• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lead mpce for .470 bore?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DPhresh1985

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:06 am    Post subject: Lead mpce for .470 bore? Reply with quote

Any suggestions on what mouthpiece would work best with a large bore horn for lead work?
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Lead mpce for .470 bore? Reply with quote

DPhresh1985 wrote:
Any suggestions on what mouthpiece would work best with a large bore horn for lead work?

It depends on the horn and player, of course. I have a Flip Oakes "L" series mouthpiece that pairs a cup that is a little shallower than a Bach D cup with an open back bore, which supports the high register well and gives a rich, full tone throughout the horn's range.

I also would not hesitate to use Flip's "O" series mouthpiece, which uses the same open back bore (hence, the "O") with a cup that is a little shallower than a Bach C. This one is a little more versatile, a little less "in your face" compared to the L.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Lead mpce for .470 bore? Reply with quote

DPhresh1985 wrote:

Euhm...no, sorry. Mouthpieces are so personal and your question is very general. Try various pieces side by side, preferably with someone in the room to evaluate your sound when you play them. That should be far more insightful than me rattling off a list of brand names.

That being said...

...I've recently had very good experiences with AR Resonance mouthpieces. If you can try one of their lead bronze cups, I'd definitely recommend you to do so.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have to play LB horns and specially that big I prefer tight bbore and for sure #28 bore or smaller , my favorites are Reeves 43 Zinger and 43ES/692sL.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all depends on what fits you, and the way you play, and the sound you want to get.
I played on the martin Magna/Mic Gillette model for 25 years (.470 bore, 6" bell), mostly on a custom Jet-Tone, or on a Schilke 15A4, but I could put in a Schilke 24 and play flugel parts, or put in a 6A4a and play McArthur Park. But I had a bunch of guys (some very good players) try the horn and say they couldn't play it well with any mouthpiece.
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a very general question as the other members have pointed out. all I can say is smaller, shallower, tighter mouthpieces tend to work best for most lead players on large bore horns. good luck! jw
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no specific mouthpiece that works well with any specific bore. WAY too many variables, the main one being the player.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Dr. Bill Churchville told me several years ago ... "Everyone needs resistance ... it is a matter of where the individual player feels most comfortable feeling that resistance. "

This is a very individual specific thing. I suggest you find the mouthpiece FIRST and then find the horn. It all depends on where and how much resistance you like to play through.

I play a Schilke X3 (.464 bore) and have found small diameter v cup mouthpieces work best for me ( as an individual). The throat and back bore may even vary a tad. Find the mouthpiece cup diameter and shape, throat size and back bore shape you like would be my suggestion.

There are indeed hundreds of variables. That's why I have always been open to experimenting with various mouthpieces and horns.
JWG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Brian Douglas's advice regarding Flip Oakes "O" and "L" Mouthpieces based on using them on my .470 bore horns.

When I have needed to play 1st Chair parts in Wind Ensemble and Orchestra, a Flip Oakes "O" has remained my go-to mouthpiece, especially for all the John Williams pieces and any "brass-choir" pieces (e.g., Great Gate of Kiev at the end of Pictures at an Exhibition) when you need to "soar" above an ensemble at great volume but without harshness or edge.

My daughter has both the Flip Oakes "O" and an "L" in her case and uses the "L" especially for Jazz Band to better project and cut through when her parts require her to do so.

For what it is worth, I have never needed to borrow the "L" for the classical playing that I do, even when playing "Pops" concerts.

So, consider what your lead parts require you to do. If you can get away with edgy and bright, you can go with a shallower mouthpiece.

Both my .470-bore horns as well as my .462-bore horn seem to prefer mouthpieces with larger backbores and throats to maintain their freer-blowing nature when playing high parts. If you want that result, Flip Oakes has some uniquely good mouthpieces designed for large bore horns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: