• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Book for acclimating to reading ledger lines?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Book for acclimating to reading ledger lines? Reply with quote

Does anyone publish a book specifically for developing reading above the staff - i.e. that incorporates ledger lines not just 8va notation?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not aware of such a book, but books like Clint "Pops" McLaughlin's "New Arban" or "New Clarke" have studies written out from the low register into the double-high register above the staff for your ledger-line reading pleasure.

For instance, on page 263 of the "New Arban" the classic Arban scale studies in Bb are written from third line Bb up to double Bb. Page 43 of the "New Clarke" has Etude 2 in Eb starting on fourth space Eb and going up to double Bb. Lots of ledger lines....

Have fun!
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try books written for other instruments,like violin,piano or flute.You can get used to reading ledger lines with out with out special books by just doing it a lot. I have seen a lot of published arrangements either write 8VA or print cue notes an octave lower when going above the G above high C.I assume this is to give the performer an option but it does make it easier to read.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just take some sax books. The written range is up tp a F (or F#) above High C with the possibility of playing altissimo way higher. There are a ton of books. See jazzbooks.com for a start.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the suggestion for flute, oboe, clarinet books. In addition to exposing you to a lot more notes written with ledger lines, you'll be playing lines that are not idiomatic for the trumpet. Trumpet music will appear a lot easier when you go back to it.

Alan
BobList
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I picked up a few flute beginner-intermediate song books like Disney favorites, stuff like that. Easy playing, but with quite a few ledger lines in there, and it's not like a drill, it's playing nice melodies up top. Playing tunes you might be familiar with, without the hassle of being a technical nightmare. It's a nice tool to have to get used to reading 3-4-5 lines above the staff, The Bergeron transcriptions come later on, lol
Benson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned to read ledger lines by playing the flute with excellent students. It just transferred over to trumpet.

Rubank Advanced for Saxophone is excellent for reading above the staff. So is Klosé for clarinet if you want the addition of the lower ledger lines (and into pedals). Flute books as well. Voxman, Rubank Advanced.

Go easy if you need to. Give yourself the opportunity to learn one thing at a time. If you're struggling with the reading up there, you don't want to be fighting with rhythm, articulations, arpeggios and such, just worry about the notes up there. We all need to rest as we play, use that time to say the notes, finger, and sing the parts. You'll be reading up there in no time!
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Book for acclimating to reading ledger lines? Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Does anyone publish a book specifically for developing reading above the staff - i.e. that incorporates ledger lines not just 8va notation?
Colin's Advanced Lip Flexibilities really helped me get used to reading up there...besides, they are great exercises!
popTbop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by popTbop on Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
supercow216

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

popTbop wrote:
Yeah.

Get flute music.

Learned this trick from the great Charlie Bertini

Years ago in college he did a master class for the jazz lab band. I was playing lead that year. He pulled out some intermediate level flute book and had me sight read the parts. Lots of ledger lines! It's good practice for getting acclimated to playing all them ledger lines.

Or Saxophone book.
Their low notes are usually around middle G (in staff) and go beyond the staves pretty fast

I accidentally bought a Bob Mintzer book for jazz etudes. It is for sax and I struggled quite a bit at first.

I am still learning!
popTbop

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by popTbop on Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine told me a while back that he used the Bugs Bower Eb book Back when he was in the Air Force Band. He was a great lead player BTW.

Pete
supercow216

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

popTbop wrote:
supercow216 wrote:

Or Saxophone book.
Their low notes are usually around middle G (in staff) and go beyond the staves pretty fast

I accidentally bought a Bob Mintzer book for jazz etudes. It is for sax and I struggled quite a bit at first.

I have his entire collection of play-along jazz etude books. They are a SOB to play on trumpet as written. But what amazing music. Mintzer is a musical monster!

I most like the Mintzer 12 Contemporary Jazz Etudes. If you can play those tunes and solos, you can play almost anything on the trumpet.

But I did go back and take a look. The highest notes I see are generally a high F/F# above the staff. I personally don't get to counting until that 5th ledger line, which isn't too often... thank goodness.

[img]https://imgshare.io/image/NXzmr4[/img]

haha, no no, I play one octave lower. They are tremedendously musical still.

I am still learning!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try sight reading Chopin.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: