• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What about the Harrelson 5mm modular mouthpiece system...?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jake50

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: What about the Harrelson 5mm modular mouthpiece system...? Reply with quote

I have been playing trumpet for 50+ years.
For all of my practice time and rehearsals and lessons, nothing has made such an improved impact on my playing like the Harrelson 5mm modular mouthpiece system.
One thing I have learned is how much of an impact the throat shape and diameter has on the tone and ease of play.
I feel like a kid opening a pile of birthday presents with such a variety of throats and cups and rims and backbores and body styles to choose from.
I have Harrelson’s version of the Rudy Muck rim... and am having a personal modified Rudy Muck scanned and cut for me...

Two regrets I have: 1) That I didn’t have this system when I first started playing the trumpet 2) That I have gone through quite a number of horns that I am certain would have responded very well to the 5mm...
I would say, put the 5mm on your bucket list!

Has any one else had a good experience with the 5mm?

Last edited by jake50 on Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which package did you purchase?
and
How did you determine the components you purchased?
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
jake50

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
Which package did you purchase?
and
How did you determine the components you purchased?

I started off with the 9-piece package... and soon discovered this was a game-changer and asked to upgrade to the 20-piece package.
Jason called and asked about what mouthpiece I was currently playing and he sent me three to try... and one of the three was just right... And he is presently scanning and cutting a second piece that I had modified...
He sent several throats and cups... and I just started switching all around and learned what worked best...
I have what I think is Jason’s copy of the Rudy Muck (17) I believe, and I have been changing out throats and cups....
I was not aware of how critical the throat is... This system helped me discover that...

He did have a discount going, and it might still be accessible.... He made it available to those who were tuning in to his online “garage sales.” You might call and ask about that... Janice or Jen usually answer the phone...
The 5mm has really been a great experience....

deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: What about the Harrelson 5mm mouthpiece system...? Reply with quote

jake50 wrote:

No, but I can see the value. It seems a bit wasteful to get a kit for every individual player, but it could be a great tool for music shops, teachers and/or bands to help their players find the right gear. The mouthpiece can and does make a big difference. Just settling on a generic Bach because your teacher/conductor said so seems silly when stuff like this exists.

jake50 wrote:
I was not aware of how critical the throat is... This system helped me discover that...

Anthony of AR Resonance said a similar thing. His mouthpieces also feature customization and he states the backbore/throat is the most important thing when picking a mouthpiece. After trying, I can confirm that the difference is indeed substantial.
jake50

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What about the Harrelson 5mm mouthpiece system...? Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
jake50 wrote:

No, but I can see the value. It seems a bit wasteful to get a kit for every individual player, but it could be a great tool for music shops, teachers and/or bands to help their players find the right gear. The mouthpiece can and does make a big difference. Just settling on a generic Bach because your teacher/conductor said so seems silly when stuff like this exists.

jake50 wrote:

Anthony of AR Resonance said a similar thing. His mouthpieces also feature customization and he states the backbore/throat is the most important thing when picking a mouthpiece. After trying, I can confirm that the difference is indeed substantial.

Very good...
I was experimenting about 3 days ago, and noticed that the set-up I was using didn’t quite “sing” on one of the several horns I was playing. So, I changed out the backbore from Harrelson’s 20.33 to 20.31... both of which are very, very close in diameter and appearance... but the tone and sound were noticeably different.
I think I’m finding that these variations actually respond differently with different horns... and it gives me a “longing” to go back and play with the 5mm on some of the fine horns that have passed through my hands.... Maybe one day....

deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: What about the Harrelson 5mm mouthpiece system...? Reply with quote

jake50 wrote:
I think I’m finding that these variations actually respond differently with different horns...

That doesn't seem unreasonable to assume. I've tried my new mouthpieces on my Getzen as well and found them to be decent, but not 100% matching (kinda like how the other combinations I tried were good on my Olds, but some stood out). If I went back and tried other combinations I'm sure I'd find the sweetspot combo for the Getzen to be different.

I think you did yourself a huge favor by getting that kit. It may not work for everyone, but it sounds like it definetely works for you.
jake50

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: What about the Harrelson 5mm mouthpiece system...? Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
jake50 wrote:
I think I’m finding that these variations actually respond differently with different horns...

That doesn't seem unreasonable to assume. I've tried my new mouthpieces on my Getzen as well and found them to be decent, but not 100% matching (kinda like how the other combinations I tried were good on my Olds, but some stood out). If I went back and tried other combinations I'm sure I'd find the sweetspot combo for the Getzen to be different.

I think you did yourself a huge favor by getting that kit. It may not work for everyone, but it sounds like it definetely works for you.

The good thing about it for me is the exchange policy... you can get a kit and exchange the parts until you find what fits you... And Jason will call you if you need any consultation... AND the variety... he can scan your current rim, the parts are so incrementally different, I get the sense that I can fit this to any playing style, music or horn I use... I’m having a lot of fun with it...

wayben

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 20 piece kit a while back and am very happy with it. Initially I told Jason what my current mouthpiece was and what I was looking to change. He put the kit together around that and I've added a few other pieces since then. Currently have three MPs that I can modify slightly, depending on need or desire, to use with my Harrelson trumpet. As has been mentioned varying the throat and/or backbore can have a noticeable change in how a trumpet plays and sounds. I don't pretend to understand it, but I know what I hear and feel, and it has been fun to play around with. It is a big investment and not for everybody, but it's worked for me. YMMV
Conn 40B Trumpet
Yamaha YTR-6310z Trumpet
Bach LR18037 Trumpet
Bach 184 Cornet
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayben wrote:
I bought a 20 piece kit a while back and am very happy with it. Initially I told Jason what my current mouthpiece was and what I was looking to change. He put the kit together around that and I've added a few other pieces since then. Currently have three MPs that I can modify slightly, depending on need or desire, to use with my Harrelson trumpet. As has been mentioned varying the throat and/or backbore can have a noticeable change in how a trumpet plays and sounds. I don't pretend to understand it, but I know what I hear and feel, and it has been fun to play around with. It is a big investment and not for everybody, but it's worked for me. YMMV

Do you use any of these mouthpieces on your other trumpets?
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
wayben

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've used them with other trumpets also. They work well with them but with different components than what I use with the Harrelson. Rather than switching back and forth I've set these up to use with my Harrelson and use other MPs with the other trumpets.
Conn 40B Trumpet
Yamaha YTR-6310z Trumpet
Bach LR18037 Trumpet
Bach 184 Cornet
jake50

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayben wrote:
Yes, I've used them with other trumpets also. They work well with them but with different components than what I use with the Harrelson. Rather than switching back and forth I've set these up to use with my Harrelson and use other MPs with the other trumpets.

I just received a 5mm flugel backbore... it fits perfectly on my 5mm mouthpiece for trumpet... It is a very nice set up... I have the very same rim for trumpet and flugelhorn... Sounds great!
jake50

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s an update:

Just received Jason Harrelson’s Rudy Muck 17C version rim in DELRIN...
Fantastic! The feel is softer than the RM rim in silver plate... grips the lip!
All I can say is sell all... and then check out the Harrelson 5mm modular mouthpiece system... it will change your game... it will actually change the way your horn plays as well... versatile and flexible is the word...
They are actually offering discounts at this time...
Put it on your bucket list...
Matt Graves
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: What about the Harrelson 5mm modular mouthpiece system...? Reply with quote

jake50:

Can't agree more about Harrelson's 5MM system.

Think about it folks; do you know any trumpet players that DO NOT have a collection of mouthpieces that they just don't use. Add up the cost of all of them in TODAY'S prices. the Harrelson 5MM system is worth the price he charges!

Are you a lead trumpet mouthpiece fanatic? Plenty of options.

Are you a classical trumpet mouthpiece person? Plenty of options.

Do you like wide rims? Harrelson has them.

Throat size options? Harrelson has them.

Backbore options? Plenty.

Harrelson has wonderful mouthpiece body shapes that other makers don't!

I settled on a rim size between Bach 1.5 and 3C with a cup between a Bach C and B. Loving it!
Claude Gordon Certified Teacher
BAC Custom Dream Trumpet
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know if 5MM system is trumpet only, or if they also do it for fluegel?
Matt Graves
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawnino:

Yes. Harrelson makes Flugelhorn and Cornet 5MM system mouthpiece components.
Claude Gordon Certified Teacher
BAC Custom Dream Trumpet
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: