• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What has the TH meant to you?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:33 am    Post subject: What has the TH meant to you? Reply with quote

Practicing today, in the wake of the Covid19, I realized that finding the Trumpet Herald has resultated in a lot of things. I found it in the midst of an embouchure breakdown - searching the net for solutions.
One of the first benefits was the BE which has helped me tremendously. Just cannot be underestimated. Totally changed my approach providing me, so I feel, with many more years of playing on a somewhat decent level, like still playing lead at my age.
Then I´ve learnt a lot about the physics involved; the heated but valuable discussions often with Kalijah..... I´ve received extremely valuable tips concerning mouthpieces - learning a lot about rims, depth, bore etc.
Through the TH I also found Caruso, Pops´relaxation studies, range studies and a lot lot more from various sources.
I´ve been inspired to experiment, no rather try/test different approaches - from a wealth of seasoned players - there´s always room for improvement!
And all those video clips - fantastic bands, guys - providing inspiration (presently Mr Clean - what a humble likable exceptionally well playing guy!). As well as getting in touch with other "brothers of the band"!

In all, finding the TH has made me feel I finally found that University of Horn studies I´ve longed for. Making it possible to share experiences, ideas and what not!

What has the TH meant to you???
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a unique position. On the one hand, I'm an experienced, professional musician. While I played trumpet at North Texas and a hitch in the service and in a "soul" band, most of my professional playing has been on woodwinds. So, i have more knowledge and experience on saxes and flute.

To add to my musical experience, is that I worked a lot as a composer/arranger and conductor. But this is not trumpet-specific knowledge. To further complicate things, I am recovering from two major strokes, so there's a disconnect between what I know and what I can play.

So, I am probably neither fish nor fowl, a lot of musical experience but with trumpet-oriented experience the lesser of that. Here's where TH comes in.

I can, hopefully, contribute on general musical questions but need periodic advice on trumpet-oriented problems. TH lets me swing back and forth between the two because, not only are there experience players here, but most are more than willing to help. That's been invaluable to me.

A challenge, common to most internet sites, is separating the wheat from the chaff.

By now, I've probably decided which posters I give more credibility to but even the lesser come up with great observations from time-to-time, so I feel it's to my own loss to just turn off to someone completely. And, then, sometimes it's a pretty tough crowd but I've found out if what you say is measured most members respond accordingly.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpet Herald is a great resource for inspiration. While I don't neccesarily agree with everything everyone posts, that's part of why it's so useful. There's information from every aspect of playing, experienced and rookie. Trumpet Herald pointed me towards Bill Adams and AR Resonance mouthpieces, which've both improved my playing tremedously. It's also a great place to vent your thoughts on stuff and get some opinions resonated back, even if you end up throwing advice in the wind.

Overall: great community that I hope to contribute a little bit to.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is basically nothing here I need for inspiration.
I learned very quickly not to send young, inexperienced players to here.
There have been too many people here and in the past that don't understand what it takes to be a top notch player and they post nonsense.
How is a young player supposed to know what is right?
To say the least it is amazing how someone can answer a question like an expert and then asks a question about something that even third year player probably knows.
Then there are those who answer a question with 5 of their own to the original poster, 4 of which have no bearing.
True, there are some terrific folks here who add considerable to the forum. They are the ones I enjoy reading.
R. Tomasek
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
There have been too many people here and in the past that don't understand what it takes to be a top notch player and they post nonsense.

Sorry to hear that your don't get much out of TH. What kind of online resources would you recommend instead?
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
How is a young player supposed to know what is right?
To say the least it is amazing how someone can answer a question like an expert and then asks a question about something that even third year player probably knows.
Then there are those who answer a question with 5 of their own to the original poster, 4 of which have no bearing.
True, there are some terrific folks here who add considerable to the forum. They are the ones I enjoy reading.
R. Tomasek

I can see what you mean. If I were a beginning trumpeter reading posts on the TH I many times would get seriously bewildered. However approaching, in a few years, 80, playing in bands since 1958, I do have some experience, if only as a dedicated amateur, always striving for decent playing. And for me personally the TH has meant a lot, providing stimulating discussions (for the most part....) and the opportunity to new angles of incidences - not least from you
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy reading TH on subjects I am interested in. Like everything else, filters are necessary, and opinion is opinion. However, reading all the opinions allows one to pick and choose what works for him or her. TH is fun, educational, a source of information, a place to find stuff I would not otherwise find.
I have also gotten some very valuable information about things like Jim New's gap modulator and various other technical aspects of equipment. The vast array of ideas is great.
I can see why someone might say it is not a place for beginners, but if you have a adult set of filters, like you should have for anything you read on the Web, it is a great resource.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: What has TH meant to you? Reply with quote

I really can't really quantify that? I have learned so much here since I found this website and joined. There is much musically that is traded back and forth in here. People can tap into the wealth of experience that many have had. I value opinions and experiences I read about in here. Thanks to many who have enlightened and enriched my life over the last 4 to 5 years.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have learned a lot here. One of the things that I especially value is the fact that especially when it comes to equipment, you can be exposed to brands that you don’t see in your particular geographical area. When I was in college in Chicago, many years ago, accomplished players played Bach, Benge or Schilke, that was pretty much it. Or at least that all many of us knew about.

The downside here? Like anywhere else online, you have some self appointed “experts“ who in reality probably can’t play their way out of a wet Music And Arts Center bag. But you learn to figure those guys out pretty quickly.

Brad
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez
I recommend joining the International Trumpet Guild.
Articles there are written by seasoned expert teachers and performers. It is well worth the money.
One fellow to check out is Clint McGlaughlin.
Here is his website.
http://www.bbtrumpet.com/home-page/
John Mohan here gives skype lessons and you can talk to him about them.
I was fortunate to grow up in the Chicago area, had great teachers in high school and music school 50 years ago. That is were I learned a vast majority of how to play this very difficult instrument.
I have experienced friends I can always ask a question to and get the right answer.
R. Tomasek
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
I recommend joining the International Trumpet Guild.
Articles there are written by seasoned expert teachers and performers. It is well worth the money.
One fellow to check out is Clint McGlaughlin.
Here is his website.
http://www.bbtrumpet.com/home-page/
John Mohan here gives skype lessons and you can talk to him about them.

Thank you for sharing that.
bamajazzlady
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were not for TH I wouldn't have had a resource to help me in buying my 1st trumpet. Too bad my inability to learn how to play it due to personal circumstances left me to bury it in its case.
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this site entertaining to a small degree, and that's all there is - for me. I'm personally well able to find solutions to problems or get around roadblocks myself. If I really feel stuck I'll take a break and watch a youtube explaining my situation. This works sometimes, and other times it doesn't, but I'll eventually get around it anyway. If you can get a teacher, all the better.
For sales and other stuff this site is excellent, but as a teaching medium ... not so much. Nothing to see here, it's just my two cents...as they say.
Dutchman1954

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that TH has shown how different things have become since I gave up playing some forty years ago. I find it quite interesting the level of what is now considered necessary to achieve the playing skills of today, compared to what it was back in the 1970's. Then there are the things that haven't changed, some of which are what caused me to give it up after ten years of instruction, not only playing, but theory and composition.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutchman1954 wrote:
I have found that TH has shown how different things have become since I gave up playing some forty years ago. I find it quite interesting the level of what is now considered necessary to achieve the playing skills of today, compared to what it was back in the 1970's. Then there are the things that haven't changed, some of which are what caused me to give it up after ten years of instruction, not only playing, but theory and composition.

Should be interesting to know "how different things have become"!
Please elaborate and share your ideas! Food for thought! And discussion - might be entertaining!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMrtn wrote:
I find this site entertaining to a small degree, and that's all there is - for me. I'm personally well able to find solutions to problems or get around roadblocks myself. If I really feel stuck I'll take a break and watch a youtube explaining my situation. This works sometimes, and other times it doesn't, but I'll eventually get around it anyway. If you can get a teacher, all the better.
For sales and other stuff this site is excellent, but as a teaching medium ... not so much. Nothing to see here, it's just my two cents...as they say.

I thought some time about an answer on the OP's question and this quote sums it up quite well with the exception that I don't buy anything anymore in the US because of tax burdens (EU).
I can add that I scan new threads on the persons who placed it and who reacted on it. For that purpose this button is great: Mark all forums read
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TH has been the biggest resource, conduit, and watering hole for my trumpet playing since I joined several years ago. There's so much information available now that wasn't decades ago when I was starting out.
I've learned about other's approaches and struggles, whether beginners, old pros, or comebackers. I've learned about horns & technical stuff, and bought a couple of nice horns from members.
I've even learned about, and gone to, a couple of conferences that were very informative.
JohnMcLein

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still new to this site. I read a lot of topics and try to draw on the experience of local people for my development. My experience is not enough to create discussions, but I am very interested in reading I am very happy that I can use the experience of others. Thank you to all participants of this resource. That's what TH is for me.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor,

Glad to have you onboard my friend. Equally nice to learn that you're deriving support from B/E. I too am going through a major embouchure change. And yet it's becoming so cool that am already teaching it to one of my adult students. At times I think that he has more potential at playing high notes than me! That's a good thing.

Then just the other day I popped a solid G/DHC. Not the highest tone I'd ever played but the most significant. As it was FAT! Blew my mind... See I've learned how to play high notes twice in my life. The first time being back in the early 1970s when I was still in my teens. From my experience then and now one way that I've learned to understand when an embouchure change is starting to really gel is when your highest notes get louder than those a perfect fourth or so below them. Later on the whole register gets bigger. However it's crucial to learn high notes FIRST. Or at least have the capacity to play them.

I probably oughta find a name for this condition and label it. Previously back in my early teens the note that started fattening up was my High G. This however became what is called a "limited embouchure". As I had a serious ceiling in range exactly at G above high C. Not today however.

So I guess that you could say that I appreciate the friends I've made here on TH. Esp yourself Seymor.

That said? Am more than a little concerned that folks aren't posting so much here as they used to. As I put a post on "High Range Development" last Monday on Oct 12th and I'll be damned if no one else has placed anything on that forum at all since. It's like tumbleweeds are blowing thru. I'm a little concerned.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: