• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bob Reeves

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CodySaucy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Bob Reeves Reply with quote

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and interested in your opinions and experiences with Bob Reeves, mostly his mouthpieces and process of customization. I know he puts a lot of focus on the gap, does that customization make a big difference? Same thing goes for his valve alignment.
Thanks!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Reeves mouthpiece and previously used Reeves-made Purviance mouthpieces for a long time. The work has been excellent. His valve alignment is, likewise, excellent.

Regarding a gap adjustment, you need to measure your gap and then you would have Reeves remove (if necessary) material from your mouthpiece so that the right mouthpiece-gap sleeve fits the mouthpiece.

The only alternative to doing the measurement of the gap is to take it to a tech and have them do it, or to send your mouthpiece and your horn to Reeves.

I don't have any experience with customization.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think CodySaucy is referring to using sleeves after he has his mouthpiece cut for sleeves.

Lots of users on TH swear by having their mouthpieces cut for sleeves so they can use Reeves or Stomvi sleeves to adjust the optimal mouthpiece gap. I have not experimented with that.

However, I have had Bob's shop align the valves on some of my trumpets. On one, it was a minimal improvement. On others, the difference was night and day. Many years ago, I had Wayne Tanabe align the valves on my Schilke S-32. It was big improvement as well.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that valve alignments are hugely important.

I did not find any benefit whatsoever to messing with mouthpiece gap / sleeves.

Reeves makes outstanding trumpet and flugelhorn mouthpieces. Best intonation of any flugel piece I've ever played.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reeves. Good to go.

Valve alignment. Good to go.

Gap. Meh.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been to Reeves's place many times. Good experiences.

I've had most of my horns aligned with only modest improvement but I really like that the precision felt replacements last a really long time.

It's worth trying the standard Reeves pieces to see if his rim size/shape suits you before worrying about customization.

Gap adjustment can make a big difference if your current set up is really off. I hate the stock Schilke Symphony on my Bach but with the proper sleeve it plays pretty well.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart

Last edited by cheiden on Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Reeves pieces since 2004 , I own more than 50 of his pieces including some customs and some vintage Purviance , I also had valve alignment in some of my horns and it really works but the sleeves system makes the difference , a horn that did work at all for me with the right sleeve it transformed to one of my favorite horns, I also had some horns problems fixed with the reciver ring and the cylinder reinforcer.
All his products are top notch and his mpcs life savers for many top pros in my country by the way I dont like the new leadpipe swab the old was better.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: