• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

finger buttons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: finger buttons Reply with quote

OK - I'm working on replacing the inlays on the new finger buttons I got for my new Cornet with Abalone Shell, to match (or at least be in the same family as) my trumpet. I found finger buttons that are good, and some abalone, which I am shaping (by hand), but ... here's the thing, and some of you may have done this before (which is why I am asking):
How to safely and cleanly remove the old mother of pearl (not Pearl Bailey) inlays,and what to use to set the replacements. I am leaning toward epoxy, but if some of you know better, please say so.
I tall ya one thing - doing the cutting and shaping by hand is HARD - my arthritis is screaming at me - but using power tools has its own down side.
I'll post before/after if you wish.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see the pics!

Very interesting. I don't suppose you could do a Youtube Vid of the work or tools you use?
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tools I am using are as simple as I can make them. A scribing tool, a circle template, a magnifying lens on a stand, a file, and a LOT of time.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10223415159309691&set=a.10223415157909656&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10223415158309666&set=a.10223415157909656&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10223415272272515&set=a.10223415157909656&type=3&theater
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remove old inlays with my lathe, or my hot air gun.

Most stock inlays that are glued are very easy to remove. If the button metal is pressed around the inlay, you will need to remove that pressed edge to remove the inlay.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Divitt Trumpets wrote:
I remove old inlays with my lathe, or my hot air gun.

Most stock inlays that are glued are very easy to remove. If the button metal is pressed around the inlay, you will need to remove that pressed edge to remove the inlay.

Thanks. I have neither a lathe nor an air gun, but the tip about the pressed edge helps.
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat gun or a lighter but don't burn the pearl. For cutting you may want to look to Luthier's Mercantile https://www.lmii.com/ for videos and tutorials. There are plenty of Youtube videos on how to do inlay, the process the same for wood and shell. Stone is slightly different. I use a jeweler's saw to cut pearl and abalone for inlay work. It's much easier than you think. Patience is required. Use shellac for adhesive, again you can heat it up. But don't use epoxy as then you'll need to replace the whole button if anything happens that the inlay needs to be replaced.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harryjamesworstnightmare wrote:
Heat gun or a lighter but don't burn the pearl. For cutting you may want to look to Luthier's Mercantile https://www.lmii.com/ for videos and tutorials. There are plenty of Youtube videos on how to do inlay, the process the same for wood and shell. Stone is slightly different. I use a jeweler's saw to cut pearl and abalone for inlay work. It's much easier than you think. Patience is required. Use shellac for adhesive, again you can heat it up. But don't use epoxy as then you'll need to replace the whole button if anything happens that the inlay needs to be replaced.

A very handy tip. Shellac .. .I think I have some left from a project.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look very cool. Nice job.
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dershem wrote:
harryjamesworstnightmare wrote:

A very handy tip. Shellac .. .I think I have some left from a project.

Stick shellac. If you use liquid shellac it's too thin, let a little bit air dry a while until it's the consistency of paste, then use a small screw driver to scoop a bit out and put it in the hole and then press the inlay on top.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dershem - what is the thickness of the inlays shown in you pics? Your work looks good.
Thanks,
Ron
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1mm thick. Finished the project today (the same link should work), and I'm pretty happy with how it went. Thanks for the compliment.

Now I need to find new caps to do inlays for my flugel! Alas Marcinkiewicz used a different thread than Bach, Benge or Yamaha, and they don't have any spares at the factory. Hmmm...
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Ron
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dershem wrote:
I have neither a lathe nor an air gun, but the tip about the pressed edge helps.

The button inlays on Olds horns I have are also held in by bending the edge over. Apparently they were never glued, because I can rotate them.

I sold a Super recently that had a missing pearl inlay in the second valve slide pull button. I fixed it by making a replacement from an old finger button inlay. No lathe either, so I glued it to a stick as a handle and twirled it against a bench grinder until it was the proper diameter. I straightened the rolled over edge using the flat end if a drill bit. I put in the inlay with a little glue just to hold it temporarily while folding the edge back over. To fold the edge, I figured a tool with a round tapered cavity is needed. That would let it press the whole edge at the same time, at an angle suitable to make it bend over the inlay. I made the tool by drilling a piece of tubing scrap. A solid scrap would work too. The tool looks like this:

Pressing and rotating the tool folded the edge smoothly in no time:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: