• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Callet Jazz - comfortable blow - not unlike a Committee...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phattlippz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Callet Jazz - comfortable blow - not unlike a Committee... Reply with quote

Hi - I own an older Callet Jazz (someone on this forum said late 80s/early 90s), and am finding it to live up to it's name. It really feels nice to play in small group jazz situations . I know nothing about the design of this horn, other than what's obvious from looking at it, but it feels somewhat similar to playing a Martin Committee.

Just curious if anyone else has that experience and/or knows from a design standpoint why it feels so comfortable to play in a jazz combo situation?

Thanks!
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of the early ones; it did NOT have the underslung third slide (I think that came later?). It was a marvelous trumpet.

If I recall correctly, it's a step bore horn (so was the Martin Committee, if memory serves correctly). The Jazz winds up with a .470 bore (large), again, if my memory is serviing correctly, but since it's a step-bore horn, the blow was easy - and the tone was sublime.

I'd guess I've had 250 different horns, mostly trumpets, and the Callet Jazz would probably be in my top 5; certainly top 10. Just a great horn. I'm not fond of Kanstul valves; that's one of the only things that didn't wow me about the trumpet.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Phattlippz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - there must be something about the step-bore design that I really like. The aspect of the horn that reminds me of a Committee is hard to put into words--it's like there is a "cushion" for your airstream that provides a little gentle resistance no matter how hard or easy you play.

For me, it becomes easier to control, especially at soft dynamics. It feels like the horn breathes with you.

Mine doesn't have the underslung ring either--thankfully!

JonathanM wrote:
I had one of the early ones; it did NOT have the underslung third slide (I think that came later?). It was a marvelous trumpet.

If I recall correctly, it's a step bore horn (so was the Martin Committee, if memory serves correctly). The Jazz winds up with a .470 bore (large), again, if my memory is serviing correctly, but since it's a step-bore horn, the blow was easy - and the tone was sublime.

I'd guess I've had 250 different horns, mostly trumpets, and the Callet Jazz would probably be in my top 5; certainly top 10. Just a great horn. I'm not fond of Kanstul valves; that's one of the only things that didn't wow me about the trumpet.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
a step bore horn

Forgive me for asking but, what's a 'step bore' horn?
Phattlippz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done some research over the last few days: in general, a step bore design, the bore increases in "steps"--from the mouthpiece receiver to the beginning of the bell. I also think there are many variations on this, from one model/manufacturer to another. From what I've read, a step-bore design is supposed to offer the player more resistance to play with.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phattlippz wrote:
I've done some research over the last few days: in general, a step bore design, the bore increases in "steps"--from the mouthpiece receiver to the beginning of the bell. I also think there are many variations on this, from one model/manufacturer to another. From what I've read, a step-bore design is supposed to offer the player more resistance to play with.

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to over-simplify a complex production method, but yes; that's about it.

I think the goal, when it works right, is to give the big tone of a large bore horn without making the horn too hard to play (hence the smaller bore near the mouthpiece). And, I must say, with the Jazz - they certainly accomplished this. Great horn (at least the one I had) with a very pretty tone and soooo easy to play!

A nice Jazz is a horn I'd love to run across again.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Lee Adams
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Callet Jazz is still available! Reply with quote

I got my first Callet Jazz around 1993 and seldom run across a horn that I like better except for the new Jazz LT (lightweight bell)

The Expandabore design of the Jazz comes from a unique full length reverse lead pipe which has a constant taper from the venturi all the way to the end of the lead pipe. No transition or coupler joints are used as seen on most lead reverse designs. Special tooling is used to continue the expansion from .460-.470 throughout the main tuning slide bow radius ending at .470 going into the valve section. This gives the "Jazz" a unique and long extension of a conical type bore that develops from the beginning of the lead pipe to the end of the main tuning slide. This creates a very versatile and fast responding horn with more useful resistance than you would expect from a .470 bore.

This link gives some info on the Jazz and its history up until Kanstul closing in 2019. http://www.callet.com/product-p/calljazz.htm

Since the Kanstul closing we have continued to produce the Callet Jazz with Original bell and lead pipe specs still made in the USA except the valve blocks. We could not find .470 bore valve blocks made in the USA so we are now using Carol Brass which are super high quality and a positive improvement! For our .460 and .464 bore horns we have tested Getzen and Carol Brass valve blocks and both work well and we plan to use both.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQRrMWOw5rYV8p2_y5aO9Rg?view_as=subscriber

Last edited by Lee Adams on Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Wilt is using a Callet when he plays Bb. It looks like a Jazz or maybe a Symphonique. If you haven't heard his "From the safety of my practice room" series you should check it out. He is a fine player playing some devilishly difficult stuff.
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, jim wilt plays a callet jazz .470 bflat
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was informed (quite a few years ago) that "step bore" meant the bore could step up *or down* throughout the length of the instrument. It seems that "step bore" has come to mean "constantly increasing steps in bore" in recent decades, and horns that include reductions in bore at points are now referred to as "poly bore." I mention this simply because a description of "step bore" from an old-timer might also refer to the "poly bore" concept.

Conn missed a marketing opportunity back in the 1920s: My 1921 10A "Vocal" Bb/C cornet measures .438 at the top tuning-slide leg, .458 at the bottom tuning-slide leg, .467 through the valves, and .484 through the Bb/C rotor valve in the bell tail. It's also one of my favorite horns to play.
George Chase

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play a Callet Jazz. Responsive, and really nice sound, but the valves drove me absolutely nuts.
Lee Adams
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Chase wrote:
I used to play a Callet Jazz. Responsive, and really nice sound, but the valves drove me absolutely nuts.

I feel your pain! I have owned many Kanstul built Callet's mostly the "Jazz" models and some with good valves and some that were difficult. I was experiencing this long before i got involved with the horn business.
When I did get involved with the line back in 2003 when Mr Callet retired the first time. Around 50% of the new horns coming from Kanstul had great valves and around 50% were not. I spent many untold hours honing and polishing the sharp edges down on all of the the piston ports. Along with developing a micro-lap system with a sub micron compound to loosen the extreme tight fit at the upper and lower parts of the piston to casing contact areas as well as unsoldering the spring barrels and repositioning the rotational alignment when needed.

As a positive the Callet "Jazz" continues to be produced even after the closing of Kanstul in 2019.
They continue to be made to original specs at the Callet custom shop in Atlanta with a Carol Brass .470 valve block which is super high quality and we consider it as an improvement. No US makers of valves could be found who make a .470 bore, On our .460 and .464 bore horns we have tested Getzen and Carol Brass and both work well and we plan to use both going forward.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQRrMWOw5rYV8p2_y5aO9Rg?view_as=subscriber
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: