese cloth. Also cleaned the piston all over again and put it back together. Seemed to help a little bit, but things are a bit scratchy.

I gotta take it to someone.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned two Conn SS1s. If I recall correctly, the ones made during Conn's brief partnership with Doc Severinsen had a special serial number (4-digit?). I had one of those and thought that it was a nice horn. I played some concerts in the park with it one summer, and it was terrific for that purpose.

The other SS1 had a six digit serial number, and didn't play as well. Not a bad horn; just not the same. I wondered if it was truly the same trumpet -- just without the Severinsen name -- or if Conn started putting the leftover SS1 bells on other horns.

Enjoy your SS1!
Trumpetown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
I've owned two Conn SS1s. If I recall correctly, the ones made during Conn's brief partnership with Doc Severinsen had a special serial number (4-digit?). I had one of those and thought that it was a nice horn. I played some concerts in the park with it one summer, and it was terrific for that purpose.

The other SS1 had a six digit serial number, and didn't play as well. Not a bad horn; just not the same. I wondered if it was truly the same trumpet -- just without the Severinsen name -- or if Conn started putting the leftover SS1 bells on other horns.

Enjoy your SS1!

Did your SS1 have Docs name on it?
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If I recall correctly, the one with the four digit serial number had his name on the bell. The other one did not.
Trumpetown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Quote:

If I recall correctly, the one with the four digit serial number had his name on the bell. The other one did not.

Interesting. Wish I could see a photo. I can't find one anywhere.
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bit of history from the Conn Loyalist:
https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnArt27-TRP.html

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnArticle27.html
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
Trumpetown

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregplo wrote:
A little bit of history from the Conn Loyalist:
https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnArt27-TRP.html

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/ConnArticle27.html

Thanks for this. It looks like all SS1's were Severinsens.
Trumpetown

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my horn back from the shop today. It looks amazing.

All in all, he did an excellent job dealing with the smaller issues:

Chem clean
Dents removed
Bell dents removed where it meets the 1st valve
New corks and felts
Servicing the slides and getting the tuning slide lined up.

The issue that wasn't resolved was the sticky valves. On appearance, the valves look brand new. Still, the 1st and 2nd get stuck on the way up while I'm playing. The 3rd needs some attention also.

Since the horn is perfectly clean, the valve action is being caused by something other than some type of build up getting in the way. There's a bit of scratching. I believe it's coming from the valve guides and the springs.

First course of action is to replace the springs. They're old and have a bit of discoloration on both ends. I don't know why this wasn't addressed. Maybe he didn't take a close enough look or thought they were fine, but I'm going to put some new ones in there.

If that doesn't work, I'm going in there with some toothpaste as suggested by a pro on YouTube whom you are all familiar with.

If that doesn't work out, the horn is going to a valve guy.

Can anyone help me get the right springs? Is there a specific type that needs to go in there?

Last edited by Trumpetown on Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetown wrote:
I got my horn back from the shop today. It looks amazing.

All in all, he did an excellent job dealing with the smaller issues:

Chem clean
Dents removed
Bell dents removed where it meets the 1st valve
New corks and felts

The issue that wasn't resolved was the sticky valves. On appearance, the valves look brand new. Still, the 1st and 2nd get stuck on the way up while I'm playing. The 3rd needs some attention also.

Since the horn is perfectly clean, the valve action is being caused by something other than some type of build up getting in the way. There's a bit of scratching. I believe it's coming from the valve guides and the springs.

First course of action is to replace the springs. They're old and have a bit of discoloration on both ends. I don't know why this wasn't addressed. Maybe he didn't take a close enough look or thought they were fine, but I'm going to put some new ones in there.

If that doesn't work, I'm going in there with some toothpaste as suggested by a pro on YouTube whom you are all familiar with.

If that doesn't work out, the horn is going to a valve guy.

Can anyone help me get the right springs? Is there a specific type that needs to go in there?

A good shop wouldn't have returned the horn to you with valve issues. Old chem clean makes me doubt the quality of service as most top shops now use ultrasonic cleaning machines. Sorry to hear you are still having troubles with a great Conn SS1 trumpet.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: