• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Some Good News From Indy. Keep Medical.Stipend $500/week

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexwill
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Some Good News From Indy. Keep Medical.Stipend $500/week Reply with quote

Some POSITIVE NEWS for the musicians in the Indianapolis Symphony. They will continue to receive their medical insurance plus a $500 a week stipend through the end of this season. Management had furloughed the entire orchestra and was going to cut their insurance too. Complete details here:
https://www.indystar.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/09/08/indianapolis-symphony-musicians-reach-agreement-health-care/5745684002/
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$500 a week is not a livable wage. What a terrible time to be a professional musician. I suggest they look at other career possibilities.
JayV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
$500 a week is not a livable wage. What a terrible time to be a professional musician. I suggest they look at other career possibilities.

The sad part is that the vast majority of musicians in this country didn't make even that much before covid hit! $500/week = $26,000 year.

https://www.complex.com/music/2018/06/the-average-us-musician-makes-less-than-25000-a-year

Our art-form was already economically hollowed out long before covid.

Just imagine, long ago: thousands of mediocre players made an ok living playing vaudeville shows, weddings, dances, parties, circuses, restaurants, etc. Nearly all of that work is totally gone.

Today you have to win a days-long international competition to get a job in an orchestra paying anything near a living wage. Even gigs paying 4 figures per year (like several of mine) have absurdly competitive auditions. All of those people have had incomes of $0 since March by the way.

Honestly it's great that the ISO is willing to support their musicians like this, bravo to them!
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s something. But, I don’t know what unemployment insurance limits are in IN. But, there’s a chance their $500 stipend may make them ineligible to continue collecting unemployment.

In NY, the cut off is $504. If you make $504 or more, you don’t get unemployment.
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaTrompeta wrote:

When I gave up professional aspirations in the early 80s to go to Engineering school, there were lots of opportunities out there and it was a sad decision to make.

35+ years later I’m not sad for me, but for the talented players when a run of the mill Engineer makes more than 99% of these wonderful musicians.....talking about their regular salaries, not the $500 per week stipend.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days we need to have as many pots in the fire as possible. The world changes rapidly and nothing is very stable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: