• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

so many yamaha trumpet models?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bliv

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:13 am    Post subject: so many yamaha trumpet models? Reply with quote

Ive been playing my cheap cornet for around 3mths and have started looking for a 2nd hand yamaha trumpet but im unsure of the age of each instrument.

is there a chart/history that i can use to work out when each one was made and what grade it is?

I can get an immaculate T100s.. a pretty good YTR236, but i can also get a brand new 2330 for roughly double the 2nd hand price of the above models.

is there really much difference in a T100 vs the latest 2330?
im just some guy playing at home and annoying the dog at times, i dont expect to play in a band or go on tour
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This won't help you with the "when," but it's a catalog of every Yamaha model currently made:

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/brochure/1/1152241/W215R16_trumpets_eu.pdf

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's useful to know the number codes of the horns:

https://sites.google.com/site/yamahacollectoryamahaloyalist/articles/yamaha-trumpet-model-number-code

and this is a list of all the horns, dates, specs and so on:

https://adamgmalone4.wixsite.com/website-1/trumpet

More global:

the three numbered horns are quite old,
all the low numbers are student horns up to the 400(0), that will be the intermediate ones,
from 600/6000 up are the professional ones.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject: Yamaha student trumpet Reply with quote

If possible, play the newest trumpet before you buy. Don't buy an older model, just because of price. Newer models have a 1st slide ring and many older models don't. When you progress in your playing, the 1st slide thumb ring is important. The Yamaha Ytr 2330 trumpet is an excellent model for a student. Consider buying a used one. My recommendation is play both 2330 trumpet and 2330 cornet. If you are playing for your enjoyment, a cornet may suit you better.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've liked most of the 2000-series student horns that I've tried. It's a very reasonable place to start. If you can find a good deal on a 2nd-hand 6000-series those are full on pro horns with no compromise. While I don't recall every playing one I'm told the 4000-series intermediate horns don't add much value over the student models. Not bad, just not worth spending too much more on, particularly if you can score a pro model for a bit more.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: 4300 series trumpet Reply with quote

I agree with the previous poster about intermediate trumpets. Bought several intermediate trumpets including a used Yamaha intermediate trumpet didn't like them at all. My recommendation is to not buy an intermediate horn. Once you have progressed in your playing, buy a step up or professional trumpet. A Getzen 700 s Eterna is an excellent step up and is considered by many as a professional trumpet. What mouthpiece are you using?
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha student trumpet Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
If possible, play the newest trumpet before you buy. Don't buy an older model, just because of price. Newer models have a 1st slide ring and many older models don't. When you progress in your playing, the 1st slide thumb ring is important. The Yamaha Ytr 2330 trumpet is an excellent model for a student. Consider buying a used one. My recommendation is play both 2330 trumpet and 2330 cornet. If you are playing for your enjoyment, a cornet may suit you better.

Just a few things. Older Yamaha horns can be very good but you have to have some know how of older horns to check especially the mechanic condition. So the 3 number horns like the YTR 233 can be ok but you must be able to judge that.The 1st slide ring is not important at all, all the Chinese cheapies have one to make them look professional. Not to say that the 1st slide ring has never a function, it depends on the horn and on the level of the player. If the 1st slide ring will be important for you, you will have outgrown the student horn for a long time. I know first class professional players who have the 1st slide ring not installed on their custom horns because they don't need it (true, that were top horns)
I did not like the Yamaha student trumpets too much (they are ok and in tune but...) but the cornets are/can be great. The weird thing is is that the YCR 2310 long cornet is more cornet than the shepherds crook 2330 cornet. If you can find an older 2310 (not the newer 2310 II) cornet in good condition you will have for small money a great horn, really good.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to respectfully disagree about Yamaha intermediate horns. I played a YTR-4335S for many years. It was substantially better than a student horn and in addition had a wonderful tone. It was limited as a high range horn, but otherwise, when the music I was playing was never much above G above the staff it was fine. Though I prefer my pro horns, I never have found another trumpet with quite the same sound. You can find them used quite cheaply. I would concur, that if you can get a pro horn at a good price it is the way to go, but you need to try them out. The thing about the intermediate horn is that it will be a little more generic. Each pro horn seems to have its own characteristics, so you have to work with that. If you are at a stage where you can tell what you want in a horn, pro horns are really the way to go. Before you get to that stage, student and intermediate horns are very useful.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any used horn should be evaluated by someone capable to assessing it's quality. But the Yamaha 2000-series models I've played seemed really sturdy. I've read about but don't recall ever trying a 200-series.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Bliv

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies, those links give me a good ball park on the age of various models i was looking at.

Im currently playing a cheap Amoon cornet from aliexpress and it plays well for enough for me, just thinking that a yamaha may be a little better in quality.

I've got a Denis wick straight mute (alloy colour)

And last week i got a Denis Wick 4b mouth piece which sounds a bit clearer with a richer tone, although it does seem to be more free flowing.
I quite like that mouthpiece.

I've bought good brand accessories so that i have something that'll last and can be used on better quality instruments as i progress.

I can play from a low C to a C thats toward the top of the staff (mid C??) and can sometimes push a D and an E which is right at the top of my current range.
Bliv

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im hoping to eventually get good enough to play something like this

(hint: free sheet music in the video's notes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnt8M_80udo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ1ssWsg0OY
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 4300 series trumpet Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
My recommendation is to not buy an intermediate horn. . . buy a step up or professional trumpet.

I though step-up and intermediate were synonymous.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Step up Reply with quote

Kehaulani. Yes. They are the same. I have owed a Getzen 590 trumpet and Getzen 700 S Eterna model. Considered the 590 an intermediate model and the 700 s Eterna a step up model. Vast difference in sound quality to my ears.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: