• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Should your practice space matter?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetera wrote:
Grits Burgh wrote:
Most often, I practice outside on my deck. This promotes "putting air in the horn". It just feels good playing loudly outdoors (not overblowing, just using full breaths and projecting). This is good for me because when I practice indoors, I have a tendency to play softly and get lazy with my breathing.

In fact, I'm just about to go outside and start practicing...

Warm regards,
Grits

Do you have neighbors?

I do, and also utilize my deck (but it's starting to get a little steamy here in the South) and out of deference to my neighbors, try to keep things messo forte at most. Soft long tones, maybe a few scales in the lower register, some Schlossberg.

A couple weeks ago I had the dog out in the yard and young man was walking down the street with his pre-school age daughter. As I greeted them, he asked "Are you the guy with the trumpet?" Uh oh. I said, "Yes, and I hope I'm not disturbing you." He: "No, not at all. I'm a trombone player and a music ed major, although I'm currently teaching mathematics at <<local high school.>>"

Sometimes a little neighborhood playing makes connections
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the lore I've heard about Doc is that as a young guy in New York, he covered the walls of his bathroom in his apartment with mattresses and that was his practice room.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy gets it:

Armin Kupper sax in a pipeline
Rickperon
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 Wrote: "Having practiced for years (and still doing so) in my dining room, wood floors, bare walls etc. where I sound quite good, I got a massive shock. A few years ago I was asked to play in a theatre pit orchestra for a musical. We rehearsed in a church hall for a few weeks, where again I sounded good. Then we moved to the venue. What a wake up call. Totally dead sound. My sound, to me, was awful and was lost in the expanse. I dreaded playing. Fortunately, once the sound engineers had done their thing with microphones, monitors and headphones, I sounded like me again. Must have done ok as I get called back to the same theatre for any musicals or shows that require trumpets. Now I do a few practices in different room, that has a dead sound, when I’m due to play a show."

A typical 1st day doing the Touring Broadway Musicals that come thru town consist of a morning & afternoon rehearsal in the lobby (boomy)... after a dinner break, you move to the pit, sometimes when the monitors are not set, yes a bit of shock... like, what just happened! I sounded so good in the lobby! Also, when you have a theatre full of people, that also can change things a bit. It took me awhile, but over the years I learned to expect and anticipate it, most of these touring companies (tech) usually have their act together and are always quite helpful in making sure you are getting what you need in the pit. I'm sure this has all been covered elsewhere, but just wanted to add my two cents. I for the most part practice in an A frame type of home, with not too high vaulted ceilings, great acoustics.... but sometimes I do practice in a small room out of consideration for others.
Rick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
I'd say, ideally, varying the practice space would be my goal.
Like much of what we do, there are benefits and handicaps of each.

One downside for me now, is the volume. Even at home, in a decent sized room with some carpeting, my sound is quite loud. After a long session I notice my hearing is fatigued. For my own hearing protection I do some if not much of that work with a cup mute or something for some level of protection-not ideal.

Seek out a church and trade an occasional performance for rehearsal space.

Cheers!

That's at least two of us who were sons of minister who appreciate the volume/space available from church auditoriums ... Much to be preferred than the 2nd or 3rd bedroom of one's house.

Reckon I'm a wee bit fortunate. We have a pretty large family room, 8 ft ceiling and timber floor. Provides pretty reasonable acoustics even if a wee bit on the loud side.

When relegated to MY room set up as a home office I tend to use a mute to kill the volume and protect the ears a bit. BUT I've been struggling with for a decent tone with two cup mutes (1xH&B stone lined, 1x Vincent Bach black plastic) and one aluminium "straight" mute similar to the Crown brand.

FWIW ... Reckon I've found a solution to the "plasticky" tone of the Vincent Bach by stuffing a layer of super soft toilet paper into the base of the cup.To me it softens the volume and makes the tone much more like an "open" trumpet.
B&S 150A Alto-Tenor Horn
Yamaha FZ8n (motorcycle)
Conn 83B (trumpet)
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice in our furnished basement, not because I particularly prefer it, but in order to be a good neighbor. I use shooter's earmuffs for hearing protection. I'd really like to practice in some large space, but since I haven't got one available, the basement will do.

Years ago, when we lived in an apartment, I practiced with a mute, but I soon learned to hate it and haven't used one since.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally, for me, it would be nice to practice in various rooms or even outdoors on occasion. I have to make-do with the front room of our house which faces a major thoroughfare through my neighbourhood. I get to listen to traffic while entertaining - or not - joggers and dog-walkers while I flub various notes as I murder 'Stormy Weather'.
Fortunately, the house next door is a business which caters to the hard of hearing. True.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMrtn wrote:

Fortunately, the house next door is a business which caters to the hard of hearing. True.

LOL: Hearing aids? That would mean they go in hearing badly and come out able to hear you better!!
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on my post from two years ago. My daughter moved out, and I took over her room as my home office and it was wonderful. Had room to blow and could have all my horns out on their stands so I could grab them any time . Enjoyed it for a year, and then she dropped out of school and moved back home. Now I'm back in the closet. It was fun while it lasted.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
Enjoyed it for a year, and then she dropped out of school and moved back home. Now I'm back in the closet. It was fun while it lasted.

Bummer.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Eliot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

c
spitvalve wrote:
Update on my post from two years ago. My daughter moved out, and I took over her room as my home office and it was wonderful. Had room to blow and could have all my horns out on their stands so I could grab them any time . Enjoyed it for a year, and then she dropped out of school and moved back home. Now I'm back in the closet. It was fun while it lasted.

Can't say I know the feeling but ...

Commiserations anyway ... Very sad that you are back in the closet. Daughter wouldn't fit in the closet?
B&S 150A Alto-Tenor Horn
Yamaha FZ8n (motorcycle)
Conn 83B (trumpet)
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eliot wrote:

Commiserations anyway ... Very sad that you are back in the closet. Daughter wouldn't fit in the closet?

1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
SMrtn wrote:

LOL: Hearing aids? That would mean they go in hearing badly and come out able to hear you better!!

They go for fitting - I think. Not being totally deaf I'm sure they hear me anyways. Normally I don't care, but when I play a bad note in whatever standard I'm learning, I grimace knowing that someone out on the street heard it.
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the kind of practice you do is important more so than the acoustics. If you prefer a particular room, go for it, but realistically there's ways of turning uninspired spaces into good practice rooms.

Most important in my practice room:
- No distractions (phone on Do Not Disturb mode)
- No expectations
- Water bottle
- Comfortable chair that inspires correct posture
- Timer set to go off every 15-mins (reset mentally, give chops a tiny break)

When it comes to acoustics, I like dead rooms because there's nothing worse, which means when I get into a hall or nice room, I can only do better. Some tiny rooms (see jazz clubs) are so difficult to manage, but if I practiced in a Church all day, I would have a terrible time.
Eliot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this for one's practise room?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2799970320103153&set=a.127242337375978&type=3&theater
B&S 150A Alto-Tenor Horn
Yamaha FZ8n (motorcycle)
Conn 83B (trumpet)
JMWTpt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One ply or two?
Eliot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMWTpt wrote:
One ply or two?

Surely one would need (edit insert - at least) one ply for each valve? ''
B&S 150A Alto-Tenor Horn
Yamaha FZ8n (motorcycle)
Conn 83B (trumpet)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: