• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

BE Set Up - Let go or Plan? PS Help with 5A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: BE Set Up - Let go or Plan? PS Help with 5A Reply with quote

Hello BE Explorers
As a happy BE student should one have ANY preconceived notions about embouchure when you start playing music (outside BE exercises) ? Have a plan which utilizes some of your BE insights or don't have a plan - just let go.

One day this week, I was playing Autumn in New York - I decided to go for a touch more roll in (bottom lip) to help play e and f top of staff and then add a touch roll in top lip to float up to the g.. seems to work really well. But now I have decided that for me maybe this (ready plan) is NOT the way to go forward.

The idea on the Inner Game of Tennis (2nd best book on how to unleash your trumpet potential to my mind!) is let go of control - give your "Self2" a nudge towards learning.. then let go - don't make the tennis shot.. just let it happen. (after I had read first 30 pages of this great book I stopped reading.. cos I reasoned idea is you need to work the rest out yourself - a bit like BE and one argument for why a BE volumn 2 would be counter productive!)

BUT both Serena Williams and Andy Murray in tennis will come on court with a plan which they will glance at surreptitiously (had to check spelling on that!) during the match and they have both been World Number 1.

I then read this post from Michael in NZ and this helped assure me I was backing the right horse (ie let go) Cos how can you plan for 1024 variables and on any given minute of any given day I'm assuming the variables change...

So where I am now (Only 3 months or so into BE) is think about for example RI RO / move my lips a bit for both (nudge towards learning) - then forget all that.. pick up the trumpet and go to New York....

So any comments on Let Go versus Plan?

But I like leaving the last word with Michael:

Quote:
To give an idea of how complex the embouchure is I list the major elements (in no particular order), each of which must work in a balanced and coordinated way with all the others:

1) Lip curl (RI)
2) Pucker (RO - sort of)
3) Lip to lip compression
4) Draw-string compression
5) Corner tension
6) Tongue position
7) Mouthpiece positionI
Lip tension
9) Air
10) Mouthpiece pressure

Now, if you just do a really simple calculation, and assume that a player uses or does not use each of these elements (I know, it's stupid, but bear with me), there are 1,024 unique combinations of these elements. If you assume there are various degrees of each, the number explodes into the millions - in other words, every persons' embouchure is truly unique.

Cheers Steve
PS ALS3 felt impossible... now its going great (thanks Ko) but ALS5a is the new ALS3 for me - any tips or help anyone?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the book carefully and practiced the exercises and didn't overthink/over analyse it.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I read the book carefully and practiced the exercises and didn't overthink/over analyse it.

Second that. Overthinking can really cause you to 'lock up' and hurt your playing more than it helps. Good luck with your studies!
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the BE process involve being mentally aware of what is happening while doing the exercises?
Is the process altered depending on how well the exercises are performed, and the results that are achieved?

Letting Go, or Just Do It doesn't mean to abandon all thought and control - it is focusing your attention to the specific goal and not having counterproductive distractions.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, I can't speak for the OP but not getting bogged down by "Paralysis from analysis" doesn't mean that playing the exercises are done mindlessly.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Does the BE process involve being mentally aware of what is happening while doing the exercises?
Is the process altered depending on how well the exercises are performed, and the results that are achieved?

Letting Go, or Just Do It doesn't mean to abandon all thought and control - it is focusing your attention to the specific goal and not having counterproductive distractions.

Jay

The BE way does make you very aware of the state of your embouchure.
It encourages you to test this or that - a truly thoughful approach. I began using the BE 5 years ago, still discovering.
In my opinion the exercises provide immediate feedback - but as mr Murphy says "if there is a way of doing something the wrong way, eventually somebody will discover it". Mr Smiley on the other hand encourages new ways - besides so generously offering help if you get stuck, or else.
Best method I ever met. Began playing 1958.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know if I am doing it right, but my BE practice and my gigging have gradually changed over the last year and a half. I started doing BE to see if it could be the key to unlocking a door that I had not yet been able to open. I practiced BE and tried to sound like the recordings. But my old flat chin embouchure refused to let go.

Even with this problem my range and endurance improved. I did not consciously try to implement BE into my performance embouchure, but it has gradually crept in. I like this because there was never a drastic change so I could keep gigging.

A couple of months ago I went back and started working on the bunched chin embouchure with a more rolled in embouchure. This hasn't really started to crep into my performance yet (not really any performance with Covid going on anyway)

I guess the bottom line is that I don't think about mechanics when I'm performing. I audiate while I play and try to let the horn sing what is in my head.
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys.. thanks for the replies already,
after discovering BE I'm like a young boy in the sweet store for the first time but I'm also pretty sure that just like Seymor I'll be opening new jars 5 years from now..

BE giving heightened awareness and license to experiment - good input - helps me feel a bit more "chill" - why should I lock down my learning blueprint now /ever? Some days playing music I can try out a bit of a rollin feel other days just play.. already 2 months in with BE I have a heightened awareness of how my lips feel and how that informs my practise..At any given moment I know (my lips are telling me) I can/cannot play a high c easily and this then determines what exercise or music I practise next. 2 months ago I would just press on regardless of lips intel.

My learning this week to sound like recordings is "Less is more" on the RO4 I really went for less top lip pressure (as I moved up) and it helped to get a big easy sound on the one above the g - (Bb I guess) but still thinner on the C above..

cheers for now Steve

PS I took a leaf out of your book Mike and tried to help Freshman Jerryardo on the high note forum - BE for "the one and only Jerryardo embouchure" but grammar and dentistry now seem to be the hot spots on that thread- hopefully Jerryardo feels less bewildered than I did!
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS
Here is the answer that maybe helps me as a BE novice most.. Bob Cross from 15 years ago:

Quote:
And don't at this point adopt a RI setting for your normal playing. You probably have not been doing BE long enough to think about changing to a RI setting for normal playing - most never do. I haven't. It's ok to tinker with it for fun, but keep it at that. Don't be consciously changing your setting at this point to reach where you think you should be or hope to be as a result of reading the book.

So allow time for BE to creep into your regular playing on its own schedule. Remember that it is an indirect method - you only use RI while you are doing the exercises that call for it - and then forget it. It will happen for you if you just keep doing that, although I know it sounds counter-intuitive. Forcing things will just get you frustrated.

Hope your playing goes well today Chaps!
steve in Helsinki
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve0930 wrote:
PS
Here is the answer that maybe helps me as a BE novice most.. Bob Cross from 15 years ago:

Quote:
And don't at this point adopt a RI setting for your normal playing. You probably have not been doing BE long enough to think about changing to a RI setting for normal playing - most never do. I haven't. It's ok to tinker with it for fun, but keep it at that. Don't be consciously changing your setting at this point to reach where you think you should be or hope to be as a result of reading the book.

So allow time for BE to creep into your regular playing on its own schedule. Remember that it is an indirect method - you only use RI while you are doing the exercises that call for it - and then forget it. It will happen for you if you just keep doing that, although I know it sounds counter-intuitive. Forcing things will just get you frustrated.

Hope your playing goes well today Chaps!
steve in Helsinki

This is so personal! Prior to the BE I never used the Roll In approach as demonstrated in the book. However, I remember doing something remotely resembling, playing the soprano. Kind of "pinching" my lips above soprano G top of staff.
Nowadays I find that the Roll In "attitude" kicks in above G on top of staff - then helps me a lot going a lot higher, in connection with diminishing the aperture (=consciously trying to bring both lips together).
So I have incorporated the RI:s in my regular playing, or, better expressed: the RI:s moved in by themselves!
Making my local "intermittent" teacher somewhat frustrated. His method is based on a "normal" embouchure - and he is very good at that, being a recognized pro.
Sometimes I wonder if my age has something to do with this? Meaning I´m shortcutting ageing muscles by doing the RI:s?
On the other hand, I have never ever had such an accurate control of my embouchure as I have now, in spite of my fairly good high register (amateur level), better than most of my contemporary mates. Leadchairs since 1968 and on.
Whatever - BE is a blessing. Covid 19 is not
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Seymor
Thanks for reply. I read it at 0545 then took my wife Ljuba a cup of tea and said "it's great for me to find thru BE like minded trumpet people to explore ideas with.."

Pre BE I decided my embouchure set up should be open..(intuitively I thought this was the right path to go down!) as open as possible.. to use a clock analogy my embouchure was like a clock face.. open, round and I was focusing on stuff like air / warm air / tongue arch / corners / the body concert hall / shape. After starting BE within days, and without any conscious decision on my part, my focus has shifted to the bullseye centre of the clock face where the hands (read lips) turn. And as you said Seymor - BE is so personal - probably no other BE player has the same watch you have...(apologies for stretching the analogy here!)

I like your idea of RI attitude - subtle can often be enough!

My learning from yesterday - synchronized tongue pressure from behind bottom lip to get more snap on both ROs and lip slurs and Michael's point:
Quote:
feeling of the inward corner movement that grips the forward tongue from the side when you are doing RO nice and raspy

Cheers Steve in Helsinki
PS I prefer your "Soprano g" to G on the staff. Until age 18 I was always at Boys only schools so the only way for me to meet girls was join the mixed choirs. We sang great works like Elijah, The Messiah. The Kingdom, Verdi's Requiem as well as meeting a few sopranos.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve0930 wrote:
Hi Seymor
Thanks for reply. I read it at 0545 then took my wife Ljuba a cup of tea and said "it's great for me to find thru BE like minded trumpet people to explore ideas with.."

Pre BE I decided my embouchure set up should be open..(intuitively I thought this was the right path to go down!) as open as possible.. to use a clock analogy my embouchure was like a clock face.. open, round and I was focusing on stuff like air / warm air / tongue arch / corners / the body concert hall / shape. After starting BE within days, and without any conscious decision on my part, my focus has shifted to the bullseye centre of the clock face where the hands (read lips) turn. And as you said Seymor - BE is so personal - probably no other BE player has the same watch you have...(apologies for stretching the analogy here!)

I like your idea of RI attitude - subtle can often be enough!

My learning from yesterday - synchronized tongue pressure from behind bottom lip to get more snap on both ROs and lip slurs and Michael's point:
Quote:
feeling of the inward corner movement that grips the forward tongue from the side when you are doing RO nice and raspy

Cheers Steve in Helsinki
PS I prefer your "Soprano g" to G on the staff. Until age 18 I was always at Boys only schools so the only way for me to meet girls was join the mixed choirs. We sang great works like Elijah, The Messiah. The Kingdom, Verdi's Requiem as well as meeting a few sopranos.

Steve!
I´m really sorry having to set things straight: "ain´t no ladies having anything to do with the soprano G"..... I was referring to a soprano cornet, brass band style! Soprano G, as a soprano cornet is Eflat, corresponds to E above high C.
Something completely different - speaking with John Cleese...!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor

Quote:
“Nostradamus and Notre Dame. It’s two different things completely.”
Tony, The Sopranos.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: