• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hammond 7 vs 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nonchalant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Hammond 7 vs 6 Reply with quote

Looking to replace my current piccolo mouthpiece (Yamaha 11A5 and sometimes Bach 7DW) I play a HD 4MLX on Bb/C so thought I would look at HD for a piccolo piece. I find the Yamaha 11/Bach 7 a touch small sometimes, and thought that maybe a 6MB could do the trick, but don't want anything too big either. HD 7MB is supposed to = Bach 7D, and HD 6MB = Bach 5C in terms of width, but D depth.

How comparable is the Hammond 7MB to Bach 7D? Very similar or possibly larger? My 4MLX is quite similar in width to typical 1-1/2 sized mps, so I would assume the 7 and 6 from Hammond are quite similar to standard 7 and 5 sizes. To me a Bach 7DW feels smaller than a Bach 7C to begin with, so maybe a Hammond 7MB would give just a touch more room?

I haven't really liked Bach E cups previously, so I wasn't looking at the S cup from Hammond. The MV cup could be interesting possibly, any experience out there with this cup?

Im looking to get a bit of guidance before ordering a slew of mps just to return most/all. Also I thought about emailing Karl Hammond through the website, but I will likely order the mp from Dillon because they are cheaper and I can do returns for sure.
gord-o
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played the Hammond 6mv for about a year but on Bb, not piccolo. All I can tell you that might be helpful is that the rim shape is not like the rounded Bach 5c. The Hammond 6 is flatter and wider, more like a slightly smaller 3c. The mv cup might be a good one for piccolo, but I would suspect the back bore would be too tight for some people. My opinion is based on my pretty limited experience on picc, so take that for what it's worth.
nonchalant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good point about the backbore, the MB cups have the #3 which sounds like it would be good with picc.

Interesting what you say about the Bach rims, I've always found the 5C to be similar to the 1-1/2C rim, but that the 3C was round and much more related to the 1-1/4C. (I am definitely a fan of my 4MLX rim, and that is why I'm looking towards Hammond for picc)

How do you find the MV cup in general?

Would you say that your 6MV in terms of width feels pretty close to a Bach 5C, or does the rim shape change it too much for that comparison?
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call or email Karl. I’m sure he’ll be willing and able to help guide you on this.
gord-o
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rim shape of the Hammond 6 is too different from a Bach 5c to make any comparisons. I got the 6mv because I wanted a piece that I could do the majority of what I play on just one piece. Pre-pandemic I found it good for church, occasional lead trumpet, a few recording sessions, and now I just practice on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: