• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tonguing "breaking apart"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DPhresh1985

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Tonguing "breaking apart" Reply with quote

Comeback player here. Been practicing Schlossberg, Bai Lin, and Arbans about 2 hours throughout the day for the past couple weeks after a 15 year break, while waiting for my first scheduled lesson. When practicing fast single tonguing, the notes start to "break up" and get really harsh. Any suggestions?
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is just fatigue. keep practicing. try practicing 6 hours a day for 3 years. you will most likely find anything that you are not satisfied with in your playing has been resolved. jw
DPhresh1985

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilder wrote:
that is just fatigue. keep practicing. try practicing 6 hours a day for 3 years. you will most likely find anything that you are not satisfied with in your playing has been resolved. jw

Thanks! It's good to know it's just fatigue, which WILL improve with practice. But if I had 6 hours a day to devote to the horn, I'd be a pro!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few quick thoughts.

First, If you've just started up again after 15 years, practicing two hours per day may be (way) too much practicing. You should end each session feeling that you could comfortably play more, and begin each day feeling at least as good as you did the day before. If not, you are probably practicing too much and could be doing more harm than good.

Second, when you are practicing tonguing exercises, make sure you keep the air flowing. Let your tongue interrupt the air stream to help create the articulation; don't stop blowing between notes.

Third, you are re-training the muscles that control tonguing. You want a light/precise attack, but lack the control to consistently achieve that. As you progress, you'll be better able to transition from a "blunt attack" to very refined movement. That will take time.

These are all good things to discuss with your teacher. Welcome back and good luck!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find many players tongue far too aggressively and that could contribute to fatigue. The faster the tongue the lighter it has to be, at least during development. A sufficiently light tongue should produce minimal fatigue.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: