• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

One dent effecting the whole horn?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exiting the valves, just before it curves into the bell flair, itself.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the op ever say if the slide still moves easy?

Two story’s :

Last week I got a vintage horn that needed work but played stunningly great. Normally I do mist repairs but this one had a badly placed dent and I got got my good friend who is great with dents to work it out. He got it out beautifully. It so happens that the bell also had a bit of a bend to it and he massaged it straight without unsoldering the braces. I got it all cleaned and unstuck etc.... and it did not play well. Just like a mediocre vintage horn with problems and before it was amazing. Like the very first note you can tell and the horn was slotted flexible and above all, musical. Now it was hard to play musically. We talked about if the bell should be massaged straight with the braces intact or not. He elected to keep them intact. The braces were three piece floating braces. When heated them the back brace popped about 1/16th inch and the front brace moved slightly but with no gap. I massaged the bell dome more to perfectly straight and resoldered the braces. Result? Fixed. And that was not really that much tension in those braces. Subtle tension/big problem. Prob would not have been noticed if the horn was only average.

2nd story: I loaned my New York bach C trumpet to somebody and the 3rd slide fell out. No water key so it landed right on the end and put a pretty big dent. Friend was distraught so I agreed he could take it to a local highly respected tech of considerable fame. Whatever dent ball rod he used barely fit down the pipe and made a protruding line all the way down the tube. Ouch. The slide barely worked and he said it will break itself in. The whole horn played awful especially when playing actual music. I took the slide s as part and the de-dent process made the radius of the crook like .002 bigger. That is enough to never break itself in. I made a new slide out of large bore Bb parts (may have had a time of getting the right crook out of my boneyard) and made it right, aligned etc. Problem fixed.

Might not allot to the OP situation but the dent could easily change the radius of the crook a cause things seemingly unrelated. And when you notice is when you are playing music as opposed to test playing the instrument per se.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not responding just to you, lipshurt, because you're immediately preceding me.

Some of this, like Jim Becker referring to one specific place, is undoubtedly true but I wonder how much internet-speak minutia too. I sent my horn to Bobby Shew for a tweaking and he noticed the dents and specifically said that, where they were, they didn't affect anything.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
Ha ha ha ha

I like you rusty I was not taking a pot at you

I do tend to be a little forthright and direct sometimes it is perhaps a failing if mine.

I am a trumpeter and that means my head is sometimes up my ass.

No offense taken. I just sometimes find myself wondering if I really read what I just thought I read.

While I agree that we all adjust our technique, including embouchure, to fit the instrument I just could not see it being the OP's issue.

I believe the adjusting to equipment is part of the legendary "honeymoon period" with new horns. So it isn't too far fetched.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Bobby shew say I g the dents did not affect anything. Probably true. A dent is not not nearly as important as tension in the body of the horn. Dents can cause tension, or removing dents can cause tension, and gentle pressure from a case that slightly bends the horn can cause tension, or removing the slight bends caused by the case pressure can cause tension. You can’t see tension usually, and sometimes when you think there is tension like obvious distortion, there might not be tension. Some brand new horns are assembled with quite a bit of tension, and some are not. Some people think that cryogenenic processing relieves tension. I’ve seen horns pop apart 1/4 inch or more when you heat the bell brace.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had two instances of dents that improved a trumpet's performance.
One is a friend's YTR8335NY that has a dent on the bell tail, about an inch from the 1st valve casing. He said it played better after it got hit, so I left that one alone. The other was a Yamaha Chicago C that had a dent in about the same place. Since the bell crook had a crimp, much like old Bachs, I couldn't get to the dent without altering the crimp. I left that one alone as well.
https://yourbrass.com/
joe1joey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
My opinion is the third slide has radically altered the intonation on the third slide only.

This is misleading because we rely upon a consistent embouchure across all slides.

Before the accident the embouchure you used for the third slide notes was the same as the embouchure you used for the first and second.

No more

The third slide very probably has forced a change to your embouchure and blow to cope with the third slide change. And this is now affecting your embouchure and blow across the entire instrument.

Think about it you now require different playing for the third slide to negotiate the notes. How can this not affect your playing of the first and second slide notes as well.

It is not you and it is you.

Just as soon as you get that slide repaired your embouchure will settle down once again.

Sensibility shared.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: