• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Théo Charlier Etudes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stutrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Théo Charlier Etudes Reply with quote

I have been enjoying and been inspired by Häken's Youtube recordings of the 36 Etudes (think he's up to no 12 so far). However, although most seem to perform them as written for C trumpet I have noticed some treat them as for Bb. Then I came across one chap using a rotary C but transposing down as if for Bb.

Can anyone tell me if they were originally written for C trumpet or Bb please?
seilogramp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that since Charlier wrote these as etudes (studies), there is no correct key. In most of the videos I've seen they are either played as written on a Bb instrument or transposed to Bb on a C trumpet. I see Hardenberger playing on a C trumpet without transposing. Jim Wilt playing on C trumpet and transposing some of them. Conversely, I've yet to see anyone playing on Bb and transposing to C trumpet.

You could ask Jim Wilt (MrClean) on his From the Safety of My Practice Room thread.
1972 Getzen Eterna 900S
Stutrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:51 pm    Post subject: Theo Charlier Etudes Reply with quote

Thanks Phil. I have now found a copy with the forward page by Charlier in which he says they are for:
'CORNET A PISTONS ou BUGLE Si b'

So, I'm sure they were written for Bb instruments. Having said that, I think the intention is to advance students and encourage them to play in any key to aid e.g. transposition practice.

I'm working on them after warming up with James Stamp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: