• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adams A4lt VS A5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DPhresh1985

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Adams A4lt VS A5 Reply with quote

Thoughts?
HillBilly Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

both amazing horns - A5 definitely the lightest horn I've ever owned, and needs an efficient approach to unlock it's benefits. A4LT has a more open blow, but still easy to play. I wish I had both of them
Manchester Brass Pocket Trumpet
GR 62Z**, ACB TAZF
DPhresh1985

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HillBilly Joe wrote:
both amazing horns - A5 definitely the lightest horn I've ever owned, and needs an efficient approach to unlock it's benefits. A4LT has a more open blow, but still easy to play. I wish I had both of them

What do you mean by " efficient approach"?
HillBilly Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't over blow it and expect it to respond well
Manchester Brass Pocket Trumpet
GR 62Z**, ACB TAZF
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely different horns. The A4 is a thick-sounding horn in the "Monette" tradition, and the A5 is a bright lead-style horn in the "Benge" tradition.

This isn't to say that they are copies of the above, just noting that they are taking design, sound, and playability cues from very different types of horns designed for very different applications.

Having played both, albeit several years ago now, I can say that they are both absolutely fantastic horns. A5 definitely has a brighter, more traditional sound that would be happy in any high-energy setting. The A4 is, I would think, clearly designed for the jazz soloist looking for a very modern sound.

Austin Custom Brass are the people that you should probably be talking to if you are looking to purchase one or decide between them!
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those two horns sit at the far-flung reaches of opposite ends of the trumpet design spectrum. The A4 is a "big" horn. It has a pretty large volume bell, an open feel, a lyrical flexibility and a big sound. The A5 is designed to give a studio player or section player a tool for screaming. It packs a proverbial punch, has immediate resistance and is pretty hard-slotting, if I remember correctly.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Completely different horns. The A4 is a thick-sounding horn in the "Monette" tradition, and the A5 is a bright lead-style horn in the "Benge" tradition.

This isn't to say that they are copies of the above, just noting that they are taking design, sound, and playability cues from very different types of horns designed for very different applications.

Having played both, albeit several years ago now, I can say that they are both absolutely fantastic horns. A5 definitely has a brighter, more traditional sound that would be happy in any high-energy setting. The A4 is, I would think, clearly designed for the jazz soloist looking for a very modern sound.

Austin Custom Brass are the people that you should probably be talking to if you are looking to purchase one or decide between them!

Thanks for the referral!

The LT and the 5 are closer to each other than the A4 but still pretty different. We are always happy to talk all things Adams as Trent has worked on most of the horn designs at the factory with Miel. I've also owned an a5 and a few A4's but now am on a custom A1 with two tuneable bells. If you are interested please call us at 816-410-0826 or email us (info@austincustombrass.com).

Thanks!

Kyle
ACB Shop Manager

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the A5 to be ridiculously in tune and efficient for commercial applications and it is my first choice in that arena. Though it is built in the “Benge” tradition, mine opens up a lot above high C. It is not nearly as tight as my 3X or 3X+ Benges or Calicchio 1s/7 up high. It could certainly be played in crossover situations, but it shines as a commercial horn.

The A4 is on the complete other side of the spectrum. If I were looking for a commercial horn, it would be the A5 and if I wanted a dark and lush solo horn for jazz soloing, I might consider the A4. If I wanted a classical trumpet, I would choose neither of these. Though it should be mentioned that the A5 could certainly be used as an all-around horn.
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: