• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Favorite Trumpet you own?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blownchops

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: Favorite Trumpet you own? Reply with quote

I figure this could be fun!

What is your favorite horn you own and why? It does not have to be your best playing but just one you love.

For me it has to be my King 2008At C. Its an obscure C with not a lot written about it but I love it. It plays well and just feels good to play. Its kinda silly, but I like the way it looks and it fits super comfortably in my hand, which is not super common for me.

A close second would be my Boosey and Hawkes Oxford Bb. It was my first "Step-up" horn from a noname Chinese horn. I bought it with my own money at like 15 from a goodwill and I was so proud to have bought my own trumpet. The valves on it have pretty much bought the farm but the horn will always live in my closet based on sentimental value alone. A side note, this horn has by far the best high range of any horn I have owned or tried which I find very interesting.

I am interested to learn about the horns that Y'all cherish and the stories behind them.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that you said 'horn' and not neccesarily trumpet...

It's a short list in my case, since I own only 2 trumpets. The first is a Getzen 700SP which I got from my parents at age 10 or so. It's rather special to me because of that specific fact. I've played it for about 2 decades on all manner of gigs. And then I got my favorite horn...

...a 1970 Olds Recording that my former trumpet teacher wanted to sell. Funnily enough, I had decided that week to browse ebay for vintage mouthpieces and then he mentioned he was selling it. I'd never heard of Olds or even considered buying a new instrument. The first time I tried it was after a practice sessions where I'd bottomed out and my chops were pretty sore...and I just couldn't put it down. To this day, it still suits me better than any horn I've tried. It's somewhat quirky compared to the Yamaha's and Bachs that my fellow players play, but that fits my character. And the sound...

Apart from that, I'm currently loaning my grandfather's French Horn from my mother (who's also a French Horn player). It's an antique Knopf that even poor French Horn player like me can give a fantastic French Horn sound. It's a family heirloom of sorts, and I hope that one day'll be able to pass it to my daughter so she can play it with pride.

Oh, and there's a bass trumpet I picked up for less than 100 euro's a few years back. It's mostly for fun, with stuck valves and such, but it's a big hit with young trumpeteers. It's often borrowed by one of them over the years.
Dennis78
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that I have. If I don’t love them I donate them. But on top of my list is my Holton B47, it’s just a fantastic horn and suites me well.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two favorites: my Martin Schmidt rotary. Perfect horn, almost plays itself and has that rotary sound. Dream horn.

The other one is my Chinese bass trumpet. First bass trumpet I ever played or owned but it is so much fun. I am saving money for a really good one, but ask me again in a few years ...
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love all mine, too, but top of the heap is my 1952 Selmer. It plays easy and always sounds sweet and warm.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornets: 1903 Conn "The Wonder," Late 40's H. N. White, "Clevelander"
Trumpets: 1937 Cleveland "Toreador," Early 60's Conn Victor 22B
Baritone: 1935 Conn 64I
French Horn: Mid 60's Reynolds double horn
Mellophone: Early 1900's Conn

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
RAS100

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a 1919 Conn 80A New Wonder and I haven't cleaned it up but it would be hard to beat my 1962 Conn Constellation that my dad bought me over 50 years ago. I passed the horn on to a young trumpet student and I hope he know what a great horn he has.[/img]
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Schilke B1 I bought 14 years ago and have played it virtually everyday since.
I've used it in orchestras, concert bands, big bands, quintets, for soloing, and church. It never fails me and using the right mouthpiece for the job in hand, fits everywhere.
I paid $1900 for it brand new and can get $1500 for it now. It is not going anywhere, though.
The only horn close to it was my Burbank Benge 5X that I got new in high school. Wore it out 20 years later.
R. Tomasek
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thane. It does what I want it to do.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weirdo thread
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen 900 Eterna Classic, Lacquered. It's the old Severinsen brought back under a different name.

I have had several strokes and need as light a horn as I can find. So, I got a Yamaha Shew. Excellent horn but just a little too "vanilla" for me. I've got a Schilke B-1 that does it all, like said above, but a little too heavy for me. (Starting to sound like Snow White). But this Getzen is light enough and versatile enough, that it is my go-to horn.

One thing about sound. One negative about the Severinsen is, for me, there has been a dividing line between it's ability to do everything an all-around horn can do until you get to a darker sound that I need for jazz soloing.

Many have said there's no difference between Silver and Lacquered horns but there is with this one. Could just be the horn. But there is a difference. I played the original Severinsen in college and the military and soul bands, so I do know the horn.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
Burbank Benge 5X
+1
I have a few Benges that are a lot of fun to play...favorite? Doesn't exist as
they are all different yet equally special.

However, I'm sure in a few weeks when I get my custom Del Quadro that it
will qualify as the main axe for quite a while!

Peace...
seilogramp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a very large inventory at my disposal. I find myself gravitating to the Schilke C1L without even thinking about it. Sometimes even if there's a low concert F in the piece.

In order of preference.

1. Schilke C1L C trumpet - From behind the horn this sounds the best and most resonant. Bought new in 1978 at the original Schilke factory store in Chicago. Can't imagine being without it.
    2. Getzen Eterna 900S Bb trumpet - We've been together since 1972, so I do still love this piece of metal. Still prefer the Schilke if I had to choose.
    3. Bach CR300 cornet - Student model that's fun to play occasionally, but doesn't sound that great. See my wishlist if you want to buy me a Schilke A1 cornet. Thank you in advance.🙏
    4. Schilke P5-4 piccolo trumpet - Only rarely play. Just for fun.

1972 Getzen Eterna 900S
    Brad361
    Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
    Weirdo thread

Really? A trumpet forum, and posted in the “Horns” section....

Maybe not of interest to someone, but “ weirdo?”

Brad
    AndyDavids
    Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
    delano wrote:
    Weirdo thread

Really? A trumpet forum, and posted in the “Horns” section....

Maybe not of interest to someone, but “ weirdo?”

Brad
    Don't feed the trolls...if you ignore them, hopefully they will go away!

Aaaand now...a favorite that I own is a Schilke, one that I want is Hub Van Laar
    Andy Del
    Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When one has a rather large number of horns on hand to do battle with yourself, it becomes a strangely awkward answer.

In many ways, the music dictates what is my favourite horn. But my go to's are:

Bb - Kanstul 1500A
    C - Thein MH 4 valve
    Picc - Thein

cheers

Andy
    VetPsychWars
    Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold most of mine.

#1 Buescher Lightweight 400, Model 228. Double-thick silver, gold bell, rebuilt valves, new slide tubes. You only wish you had a horn like this.

#2 Buescher 400, Model 225. Lacquer. Grandfather's horn, what I learned to play on.

#3 Buescher 400 cornet, Model 275. The cornet that plays like a trumpet but sounds like a cornet. Lots of fun.

These horns are still better than a lot of horns out there, still inexpensive, still worth your while to find.

Tom
    GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
    shofarguy
    Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have kept the two horns that give me the most joy. See Signature below.

You asked for the story.

It was 2009. I was 5 years into a comeback and played mostly at my church in Southern California. We had a little ensemble "orchestra" for our traditional services and I had formed a brass section I called "Shofar" for the contemporary worship venue. That name was already taken when I signed up for TH, so the user name "Shofarguy" was invented.

Somewhere into my career as a TH poster, Allen Laschiver contacted me and asked if I would work with Byron Autrey to bring his harmonic balancers to market and perhaps a trumpet under his own brand name. I had met Byron over the phone and loved the history and insights he shared about Benge, Kanstul, Schilke and other manufacturers he'd worked with over his long career. When I approached him about Allen's idea, he agreed. We would talk each week and between times, I also negotiated with Zig Kanstul who agreed to make one prototype in lacquer for $750.00. I was just about to finalize the specs for this prototype when Byron came on the phone and angrily pulled out of the project. The only thing I can think of is that he got frightened that I would take his work and cheat him out of the horn.

Just a few weeks after that, Flip Oakes sent me a private message and invited me to come to his shop with my horns and see his operation. He offered to let me play his horns, if I wanted to do so. I went down to Oceanside and met one of the best friends I've ever had. I spent probably 6 hours with him that day. I played a his Wild Thing trumpet that he had just finished setting up. It was exactly what I had wanted to develop with Byron. I just didn't know that the sound and playing characteristics were already available in Flip's masterpiece.

By the end of the day, I had offered to write an article about his trumpet that would address the misconceptions and objections I had found online when I researched the Wild Thing prior to my visit. Flip agreed to work with me on that and another article I had previously committed to write, which needed another player to help compare two horns. This is how our 11 year collaboration began. The following week, Flip met me at my church for the comparison and brought a few extra trumpets along, as well. One of those was the very Wild Thing I had played that first meeting. "It was supposed to ship out to another customer," he told me, "but you liked it so much, I set up another one to ship to him." Later, he would tell me that, if I would write that article, he would make sure I could have that trumpet.

So, I wrote "Where the Wild Things Are." and "Into the Wild Thing." Those two threads caused a 6 month spike in sales that Flip sorely needed. They spawned another 6 or so threads from other posters. I also wrote about the Celebration, the WT flugelhorn and the many, many posts about the cornets and C trumpet. In fact, I've been able to keep up to date with all of Flip's products and have thoroughly enjoyed them. Most of all, I've enjoyed knowing Flip and his wife Joyce. They are my dearest friends.

For now, the Wild Thing line is gone. Used WT instruments are a worthy investment in fine horn design both to play actively and to collect, in my opinion. I'm keeping mine. They are the best horns I've ever owned and at least equal to anything I've ever played.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
    Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
    cbtj51
    Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing my Bach CL229/25A every day for a few weeks prepping for a solo church performance tomorrow morning (livestreaming), so it's my favourite right now, then I'll go back to one of my other favourite horns until a specific need comes around (not very often these days). I do have another livestreaming church solo performance in mid August, so I'll need to choose another favourite. Depending on the particular piece, probably my old Yamaha 6335. It's always fun to play. Of course my favourite daily players are my Benge 5x and my NY7. I tend to switch back and forth between those two continually, so... I like all of my horns a lot!
    ‘92 Bach 37 Bb
    '98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
    '00 Bach 184 Cornet
    '02 Yamaha 8335RGS
    '16 Bach NY 7
    '16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
    Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces

Last edited by cbtj51 on Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dale Proctor
    Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1976 Bach ML Strad with a 43 bell. Bought it in a junk store for $125 around 1980. Does everything well, so it’s been my main trumpet since I bought it.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
    Page 1 of 7

Jump to: