• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha 6335s

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a very early 6335 a while back for about USD600.

Great, great horn. I have used it while playing 1st trumpet for both classical opera performances, Cavalleria Rusticana/Pajazzo, as well as for musicals and jazz.

Go for that 6335!
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
Zed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on the later models but when I got my 6345 (large bore) in 87 (second hand but not very old) I was told it was professional level horn comparable with a strad. I think the models starting with 8 came some time later. I'm not sure if Morrison was involved with Yamaha back then although he certainly was a short time later (he might have been I just don't recall - he would have been pretty young).
Mine doesn't have the A/H/J that others have been referring to. As to weight it has always seemed to be quite a lightweight horn to me. Not sure if the 6335 is different in terms of weight.
Fox56

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with a YTR-6335 for professional playing. It is a professional model that has maintained a position in the Yamaha product line for many, many years.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought my 6335s back into the lineup this past week, so I have been playing it again everyday after a couple of years of back of the closet storage. It is still a thrill to play! Just like when I first got it in the early 80s. I am using it for a Solo Prelude at my church next Sunday (livestreamed) and looking forward to keeping it in rotation. It was a wonderful horn to play when first I got it and it still is a responsive, versatile, swiss army knife horn.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 and 7 series Yamaha horns are often mistaken for less than pro level, but don't be fooled by the 8 and 9 series model numbers, 6 series Yamahas are pro horns and there are a lot of pros out there still making a living with them. Once upon a time 8 & 9 series was supposed to be for "special" models linked to artists, or gimmicks, etc. Then the Xeno brand was launched to try and separate Yamaha artist sales from others. This is branding though, not a reflection of design. Yamaha number codes are: 1-entry level, 2 & 3 student, 4 & 5 intermediate, 6 & 7 professional, 8 & 9 specialty. (and way back when, the difference between 6 & 7 was 7 was a silver-plated 6 series)

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Fox56

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also found a good xeno 8335s(medium large bore as usual) 2 which is a heavier horn compared to the 6335 or 6335RC which are,instead,more free blowing(as i said before i cannot try them out for different reasons unfortunately) what would you suggest and why?I'll be finding a teacher in october ,so i cannot ask anyone else but you guys.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox56 wrote:
I also found a good xeno 8335s(medium large bore as usual) 2 which is a heavier horn compared to the 6335 or 6335RC which are,instead,more free blowing(as i said before i cannot try them out for different reasons unfortunately) what would you suggest and why?I'll be finding a teacher in october ,so i cannot ask anyone else but you guys.

My 8335 is an 8335RG in silverplate (for some reason Yamaha did not append an S to the model in that particular case, though a lot of people do just for ease of understanding). It is heavy, and I find it a bit tiring to play - the reversed construction makes for a little more open blow, but the mass definitely takes energy to drive.

So for me, not my first choice although it is an amazingly good horn. There are other players for whom the weight of the 8335s is perfect, and a lighter horn is hard to control. So which are you? We have no way of knowing that and perhaps a decision with this sort of price tag would best wait until you have the in-person assistance of a teacher who can observe your playing and help you determine what works best for you.

(Full disclosure: I should note that the AW I play is heavier still, but a far more efficient design which mitigates the effect of the mass)

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Fox56

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply,my student yamaha should be medium weight and it feels good so I think a medium weight horn might be more suitable for me,i'll try to see If i can manage to try them because I don't think I have ever tried a pretty heavy horn before so i don't know what it feels like
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fox56

Although the Xeno II is described as heavy-weight, weight-wise it is no different from a Bach Strad. The Xeno II is definitely not less free-blowing than the 6335.

I have the standard construction 8335II and it is a extremely good and very versatile middle of the road trumpet in terms of playing characteristcs.

In the UK where I'm from, the two most popular first pro horn options are the Bach Strad and Yamaha Xeno, because they are good middle of the road horns.

Obviously you have to make the right choice for you, but I wouldn't discount the Xeno because it is listed as being heavy-weight.

I also have a Xeno cornet which is listed as being heavy-weight, but in reality weighs no more than my Bach 184ML or Boosey and Hawkes Imperial cornets.

Maybe I'm a bit biased as it is what I play, but then again I have really good reasons for playing the Xeno II. It is a really good middle of the road trumpet. Lovely even response throughout the registers, responds really well at quiet dynamics, very good intonation and a great sound.

I really would recommend trying the different trumpets that you are considering.

I hope that this will help

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox56 wrote:
Thanks for the reply,my student yamaha should be medium weight and it feels good so I think a medium weight horn might be more suitable for me,i'll try to see If i can manage to try them because I don't think I have ever tried a pretty heavy horn before so i don't know what it feels like

Don't get too hung up on weight - we are talking relatively minor differences. The bore geometry, the placement of that mass within the system, the placement of transitions between turbulent and laminar flow, the couplings, etc. all have significance to the energy requirements, in what frequency ranges, at what dynamic, etc. There is a great deal that goes into instrument design and you really need to try a bunch of horns with different features to discover what features work for you. Only then can you really say what characteristics you are looking for in a horn. Teachers can be a big help, as they have the experience of both their own playing, and their students' adventures on horn safari.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Fox56

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll definetely go try them when it's possible,unfortunately the covid situation makes it much more problematic.
Thanks again for your considerations
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: