• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Serious or sarcastic?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Serious or sarcastic? Reply with quote

You know how it goes. You take 5,10, 25, 40 years off from the horn and then you get the itch. So you buy one and off you go.

I just bought my third. It was a screaming great deal on a direct-from-manufacturer demo, sold by the company president himself. I could not turn it down.

I told my wife, "I think this will be the last one," but she said "Oh, no, don't say that. I think we should build an annex for the bikes and the horns."

I think that means I'm good for at least one more. Anybody with experience on wife remarks care to chime in?
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just asked my wife Her answer was: sarcastic. But then again, she once said to me, our house would be good for 10 horns (five to go!), so, you know ...
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She has been very supportive of my comeback hobby, but has not grasped the researching, buying and selling of horns as part of the pursuit.

"Why can't you be satisfied with the horn you have?"

I have slowed down a bit in that... I think my current main horn has been in my possession for three or four years now. I did pick up a vintage cornet over the course of the summer, spent some $ getting it cleaned up and she seemed ok with that.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WxJeff wrote:
She has been very supportive of my comeback hobby, but has not grasped the researching, buying and selling of horns as part of the pursuit.

Mine knows I am a good horn hunter. I got one top grade horn brand new, one equal quality demo, and one vintage horn for about what I would have paid for one Strad at list price. I play them all and enjoy every second. Much cheaper than a boat, a Corvette, or a vacation home.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Jerry on Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not a comeback player so my collection has been ongoing. Five Bb horns, two flugelhorns, a C trumpet, cornet, piccolo and a marching Euphonium. These are the ones I kept...

50+ mouthpieces and a 2014 GT 500 In the garage for fun. There could be room for another car... but the horns are easier to hide!

The sarcasm is usually from my mouthpiece purchases. “I just ordered a mouthpiece!” Her reply: “Oh, is this the one?”

Pete
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife knows I want more horns and she has stayed silent on the matter, but I think she was a little mystified when I bought another Bb trumpet, a cornet, and a piccolo last year. At least I didn't use family funds to buy them--I sold my classic Hot Wheels and G.I. Joe collections to pay for them and for mouthpieces, horn stands, and gig bags.

I think she hopes I'm done, and since I've run out of childhood toys to sell, for the time being, I am. But I still want an Eb/D trumpet, a C trumpet, and a Superbone. Ah, heck, to be honest, my wish list is about $30,000 long.

Guess I need to write that best-seller.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
WxJeff wrote:

Mine knows I am a good horn hunter. I got one top grade horn brand new, one equal quality demo, and one vintage horn for about what I would have paid for one Strad at list price. I play them all and enjoy every second. Much cheaper than a boat, a Corvette, or a vacation home.

Yeah I have used the "much cheaper than..." explanation, but she already knows I'm not interested in sports cars or golf (thankfully.)

To spitvalve's point about funding, I have always used overtime pay and an occasional "Hey how about a little extra $ for my birthday so I can buy a new horn?"
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course, we all know the formula for how many horns we should each own:

Take the total number that you presently have...

...and add one.

cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thread. Lightens up the day.
My wife used give negative vibes if I mentioned buying another horn. Then she got a really nice clarinet. Things were fine for awhile after that. Then the negative vibes started again. Recently, though, I think I have gotten pretty much carte blanche, since she knows I am pretty frugal about how I purchase and and can recoup most of what I have in horns. No real impact on our finances. Her new line is: "OK just so you sell them before you die."
Financing: sell hay and make something on nonessential investments, buy lessons and horns. Keeps it outside the cycle of family finances.
I do not care about cars, boats or airplanes, hate stores (except music, book and hardware stores) and shopping, so it is my only real buying vice!
Got quite a few horns I would like to have, but tops on the list is a custom natural trumpet.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She tells me I should become as good at selling as I am at buying.
I remind her I'm down from about 60 to about 20 horns, and she rolls those gorgeous eyes.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far my wife's been very supportive in everything I've bought so far. That includes my recent purchase of mouthpieces. What helps though, is that so far, I've been able to convince her they were a real improvement by playing.

But to be totally honest, I don't really want a big collection myself either.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Serious or sarcastic Reply with quote

Hello all,
I am either lucky or unlucky. My wife does not say much. In better times, I could make enough playing during a year to buy a horn. Then I would sell one. I think that kept her understanding.I was able to do that for many years. Even sold my G.I. Joe collection to buy a horn years ago. Could have bought two horns, had I pieced everything out, but sold the lot to a dealer. Not enough Hot Wheels, but still have a ton of model car kits...Hmmm...Then I worked in a music store for almost 6 years. Bought 4 horns in that time span. Somewhere in those years, I forgot to sell what I replaced. First world problems. I have a nice collection of Schilkes though!
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amusing thread...

When I was the principal cornet of my band my wife was the MD and band trainer........ In our house there are 4 tumpets, 6 cornets, a flugel, 2 tenor horns, a bugle and a couple or three post horns....

....I actually bought a couple of them!
jimspeedjae
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She buys shoes, lipstick and things in jars and bottles that smell nice.

I buy trumpets.

I don't know how many shoes she has (I found a shoebox in the draw of the TV unit the other day, under the box of Christmas cards).

She can see the trumpets on the wall of my office (only 2 Bbs, flugel, 2 piccs, Eb trumpet, Eb cornet and Bb cornet).

She has no idea what's in the garage
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Stevenson wrote:
Amusing thread...

When I was the principal cornet of my band my wife was the MD and band trainer........ In our house there are 4 tumpets, 6 cornets, a flugel, 2 tenor horns, a bugle and a couple or three post horns....

....I actually bought a couple of them!

If you only bought two of them, then I need to sign up for your class on trumpet trading!
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Serious or sarcastic? Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
You know how it goes. You take 5,10, 25, 40 years off from the horn and then you get the itch. So you buy one and off you go.

I just bought my third. It was a screaming great deal on a direct-from-manufacturer demo, sold by the company president himself. I could not turn it down.

I told my wife, "I think this will be the last one," but she said "Oh, no, don't say that. I think we should build an annex for the bikes and the horns."

I think that means I'm good for at least one more. Anybody with experience on wife remarks care to chime in?

Bikes and Horns....I wonder if we're related.
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're all related on this board.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my wives and significant others it never ever came up. But then, I've never been a collector, just an owner of what I considered tools to get the job done. And they looked at it like that, too.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
With my wives and significant others it never ever came up. But then, I've never been a collector, just an owner of what I considered tools to get the job done. And they looked at it like that, too.

You're a pro, Kehaulani! Not only are your horns tools, they are tax write-offs!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: