• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lung/wind developer?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Lung/wind developer? Reply with quote

I've had an operation on my lungs that has affixed them to the surrounding tissues. It has resulted in shorter breath.

Additionally, I have had a couple of strokes and I think that has affected my breathing, too.

Last but not least, I'm both in a wheelchair an am quarantined, so my ability to get out and do some meaningful exercise is next to nil.

So, I am looking for a good lung/wind apparatus that I could use. Not looking for anything fancy. I'm the kind f Martial Artist who is (was) used to using fundamental things for strength development. And I'm cheap and not impressed by micro-analysing aspects of playing. I just want a simple wind/strength device that, frankly, would replace more strenuous exercise.

I've searches and wasn't successful. Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
thsd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not tried this, but it looks like it could help:

https://www.amazon.com/Expand-A-Lung-Breathing-Fitness-Exerciser/dp/B00JWTRA5I/ref=pd_bxgy_img_3/144-8828353-2078858?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00JWTRA5I&pd_rd_r=111bf52d-c800-432f-8006-7f154eb7010e&pd_rd_w=8mcuU&pd_rd_wg=zLZqL&pf_rd_p=ce6c479b-ef53-49a6-845b-bbbf35c28dd3&pf_rd_r=HKWDZ1J9DH6TGTCQ8CNA&psc=1&refRID=HKWDZ1J9DH6TGTCQ8CNA

There are other similar products at the link, but this is reasonably priced and has great reviews.
jmtrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used one of these in the past and found it super helpful. A few Chicago-school teachers I've studied with encouraged it; it's also pretty inexpensive, which is a nice bonus.

https://www.vitalitymedical.com/hudson-rci-voldyne-5000-volumetric-exerciser-spirometer.html?network=g&device=c&keyword=&campaign=896714081&adgroup=pla-342756050388&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpNr4BRDYARIsAADIx9yrmM0sCbSomXVcWdlIqynp-9NIXhvwR_XWFTLhzw3bTWuE39kSfzsaAkB4EALw_wcB
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thsd wrote:
I have not tried this, but it looks like it could help:

https://www.amazon.com/Expand-A-Lung-Breathing-Fitness-Exerciser/dp/B00JWTRA5I

It looks like this device increases the resistance when inhaling and exhaling. If there is a benefit, it is likely by strengthening accessory muscles (the muscles along your chest). This is also called "aerobic conditioning".

jmtrumpet wrote:
I've used one of these in the past and found it super helpful. A few Chicago-school teachers I've studied with encouraged it; it's also pretty inexpensive, which is a nice bonus.

https://www.vitalitymedical.com/hudson-rci-voldyne-5000-volumetric-exerciser-spirometer.html

This is a medical device, an "incentive spirometer". It helps recruit more lung alveoli (air sacs) in people who are unable to breath normally (for example, after a rib fracture). It may also help with aerobic condition, although that's not it's primary purpose.

Either of these devices might help you. Deep breathing exercises without a device might also help.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you've received some informative posts. This is a little off topic, but have you considered doing the Claude Gordon breathing exercises? I did them for years and it gave me a lot of power. I keep telling myself I need to go back to them to see if I can recover some of what asthma has taken from me, but I have yet to do it.
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on the Claude Gordon breathing exercises. I've had a couple students in wheel chairs or unable to walk or run. You can modify them and do them sitting.

It sounds like you were pretty physically fit before with doing martial arts. You know what that feels like. You can probably create something to develop strength and flexibility and breathing. Actually, playing various things on the trumpet does a good bit to develop things too.

The long held notes until completely empty will develop muscles for blowing and get you used to using all of your air. The flexibility studies that coordinate tongue level and wind power train you to sync things to play more efficiently. All of us need to gain more efficiency and you need it perhaps more than the average person.

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered one of those devices, but I think I'll go back and revisit my Gordon books, especially the "long held notes until completely empty" exercise. I used to do that but quit.

An aside, yeah Martian Arts. From Fourth degree Black Belt, trained in Japan, to the immobility of a wheelchair. Hard.

Thanks, folks.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Breathing aids Reply with quote

I have had very good success with a 6 inch length of 3/4 PVC pipe. Very cheap and with the ends trimmed neatly and sanitized it practically forces you to breath deeply when you inhale through it for a few minutes before starting to practice. Place in the mouth, inhale slowly and your throat will be wide open and the breath will start down low filling up the lungs until you feel it under your armpits. Nothing complicated here but effective.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Tony.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This idea might not be right for your situation, but playing a tuba can be 'fun'. I used to think my lung capacity was good. Not so after playing my kid's tuba. Wow, those low notes take a whole breath each.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the info and products on https://www.windsongpress.com/ Has a number of breathing aides and the classic book "Breathing Gym" or something like that.

HTH - Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: