• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Finding center of tone

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frasse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Finding center of tone Reply with quote

Hi,

So i have a problem in my playing. I find that i far too often end up losing track of the center of the tone and as a result end up playing out of tune. It is quite annoying, because i can tune perfectly and then as soon as i play a bit i end up out of tune anyway because im not playing "in the same place" as when i tuned.

So i am wondering, how do you practice playing in the center of the tone? Does anyone have any method for finding the center quickly (for example during warm-up) before playing?

I have previously done some bending exercises. Bend half a note up, down and back to center. Bend down to next half-note, then switch to that note. I find both of these exercises, together with just playing slowly and ensure im in the center works to some degree. However, i would like to switch it up a bit and thus i come here looking for new ideas and perspectives on the matter. Hopefully i will find some new insights that can help me improve further
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concone melodic studies, concentrating on intense listening and adjusting to your sound as you play.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
krell1960
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Finding center of tone Reply with quote

Frasse wrote:
Hi,

So i have a problem in my playing. I find that i far too often end up losing track of the center of the tone and as a result end up playing out of tune. It is quite annoying, because i can tune perfectly and then as soon as i play a bit i end up out of tune anyway because im not playing "in the same place" as when i tuned.

So i am wondering, how do you practice playing in the center of the tone? Does anyone have any method for finding the center quickly (for example during warm-up) before playing?

I have previously done some bending exercises. Bend half a note up, down and back to center. Bend down to next half-note, then switch to that note. I find both of these exercises, together with just playing slowly and ensure im in the center works to some degree. However, i would like to switch it up a bit and thus i come here looking for new ideas and perspectives on the matter. Hopefully i will find some new insights that can help me improve further

This is a common problem when people practice alone for a long time. Not sure if this is your case. But when was the last time you played in a group setting. If your using an electronic tuner, Launch it out the window. Play along with Music minus one type stuff. or find recordings you can play along with, Play along with drones. Basically find music or exercises that require you to play along with by using your hearing. Better yet find a friend to call and respond with. It has happened to me, when not playing in group settings my tone became sharp, it sounded correct to me, but i wasn't using any reference tone or music to play along with. A couple of weeks playing along with Matt Anklan's sound files and Some Drone and hal leonard work and all was well again.

By the Way MAtt Anklan is a Bill Adam student and has a great website with sound files designed for this purpose. Again if you have an electronic tuner, chuck it, chasing that needle is a fruitless waste of your time. Use your Ears !!!

good luck,

tom
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Finding center of tone Reply with quote

Frasse wrote:
... i can tune perfectly and then as soon as i play a bit i end up out of tune anyway because im not playing "in the same place" as when i tuned. ...

--------------------------------------
How are you determining that you are 'out of tune' ?
If you are using an electronic tuner to judge individual notes, that can be deceptive because the 'tuner pitches' are calibrated for 'equal temperament' piano pitches - and that can be quite different than the best sounding pitch for many notes.

I use a tuner to establish the tuning slide position for my written C in the staff, and don't worry about the other notes.

It is necessary to listen carefully to the pitches that are being played, and to judge if they sound correct.

I play various major scales to verify that the intervals between the notes of the scales sounds correct. I also play intervals in the various scales to verify that they sound correct - for example, 3rds, 4ths, and 5ths.

If some intervals do not seem correct, usually it's possible to 'lip' them into place, use valve slide, or alternate fingering.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The James Stamp method, preferably with the assistance of a qualified Stamp student. That method focuses heavily on what you seek.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
coraltrpt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would second both the Concone and Stamp. Cichowicz flow studies would be nice as well - always listening for that good center. Using a drone for each is paramount.

For drones, the TE tuner app has been a godsend during this whole mess. It even has a feature to match drones to the pitch you are currently playing. You can really dig into centering your ears. Options for both “just” and “equal” tuning. My 2 cents.
Frasse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Finding center of tone Reply with quote

krell1960 wrote:
Frasse wrote:
Hi,

This is a common problem when people practice alone for a long time. Not sure if this is your case. But when was the last time you played in a group setting. If your using an electronic tuner, Launch it out the window. Play along with Music minus one type stuff. or find recordings you can play along with, Play along with drones. Basically find music or exercises that require you to play along with by using your hearing. Better yet find a friend to call and respond with. It has happened to me, when not playing in group settings my tone became sharp, it sounded correct to me, but i wasn't using any reference tone or music to play along with. A couple of weeks playing along with Matt Anklan's sound files and Some Drone and hal leonard work and all was well again.

By the Way MAtt Anklan is a Bill Adam student and has a great website with sound files designed for this purpose. Again if you have an electronic tuner, chuck it, chasing that needle is a fruitless waste of your time. Use your Ears !!!

good luck,

tom

Thank you, this sounds like good advice. The last couple of months i obviously havent play much with others. Normally i play in an amateur symphony orchestra regularly. I used to play and practice full time ten years ago and i had no problems then. Between life and work that is no longer possible, but i surely miss that confidence. And no, i dont use a tuner while practicing

I will definitely start working with drones and i will check out Matt Anklans site aswell. Thanks!

JayKosta wrote:

How are you determining that you are 'out of tune' ?
If you are using an electronic tuner to judge individual notes, that can be deceptive because the 'tuner pitches' are calibrated for 'equal temperament' piano pitches - and that can be quite different than the best sounding pitch for many notes.

By ear. Either live or when i hear recordings of me recording (by myself or with others). I strictly use an electric tuner to (like yourself) establish tuning slide position.

What i am looking for is a comfortable and confident center that i can rely on (as a starting point, i know all pitches are not exact). What i have found is that i have trouble finding that starting point and end up searching for the right pitch, doubting every single note i play resulting in everything sounding out of tune.
Frasse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
The James Stamp method, preferably with the assistance of a qualified Stamp student. That method focuses heavily on what you seek.

coraltrpt wrote:
I would second both the Concone and Stamp. Cichowicz flow studies would be nice as well - always listening for that good center. Using a drone for each is paramount.

For drones, the TE tuner app has been a godsend during this whole mess. It even has a feature to match drones to the pitch you are currently playing. You can really dig into centering your ears. Options for both “just” and “equal” tuning. My 2 cents.

Thank you, i will look those up!

While i am at it. How do you usually go about determining what pitch to use for the drone? Intuitively i would just pick the notated key, but perhaps there are something more to it? Or do you keep trying until you find what you are looking for?
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Record yourself a lot, also record yourself playing with a drone, piano, or with music. Practice with a piano or keyboard and frequently stop to play your music on the piano, back on the trumpet, and back on the piano.
Another trick I do to practice playing a particular passage better in tune is record myself playing, apply pitch correct software (auto-tune), and then play along with the auto-tuned track. I would never use auto-tune on a recording because it ruins the sound and its cheating. But I do use it to practice with to get a feel for what its like to play "perfectly" in tune.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coraltrpt wrote:
Cichowicz flow studies would be nice as well - always listening for that good center. Using a drone for each is paramount.

Hate to be bothersome, but what is typically referred to as the Cichowicz "flow studies" are actually the warm-up studies. The flow studies are something completely different. Just make sure if you buy a book it is the correct book.

SING. In my own practicing and with students singing is a great way to get the pitch and resonance you are looking for. If you can't hear it, you can't play it. Get the horn out of the way and sing it first THEN play it.

Drones and recordings are also fantastic references especially when used in combination with singing and the aforementioned methods.
coraltrpt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.balquhiddermusic.com/brass-studies/cichowicz-flow-studies-vol-1?rq=Cichowicz

No bother at all - Thanks for pointing that out. I was referring to the Flow Studies linked above. This is what I use in my routine in any case. Not to be confused with the Long Tone Studies, which are another great resource.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practiced with drones for a while and found it helpful. So I wrote myself some half note/whole note exercises in various ranges with Sibelius. I play them with Sibelius with headphones. It has greatly helped me stay in tune.

Also work on audiation. Don't think about the mechanics of what you are doing. Hear the notes in your head while you play them. Also singing the exercise along with Sibelius will help.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried practicing with earplugs? I got that idea from Mark Curry. He said it makes players gravitate toward the center. For me it works for tuning and some other areas of playing.
Trumpetgas

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice flow studies very slowly focusing on blowing straight through the pipe.
abontrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 is the closest to the main issue.

If you are losing track of your "center of the tone" it's not a pitch thing as much as it is a "tone" thing. You need to know when you are producing your best possible sound on the trumpet. You need to be able to imagine that and repeatedly produce it. That will largely take care of most of the intonation things and then it's all the good stuff that the rest of the people have said.

Bending a note is only good if you know the sound you want to bend back to. But ultimately, bends have a limit in "finding" a good tone.

Work on creating a great sound and record yourself to make sure you are producing it.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abontrumpet wrote:
... Work on creating a great sound and record yourself to make sure you are producing it.

------------------------------------------
Make the 'great sound' be in context with the other notes and chords of the music being played.
Don't lock yourself into playing each 'fingering' exactly the same.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
mdarnton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to repeat, because this is such a good and simple idea: practice with a drone. It's like being in the orchestra, or playing along with recordings, by providing you a constant reference pitch in the background, but in the simplest possible way.
Tivolian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there specific drone apps you folks recommend?
mdarnton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://tonalenergy.com/products/te-tuner/
GCinCT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Total Energy Tuner is an excellent tool. I also have had success using this one: https://searchman.com/ios/app/us/515734094/en/haathi-software/real-tanpura/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: