• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

besson tuba

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barrie48

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: besson tuba Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I'm new on here and was wondering if anyone has any information on the value of a tuba I have. Its a besson class A prototype 50 medals of honour made in London. It also has 37 VR 97 on the bell,which I believe to be Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee. Its silver plated, but I would say about 10% is missing. It has a few dents. All the valves are moving freely.
Many thanks in advance
Sean
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes for kind of a big trumpet. you'll find better answers here: http://www.dwerden.com/forum/forum.php#.XyxGRshKiMo

In short: It sounds like yours is an actual Besson design, not one of teh much later Bessons that were actually Boosey designs. It is a classic vintage British brass band bass. I think that Boosey probably dominated even then, but Besson in the earlier years was well respected before most of their designs vanished with the Boosey & Hawkes acquisition.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="OldSchoolEuph"]That makes for kind of a big trumpet. you'll find better answers here: http://www.dwerden.com/forum/forum.php#.XyxGRshKiMo

Also take a look at tubenet.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boosey and Hawkes acquired Besson in 1948 although the acquision was drawn out.

Victorias Jubilee was in 1897

The prototype and 50 medals of honor was reserved for their best instruments so we can bet this was a Besson instrument and of their highest quality.

Tubas can cost anywhere between 1000$ and 20,000$ depending on their quality.

As for old tubas that depends on whether they are high pitch or low pitch compensating on non compensating.

The compensating design was invented in 1874 so it is possible that yours is a compensating tuba but you need to discover exactly what it is.

As to the price it is anyones guess.

I would contact musicians who use tubas and see what they think.

Last edited by Bflatman on Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
hup_d_dup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until about last week TubeNet would have been the best place to ask, but TubeNet is going through a crisis just now.

Many of the most knowledgeable members have moved over to TubaForum.net. If you post there you will get an answer very quickly, especially if can post some photos.

Probably best to post at both forums and see what comes up, but either way, pictures always help.

Hup
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: