• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Improv - Call and response

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:27 am    Post subject: Improv - Call and response Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm looking for something fairly specific and am having a devil of a time trying to find it. Maybe I just don't know the right keywords to punch into google.

Basically, I'm chasing some aebersold baking track type stuff but where there is a call-and-response or trading 1/2/4s situation going on. So a soloist in the recording plays a 1/2/4 bar solo, then there is a gap for you to respond either by copying or just improvising your own phrase.

Ideally it would start simple and gradually (over several hours worth of recordings) the 'call' part gets more complicated.

This is the kind of thing I'm looking for, but in different jazz styles (blues, bebop, swing, cool etc):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCVAKVSUP-c

Anyone know anything that would fit the bill? It doesn't have to be trumpet but if that exists, that would be cool, too.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Willey's extremely awesome Major and Minor ii-V-I books include a "play along with Rich" play-along where you can trade 4s with him. Maybe that's close to what you're looking for?

My other suggestion would be - why need a "backing track" at all? Why not find records where your favorite players are trading with the piano or something and you can just solo over the other player's section? I practice soloing over my favorite records all the time; there's no better way than that to "get to play with Max Roach" if you get my drift.

Good luck!
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Turkle,

Recordings are great but often playing call and response (by ear) with the soloist is to hard for beginners. I'm looking for something my students can use to practice their ears and 'grok' real jazz vocabulary. Plus the 'conversation' aspect seems to help them get jazz way quicker than just noodling over a backing track. I want something structured and progressive rather than just throwing them totally in the deep end if possible.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good improv game to play WITH OTHER MUSICIANS! Get one or more of your friends that play and spend time doing this and other playing games. It's actually really good exercise that's hard to get in any other kind of practice.

keith
mcombo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Found these last night... Reply with quote

This guy has some really fun call/response play-alongs in Gypsy jazz style. I just found them last night and spent hours. He is a very inventive and tasteful musician, which helped me tremendously in coming up with new ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/c/GuitareImprovisationCom/videos

He has a lot of videos, so it can be challenging to find the call/response ones. Here is a fun one to get started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sextoeq56zQ

Hopefully this is along the lines of what you're looking for, at least in one style.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - thanks! That's at least more content of the same kind.

I'm ideally looking for something like this but which started simple and got more complicated so that it can be used as ear training as well as call and response. But maybe it doesn't exist... Which boggles my mind given how many improvisation books and courses are out there.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Rich Willey's extremely awesome Major and Minor ii-V-I books include a "play along with Rich" play-along where you can trade 4s with him. Maybe that's close to what you're looking for?

My other suggestion would be - why need a "backing track" at all? Why not find records where your favorite players are trading with the piano or something and you can just solo over the other player's section? I practice soloing over my favorite records all the time; there's no better way than that to "get to play with Max Roach" if you get my drift.

Good luck!

Thanks for the plug, Turkle.

There are two extended tracks per book where you (1) trade two-bar phrases with me and then (2) trade four-bar phrases with me. Before you poo-poo the idea, take a look at my website, first the major II-V book and then the minor II-V book. There are samples you can look at and listen to that might help inform your decision before you dismiss the idea entirely.

It's probably well over an hour of this intensive work-out if you total up just those tracks from the two books. It might be intimidating for some, but for the ambitious and dedicated student you'll probably be satiated for a good long time.

Oh, and these do start simple and get more complicated. The sound clip samples are pulled from somewhere in the middle of the massive Play Along With Rich tracks, so they are not the simplest nor the most difficult passages.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich,

No poo-poo-ing here. I didn't respond regarding your book because I already own a copy

Really just looking for *more* of this content... For blues, bossa, etc etc.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

This! I'm looking for lots of content like this. Simple call and response stuff. Great for ear training and learning language at the same time. Then they can move on to harder call and response stuff later once their ears are really getting used to hearing.

Help! I'll make it myself if I need to, but was hoping stuff like this would already exist...
Bwat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For different instruments in many different styles, suitable for anyone who has completed basic studies.

https://www.halleonard.com/product/236551/easy-improvisation
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the Rich Willey book. Really excited for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: