• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wedge mouthpieces. Who benefits and who doesn't?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject: Wedge mouthpieces. Who benefits and who doesn't? Reply with quote

Why do some players benefit from the Wedge mouthpiece concept and others not? Are factors at play such as embouchure type?..or anything else? Thanks in advance for any replies.
walldaja

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only speak for the benefits I received.

I first tried a Wedge in 2008 on a trumpet. Immediate effect was improved flexibility due to reduction of pressure in the corners. Over time I was able to improve by strengthening my corners and learned to keep the pressure off the top lip. Due to my initial success on trumpet I soon got a Wedge for flugelhorn, cornet, and euphonium. I tried the euph's Wedge on trombone but didn't like the sound (5GL).

On trombone I've shifted away from the Wedge but still use it on trumpet, flugelhorn, and euph. I've been using a Dennis Wick on cornet lately (since COVID).

One big factor on the trumpet is the bore (#25 vs #27). Noticeable improvement in sound, volume, and blow.

Sonare TRC-800, Dennis Wick 1.5C
Blessing Standard, Denis Wick 1.5C
Accent TR959 CDB C tpt Stork XM2 Studio Mstr
Jupiter 846S Flug Schilke 18F
Shires Q30GR T-bone 5 / 4 CL
Yamaha YBL-421G T-bone 2 CL
Jean Baptist Euphonium Stork 4
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree with Dave here. I never studied privately for any extended period until college. I had a lot of bad habits to break, the biggest of which was chop movement. The Wedge served as an incredible training tool to strengthen my corners so I was "tightening the drawstring" as my teacher put it, instead of clamping shut top to bottom.

If you have issues with a frowning / smiling embouchure, this can help to eliminate that issue.

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
darksmoke

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it seems to have the capability of being a great learning/ practice tool for other MPs, at least. I'm sure there's an army of players using them as their main piece as well. I might have to look into trying one at some point. I would also guess that embouchure is the primary factor at play for whether or not one will help you.
-Callet SC6
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're well made mouthpieces but I just never really got on with them well enough to warrant change.

I play off center so perhaps that has something to do with it.

For me, I'd always end up kinda sore on the top and bottom contact points. And the bottom of the rim never felt very stable because I play on top of a crooked lower tooth.

I actually think I would be better with the mouthpiece built the opposite way. With the oval part running long ways.

I really wanted to love them, especially seeing as I love Ridenour's playing and sound as well as Pierobon's and I thought they produce a good sound with a certain stability to it that sounded a bit different than a Bach, but it's just never worked out.

Even writing this, I'm fighting the urge to buy another one just to make sure it won't magically start working for me...
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve also been wondering about the Wedge mouthpieces. It’s an interesting concept, but I’ve never really viewed it as something that will stick. I guess I just need to try them before I can really make a real assumption.
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve always wondered how you get the mouthpiece to land in exactly the right orientation every time.
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted this before so I hope it isn't redundant. I was Dr. Dave's very first paying customer. Back then, the mouthpiece was a hand modified Monette B4S. There was no adjustment period for me. The big thing that I noticed was increased endurance.
I've worked with Dave ever since that time and have changed sizes a couple of times as he added new models. Today, I play 65MV for almost everything from Bb to picc. Occasionally, I will use a 65MDV or 64S for very specific needs.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOlds wrote:
I’ve always wondered how you get the mouthpiece to land in exactly the right orientation every time.

It's really not a big deal. You just line it up right before you start playing, and leave it there.

You can see Brandon Ridenour plays with the Wedge mouthpiece horizontal, but the instrument rotated quite a lot.
https://youtu.be/Ui51mftdid0

Ridenour sounds fantastic on the Wedge mouthpieces and obviously prefers them because he's been playing on one for at least 10 years I would say, which is pretty remarkable if you think about it.
If it's good enough for Brandon...
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found them to be very uncomfortable, after giving it an honest try on several occassions. On top of which I didn't like the tone produced, some depth of color lacking, so I didn't proceed with chasing them in my mouthpiece safari.

In my mind, mouthpiece placement is very important, to add the variant of rim orientation seemed like a problem waiting to happen, or at least adding another hurdle to jump.
(If I have to drop my left hand while playing to grab a mute or turn a page and my trumpet rotates a bit to adjust for playing with one hand, do I then have the mouthpiece oriented improperly or I have to tip my head as well..?_)

As a teacher I avoid suggesting these to students as a mouthpiece to check out unless they are very solid in their embouchure and physical set. Too many variables.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing a Wedge for approximately 3 years. It's true, proper orientation is essential, but I can honestly say it was not a problem for me with the exception of once or twice where I started playing before I lined up the dot correctly. You find out PDQ if the orientation is off because your playing goes to hell in a basket.
Over the years I switched back briefly to the 10.5C, the 5C and the 3C but always end up going back to the Wedge.

I agree with zaferis, that this is not an mp for a student.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: