• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Progressive Lip Flexibilities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Progressive Lip Flexibilities Reply with quote

I just received Scott Belck's "Progressive Lip Flexibilities" and am really impressed by it. Like his previous book "Modern Flexibilities," this book is truly innovative and quite useful.

Each flexibility exercise consists of patters using at least two different harmonic series (e.g., open and 1st valve). Some of the patterns are rather complex, and they stress you and your chops in a slightly different way than Smith, Irons, Colin, Bai....It is almost as if a flexibilities book was combined with a technical studies book -- not a perfect description, but there is an element of that to the exercises.

I don't see his books as a pure replacement to the standard flexibilities books, per se, as much as I see them as wonderful supplemental material.

I highly recommend both of Scott Belck's books!
jeholifield02

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another book similar to Scott Belck’s books is Bai Lin’s “Lip Flexibility’s”. All of those are highly recommended if you want to work and improve on flexibility!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another book similar to Scott Belck’s books is Bai Lin’s “Lip Flexibility’s”.

I guess they are similar in that they are both flexibilities books, but the approaches Bai and Belck take are quite different.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this, Dayton. I found a YouTube video demonstration of this book by José Cháfer. The presenter speaks Spanish; English subtitles are available by clicking the CC button. This book looks and sounds interesting.
Piccolo Stomvi
michael_bxl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this book an improved version of the Modern Flexibilities for Brass book by the same author or a totally different book ? Thank you.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is this book an improved version of the Modern Flexibilities for Brass book by the same author or a totally different book ?

All new exercises in the same style as his previous book.
michael_bxl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:

All new exercises in the same style as his previous book.

Thank you. (I was asking because de first book is really more accessible all around the world.)
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton, I'm very impressed with these exercises. I just have a question about overlapping techniques.

Does the former Modern Flexibilities for Brass also contain the distinctive pattern of two-fingered exercises as the new one, or is the older more conventional and this newer one more innovative? Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does the former Modern Flexibilities for Brass also contain the distinctive pattern of two-fingered exercises as the new one, or is the older more conventional and this newer one more innovative? Thanks.

Yes it does, though it seems to me that Progressive Flexibilities gets into even more insidiously complex patterns than Modern Flexibilities does. Both books give your brain and your chops a workout.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
Thanks for sharing this, Dayton. I found a YouTube video demonstration of this book by José Cháfer. The presenter speaks Spanish; English subtitles are available by clicking the CC button. This book looks and sounds interesting.

Ok, I've decided I want this book.

The studies sound more engaging and musically interesting than simply slurring around the harmonic series as in other methods (a simplified description).

Thank you for posting the video link.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The studies sound more engaging and musically interesting than simply slurring around the harmonic series as in other methods (a simplified description).

I have, and use, all of the "standard" flexibility books: Bai, Colin, Gordon, Irons, Smith...They are quite useful, but generally not very interesting to practice. Belck's books are both useful and interesting. They challenge you physically and mentally. For me, that is a plus.
seilogramp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:
I found a YouTube video demonstration of this book by José Cháfer. The presenter speaks Spanish; English subtitles are available by clicking the CC button. This book looks and sounds interesting.

Here Scott discusses both books in a Master Class at the 2019 National Trumpet Competition.

Link

1972 Getzen Eterna 900S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: