• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Air Flow Through Multiple Tonguing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Air Flow Through Multiple Tonguing Reply with quote

Does anyone have any drills that they like to use to improving air flow through multiple tonguing passages? On a single pitch I tend to be fine but once I start moving pitches and multiple tonguing, notes start to get choked off a bit, too short/pecky.

I’ve been trying to focus on using softer tongue strokes (D/G) but the problem still manifests itself.
honey44

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always used the Sigmund Herring Double and Triple Tonguing book to practice these types of exercises. I had the same problem with pecky notes and I managed to fix it by playing the passage slow and legato while multiple tonguing. When I brought up the speed I could more easily control the length of the note.

I hope this helps!
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had good results by playing long loud series of K tongued notes. The K tongue should bee as forward in the mouth as possible If done properly this can leave you with a tired tongue and tired chops. A week or so of this makes double tonguing smooth and easy with speed developed with practice.

Along with this although not in the same practice session, i practiced smooth TKTK tonging slowly with even airflow, tongue rocking back and forth between t and k , just interrupting the air.
coraltrpt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it’s not a specific drill, this masterclass with Tom Hooten goes into the subject of tonguing and fluency. Totally changed how I practiced this skill:

Link

Hope this adds to the discussion!
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working through the Double/Triple tonguing exercises at the end of the Schuebruk on the "Double and Triple Staccato". The first sets of exercises there are all about extending the length of the passages, even though they are just eight repeated passages. I've definitely noticed that my multiple tonguing elsewhere has gotten smoother as result.

If you don't have the Schuebruk, I'd imagine you could apply the same principles using any exercises that were increasing passages of eighth notes.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Freedman wrote:
The K ongue should bee as forward in the mouth as possible If done properly this can leave you with a tired tongue and tired chops. A week or so of this makes double tonguing smooth and easy with speed developed with practice.

Along with this although not in the same practice session, i practiced smooth TKTK tonging slowly with even airflow, tongue rocking back and forth between t and k , just interrupting the air.

These points are critical.

1) Make sure the K syllable is as far forward as possible.
2) Blow a consistent stream of air. I increase air flow in multiple tongued passages to counteract the next point.
3) The tongue only interrupts air flow, meaning it just breaks the continuity a little. It does not stop it.

If you employ tongue arch, use a forward arch if you don't already. This will make a more forward K tongue possible. Using a rear arch (back of the tongue) can tighten the throat and choke off the air stream.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way back when I was playing more, tonguing, especially multiple tonguing, was an issue. What I discovered, with the help of my teacher (David Zuercher), was that I was not blowing steadily but stifling the air. You (or at least I) actually have to blow a little harder when multiple-tonguing to support the sound whilst letting the tongue interrupt the airflow.

The analogy I came up with at the time was that, if the airflow is water form a faucet, then your tongue is like a finger flicking through the flow; it is not your hand turning the faucet on and off. And if you want to keep the flow into the bucket (bell) the same, you have to turn up the water (air) just a bit to account for all the interruptions.

FWIWFM - Don
tubbs831
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for all of these suggestions! Looking forward to giving them a try.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be concerned with air flow. The act of tonging does stop the flow between notes. And then re-starts it. Actually, the tongue denies air pressure to the aperture between notes. Don't attempt to "force" the air flow through this.

Just maintain a steady blowing effort, (air pressure) for the dynamic level.

For rapid tonguing you must develop a very short duration "stop" between notes. And then learn to coordinate it with valve changes.

There are some specific exercises to do this.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tpt_Guy wrote:
These points are critical.

1) Make sure the K syllable is as far forward as possible.
2) Blow a consistent stream of air. I increase air flow in multiple tongued passages to counteract the next point.
3) The tongue only interrupts air flow, meaning it just breaks the continuity a little. It does not stop it.

If you employ tongue arch, use a forward arch if you don't already. This will make a more forward K tongue possible. Using a rear arch (back of the tongue) can tighten the throat and choke off the air stream.

The only thing I can add is that, equipped with all of the above I had to commit myself to practice pretty much the entire Clarke technical studies with every single tonguing model (below) before my multiple tonguing became a non-issue.
- slur all
- single tongue all
- slur two/tongue two
- double tongue all
- triple tongue (were it makes sense)
- k-tongue all (this sucks, is totally humbling, and is ultimately very helpful)
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: