• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Looking for advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PLM2833

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Looking for advice Reply with quote

I had taken a short 50 break from playing, now back at it and having fun. I've been playing a 1949 Buescher Aristocrat, it need some work one of the slides is frozen, but the valves are still in very good shape. I purchased a 1950 Conn Victor and tried to have it reworked but it isn't working out. I'd like to purchase a intermediate trumpet and would appreciate some advice, I don't have an endless bank account. Are Jean Paul horns worth the money? Looking forward to hearing ideas and opinions.

Thanks
Paul
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It greatly depends on your budget of course, but I believe the general consensus here is to either get a beginner's horn for budget reasons, or a pro horn to get value for your money. Intermediate horns are often neither cheap nor much better than student horns of the same brand.

If you really want a better instrument, try going for a second-hand 'pro horn'. They're much more affordable than new ones.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just hypothetical until you tell us what your budget is.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
PLM2833

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to stay in the neighborhood of $500.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your Buescher is playable (stuck valve slides isn't generally a big problem unless individual note tuning is way off), then consider watching the local Craigslist for musical instruments. Now is usually when many instruments are listed prior to beginning of the school year.

It's best to be able to test play the horn before buying. Look for how well the small parts are finished (no rough or sharp edges) and the uniformity of solder joints. If there is a local repair person, contact them and ask if they know of anything available.

$500 is unlikely enough for a real 'pro horn' in good shape, but is plenty for a good student level or 'near-pro' one.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $500 you could find a good vintage trumpet or a reliable student trumpet like a Getzen 300/400 series; possibly a newer intermediate level horn like a Getzen Capri or Eastman 500 series.

If you get closer to $800 you can find some newer instruments, such as the terrific Getzen 700S Eterna II or an Eastman 800 series pro model trumpet. To give you a sense of price, I recently sold a Getzen 700S for $800 and an Eastman 822 for $700. Both were in excellent condition.

Good luck!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably find a Getzen Capri. IMO they're better than they're usually categorised. It's basically in your price range, used. Make sure the seller has a liberal return policy.

I've got a friend who's a first trumpeter who had been playing one for decades and he sees no reason to change.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for advice Reply with quote

PLM2833 wrote:
I had taken a short 50 break from playing, now back at it and having fun. I've been playing a 1949 Buescher Aristocrat, it need some work one of the slides is frozen, but the valves are still in very good shape. I don't have an endless bank account. Are Jean Paul horns worth the money? Looking forward to hearing ideas and opinions.

Thanks
Paul

A. Consider getting the Buescher looked at by a repair person. If the valves are in good shape, that's a main concern out of the way. Even if the horn has to be partially disassembled, it won't cost $500 to get the slides working. Then you can keep it clean and lubed and it will play better.
That factory produced very high quality instruments.

B. Jean Paul is a wall horn.

Good Luck,
-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
It greatly depends on your budget of course, but I believe the general consensus here is to either get a beginner's horn for budget reasons, or a pro horn to get value for your money. Intermediate horns are often neither cheap nor much better than student horns of the same brand.

If you really want a better instrument, try going for a second-hand 'pro horn'. They're much more affordable than new ones.

This.

Getzen Capri, solid instrument that can be had in that price range. Otherwise, you'll have to be lucky and patient.

Get your Buescher fixed. It should play fine - better than a lot of off brand horns like Jean Paul. Most of the time, with new, you get what you pay for - or even less than you pay for.

What's the problem with the Victor? That could be a good one.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A used Kanstul 700 is a fine horn. Some professionals have said it plays as good or better than many professional grade horns. They aren't everywhere, but when they come up they are often for $500 - $700.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually avoid making suggestions in threads like this because I am not you, I dont know your playing style, or your physical compatibility with different elements of design. All that caveat being detailed now, within your budget a Conn 22B Early model (1921-1929/30) has good odds of being a fit. Again, no guarantees, we are all different, but they are a match in that price range for more than they are not, and they are abundant despite being so old. (only horn that old I can think of that still works in a modern context)

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't own one myself, but from what I've heard Olds Ambassdors can be good trumpets too, especially for their value (can even be a bit less than your budget). But you'd really need to playtest it to ensure you get a good one.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for advice Reply with quote

PLM2833 wrote:
I purchased a 1950 Conn Victor and tried to have it reworked but it isn't working out.

I advise you to spend all the budget you have on overhauling the Conn Victor.
The Conn Victor 22B is a trumpet that can compete with 95% of modern pro horns if she is in a good condition
PLM2833

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Victor has a valve issue and I've been told it would not be worth the money to have it repaired. I'm looking at a Conn B22 New York Symphony suppose to be from the early 1950's that is in excellent condition.
krell1960
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLM2833 wrote:
The Victor has a valve issue and I've been told it would not be worth the money to have it repaired. I'm looking at a Conn B22 New York Symphony suppose to be from the early 1950's that is in excellent condition.

This is a great trumpet, i had one once that i borrowed from Jerome Callet. These are great horns if they are in great shape, really easy to play and have an upper register that can really peel paint off the back wall. Be patient my friend and you will find something worth buying, I found a Conn vintage One on craigslist for 600 bucks, pro horns are out there for the money you want to spend, you just have to be patient and persistent to find them.

all the best.

tom
PLM2833

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the many replies, Your advise has been helpful.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Jean Paul trumpet Reply with quote

Paul. The Jean Paul, Jean Paul, Schiller are lower priced Chinese trumpets. You may get lucky and find a good one. Hasn't been my experience. Give the Beuscher several baths until the slide is unstuck. If you need to bring to the repair shop and have the slide pulled or get a chemical cleaning.
My recommendation for an excellent intermediate trumpet is the Getzen 700 S Eterna trumpet. Best offer on ebay is a good way to go. Depending on your budget, you may want to look at older professional trumpets. Like the King Silverflair 1055 trumpet or a Getzen Renaissance trumpet. When you get a workable horn,focus on your embrochure, lessons and practice routine.
Yamaha 11 e4 cornet mouthpiece
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An intermediate trumpet will cost you around 700 dollars.

It will cost around 60 dollars to free the slide and make your Buescher playable and around 600 dollars for a full refurb to make it look and play as new.

Replacing a horn because a slide becomes stuck makes no sense and is like buying a new car when the old car simply needs a service.

Service the Buescher.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bflatman wrote:
An intermediate trumpet will cost you around 700 dollars.

It will cost around 60 dollars to free the slide and make your Buescher playable and around 600 dollars for a full refurb to make it look and play as new.

Replacing a horn because a slide becomes stuck makes no sense and is like buying a new car when the old car simply needs a service.

Service the Buescher.

This just reminded me that one of my friend's mother told him he should get a new car instead of just getting new tires.

He didn't. He got tires.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Ita’s store is always a good resource and he has a couple of nice horns that are in your price range.

https://www.brassinstrumentworkshop.com/product-page/holton-t-508-collegiate-bb-trumpet

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: