• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Tablet for Gigging

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little off the main topic, but are there any good music reader apps for Windows? I already own an X1 tablet for my work. It could double as a reader if there were a decent app. When I searched, Musescore came up, but that is a little different.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A PDF reader is a PDF reader is a PDF reader.

Then you have PDF readers with support for playlists etc.

Up until this point, Android and Windows software keep up pretty well. If the device has sufficient screen resolution and brightness, all is well.

What sets Forscore apart is the ability to clean, touchup, and crop then blow up the images. I can get very aggressive with the margins and make the visible music larger than it would have been on paper before it got reduced 3%, 5%, 3%, 8%, 4% in sequence as somebody took a scan of a print of a scan of a photocopy of a print of a scan. And the glass was dirty and left speckles an lines on the output eh....5 out of 7 times. And it wasn't properly aligned so it it wider at the top, narrow in the middle, wide and off at an angle at the bottom. With Forscore I can clean that all up, pixel by pixel if necessary and even rewrite sections wholesale. None of the windows or Android packages can do that as well - at least not until last fall which was the last time I looked again (yes, I bought an Android tablet to try this crap out).

Finally, the Apple pencil works WAY better and more accurate than other styluses (stylii ?) which is really important when trying to paint "whiteout" over that last bit of schmutz that keeps your eye from telling the difference between a natural and a sharp symbol.

Now, it is all just symbols to Forscore. It doesn't actually understand the music, key signatures, etc. so you can put the notes in and say "transpose to G# Major for an Eb instrument" and have it come out, or have it know the chords across 8 parts and decide "you know, that C# really oughta be natural unless you are Thad Jones".
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
A little off the main topic, but are there any good music reader apps for Windows?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mobilesheets/9nblggh6ct6d?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I use Mobile Sheets Pro for Android, and it does almost everything ForScore does. I haven't done a side-by-side feature comparison, but MS Pro will let you create setlists; categorize by style, composer, artist, user-defined categories; automatically crop; add annotations; and much more.

I have hundreds of music pdfs on my inexpensive tablet - all of my trumpet charts, way too many trumpet books (curses on you qPress!). The 10.5" size works fine for me. You do have the ability with MS Pro to display half-pages.

Here's a relatively inexpensive tablet - make sure you don't get an older version of Android, you'll want at least 9 or 10, which is the latest. I also found inexpensive Windows tablets.

https://www.hsn.com/products/rca-pro-2-116-128gb-hd-tablet-with-keyboard-sleeve-and-/9558825?sz=6&sf=EC0580&ac=&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping%20engine&utm_term=&utm_campaign=GShopping%7CH%7CProven+Winners&utm_content=53850776537_pla-333627799626_9558826&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzZ69nuzy6gIViZWzCh2qVQIPEAQYBiABEgL3PPD_BwE
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GizB.

I have an Android tablet, but I have a nice screen on my X1 Tablet, better than the tablet, so I think I might give the windows version a try.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will run out of power on a gig one day and then no music zilch nada. Bad rep.

Get an external battery pack and keep it charged you can plug it in on gigs to save any risk of loss of your music during play. Or just keep it with you just in case.

If another player with a pad loses power and you can loan it out to them you can save the day and the set and your rep.

Power is the hidden issue with pads.
seilogramp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
Power is the hidden issue with pads.

Excellent point. So if you or other players have no power and no way to charge anything, do you have a paper backup or some other method of continuing the show with minimal interruption?

As a hospital IT director, we are constantly working on our contingency and disaster recovery plan. We don't want to be so dependent on technology that when things happen (and they will) we have no alternative.
1972 Getzen Eterna 900S
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep 2 - TWO !! - USB battery banks in my bag. I make sure they are recharged, as with the iPad itself.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had any problem with my tablet running out of power. I make sure it's fully charged when I leave the house, and carry the charger just in case. Haven't had to use it yet.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one Sunday AM gig where my charging cable didn't seat and the iPad was low on power for the run through and performance.

Many gigs have stand lights that are powered by the mains. While I carry a battery backup, I also carry a charger and extension cord which I can plug into the light's outlet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: