• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Short cut to improve TOL ps around the world in 80 days

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject: Short cut to improve TOL ps around the world in 80 days Reply with quote

Hello again BE Explorers
I was struggling to get a nice and vibrant (Jeff has used the word "percussive" ) sound as I moved up the staff on the TOL exercise.. my g top of staff especially sounding thin. So I tried this and for me it worked:

Go to a normal RO pedal setting. Focus on massaging the front of the tongue..(for me it was a bit of a "spit buzz" mode) then as you go into RO shift mode go straight to TOL for the G top of staff. Now I have got into the routine its just as easy to tongue the C above. Strong. Percussive. "within easy reach" feel. The same day I noticed the benefit had crept into my music playing.
I decided yesterday I wasn't going to post this - I'm concerned I am too precocious/naive a BE novice right now here - but my TOL on the c this morning was so effortless I felt honour bound!

cheers for now

Steve in Helsinki

1361 days playing the trumpet.
80 days on BE (& enjoying playing the trumpet)
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be realising that both TOL and RO have their roots in the teaching of Jerome Callet.
When teaching his methods a few of us have concluded that people tend to struggle with the forward tongue if the jaw/lips aren't moving in the right direction. How do we achieve that? Through the practice of double pedal tones... It's all connected!

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
steve0930
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.. and thanks for replying..
I've even got my wife to watch videos of Jerome Callet - he came across as my type of guy - lived to experiment. On this forum there has been a fair bit of discussion over Callet's Tongue Controlled Embouchure (TCE) versus BE's Tongue on Top Lip (TOTL) - (by people much more learned than me!) personally I have my tongue resting on lower lip (thanks to three months of BE) but not yet full TCE wedge. I guess why I am so happy to nail my colours to the BE mast is that it doesn't tell me what I (always) have to do..but rather helps me get on with sculpturing the embouchure best for me - lets see where my tongue ends up...

cheers and stay safe, Steve

If you think of the 4 professional divisions of English football than I would put myself fair and square in the "non league" tier. Yesterday I forced myself (cos as a non league player I never feel confident in public...) to perform after a 3 month hiatus.. a metro tunnel in Helsinki - For the first time in my trumpet life (3yrs9months) I felt proud - I felt I was making a glorious sound (Frank Sinatra's "My Way") Thank you Jeff for BE - yesterday you made me feel like a contender!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: