• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What does a leak indicate?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trpt2honk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: What does a leak indicate? Reply with quote

My first guess is that a leak indicates weakness. But then I think it’s an issue of muscles being balanced. If the leak is on one side and then moves to another? Are there exercises or “approaches” to strenghten one side of the face or even one “quadrant” of the face?

If this question is addressed in another area of the Herald, please direct me there.

Many thanks,
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An important consideration is knowing when the leak occurs.
What range and loudness of notes.
All the time, or when becoming fatigued.
What 'lip control' method is used - compression, stretching, pucker, rolling, mouthpiece pressure, etc.
Have there been recent dental changes.
Any recent mouthpiece changes.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to fix an air-leak can mess you up. If you sound good and it's not causing big problems I would say leave it alone at least for a few weeks! It could likely go away with some time.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, the presence of a hole.
trpt2honk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thank you for responding.

Not really thrilled about “putting it all out there” but I guess that’s what we trumpet players do. LOL

59 year old male who gave up playing about 21 years ago because of what I then believed was a “focal dystopia.” Was undergoing an embouchure change at that time, and now believe I never really accomplished the change.

One day, during a warmup, I made the observation that there was a small leak on the left side. Thought nothing of it and kept going. But the leak never went away. Over the next two years I regressed from a decent semi-pro player to struggling to play a tuning note.

No physical reasons for the problem were observed by teachers or doctors. “Normal parameters.”

Out of extreme frustration and after taking a year’s sabbatical from the orchestra, I gave up. Twenty years later, I really regret giving up.

So almost a year and a half ago, I started again. I’ve made progress. (If progress means I now have a “moveable leak.” LOL)

Perhaps now, there’s at least some reference point.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt2honk wrote:
First of all, thank you for responding.

Not really thrilled about “putting it all out there” but I guess that’s what we trumpet players do. LOL

59 year old male who gave up playing about 21 years ago because of what I then believed was a “focal dystopia.” Was undergoing an embouchure change at that time, and now believe I never really accomplished the change.

One day, during a warmup, I made the observation that there was a small leak on the left side. Thought nothing of it and kept going. But the leak never went away. Over the next two years I regressed from a decent semi-pro player to struggling to play a tuning note.

No physical reasons for the problem were observed by teachers or doctors. “Normal parameters.”

Out of extreme frustration and after taking a year’s sabbatical from the orchestra, I gave up. Twenty years later, I really regret giving up.

So almost a year and a half ago, I started again. I’ve made progress. (If progress means I now have a “moveable leak.” LOL)

Perhaps now, there’s at least some reference point.
Embouchures and teeth are changing all the time, even if you never really "change" your embouchure. If there was nothing physically wrong it was probably just some bad habits creeping into your playing. That's also normal. Think about what you do in your practice that ensures you are playing the right way? How do you think about embouchure? What does your embouchure look and feel like when you are playing your best? These are rhetorical questions, I think its more about asking the questions of yourself and exploring that in your practice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: