• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Gospel trumpet solos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CalicchioMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Gospel trumpet solos Reply with quote

Looking for some Gospel trumpet solos to perform....Suggestions ??
Please include where to buy the music

Thanks!

Scott
Pickett Mouthpieces
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered several of these to play along with; I enjoy them very much. These used to be available at a site called, "Praise Hymn", but now you can get them at Amazon or other sites (they seem to have relinquished their own sales site). You can preview them on the page I've linked; many (in full) can be heard at Youtube as well. They have 20 or more of these albums; the rest are newer 'Praise and Worship' type, but this selection is mostly older Hymns. The one thing is, they don't have sheet music. If you play by ear, it won't matter; otherwise you may need to find a hymnal and transpose. Some really fun stuff here.

https://www.amazon.com/Instrumental-Gospel-Track-Hymns-Vol/dp/B006J8CPL4/ref=sr_1_15?crid=1UGUYL1URE0A4&dchild=1&keywords=fruition+music+instrumental+gospel+tracks&qid=1592775713&s=dmusic&sprefix=fruition+%2Cdigital-music%2C167&sr=1-15
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
wagonicfolding

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite solo that I've actually performed is the Halsey Steven's Sonata. It's a lot of fun! My favorite that I haven't gotten a chance to play is Vivaldi's trumpet concerto, even though that is technically a duet.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not call either of those particularly Gospel in style...

Fletch Wiley's books and some of the "Great Hymns" arrangements (for Phil Smith) may be closer.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to branch off from the finding of gospel songs, but to me gospel would be best described as a mix of blues and jazz. A recording artist that I think of when I consider 'gospel' would be (old time) Mahalia Jackson, and more recently (but still not real recent) Andrea Crouch.

When I think of conservative Christian Hymns, I would refer to that as 'sacred'; which would encompass the classical hymns in a more reserved, very legit style.

The Christian range of music is indeed broad, isn't it? We may all have missed the intent of the thread originator.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: "Gospel" resource https://www.asiacornerstone.com/ Reply with quote

“Gospel” music is one of the slippery terms that defies a firm definition because it encompasses so much over so many years, but …

I used to use backing trax (at first on cassette, then CD) of Sandi Patty songs. Her range is our range. The original, great arrangements with full orchestra and b’ground singers. Some had a leadsheet – most not. Used to be well known to a lot of congregants – probably not anymore.

You need a great sound system for this kind of performance.

Didn’t know about this until just now – https://www.asiacornerstone.com/index.html
These are not the original-on-the-record backings but have been recorded “in the style of,” but lots of tunes in lots of styles here.

-Denny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: