• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Curry BBC in Wind Band??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wehip

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Curry BBC in Wind Band?? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried using a Curry BBC mouthpiece for cornet parts in symphonic wind band? I recently received one and although I had thought I was receiving a DC instead, I am finding the BBC to be a perfect match for my Yamaha short cornet. Everything just seems to work so well - tone, feel, endurance, range. I don’t have any wind band engagements coming up (still on pandemic hiatus, sadly), but I’m just wondering if anyone has had specific results using this mouthpiece for solo cornet parts, Alfred Reed parts, dare I say Sousa marches, etc. in band.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works well for you, why wouldn't it work in an orchestral setting? The only things I can think of are either lack of volume (for the fortissmo parts) or a radically different sound that makes it hard to blend in (for the non-solo bits). Do you feel either of those apply?
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a different tone color.
The issue would be how it compares to the others in your section and the color that the enemble wants outfront / projection.
Most "modern" bands/practices have lost the ear for the Cornet color, not to mention that most (I think) trumpet players don't want to play cornet, and the ones that do, don't truly apporach it with a cornet sound.
I've been playing in a Brass Band for a number of years, and I can tell you that I love my BBC, but is much more "British" is sound than what most of the other cornets in that band - I generally go back to the DC. to blend (I still sound more "cornetty" than most).
Mine is currently only used for solo work, or small ensemble (brass 4-tet, 5-tet).
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a wind band with people playing cornets on the cornet parts and trumpets on the trumpet parts, then yes, it would be great. If you’re trying to play a cornet with the BBC mouthpiece in a section of trumpets, then no, you won’t even be able to hear yourself.

I’ve played in a wind band with the proper instrumentation on cornet and trumpet parts exactly ONE time in my experience, and it was an eye opening experience. Those of us on the cornet parts were also members of a brass band, so the cornet/trumpet tone difference was fairly pronounced.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, what all these posts say.

I've dabbled in more cornet pieces back when I played with a brass septet that used brass band instrumentation. I had to work pretty hard to make the solo parts be heard with the more deeper, authentic-style pieces. My band mates complained that the melody lines were getting buried, so I usually played on a less cornet-like piece.

I do have a naturally mellow, cornet tone, even with a 3C, though. So, there you go...
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
If it works well for you, why wouldn't it work in an orchestral setting? The only things I can think of are either lack of volume (for the fortissmo parts) or a radically different sound that makes it hard to blend in (for the non-solo bits). Do you feel either of those apply?

Orchestral and wind band settings are somewhat different, but present the same challenge that Crazy Finn noted: being heard over the group. In orchestra there are typically only two individual cornet parts. In wind groups they usually are doubled.

Part of this is maybe not using traditional mouthpieces but the other part is not using British styled cornets. More orchestral, long style cornets are (supposed to be) designed to cut more than the short British style ones. This plus a complementary mouthpiece to achieve a timbre difference from the trumpets is mostly what you would need.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJCarter wrote:
Orchestral and wind band settings are somewhat different, but present the same challenge that Crazy Finn noted: being heard over the group. In orchestra there are typically only two individual cornet parts. In wind groups they usually are doubled.

Part of this is maybe not using traditional mouthpieces but the other part is not using British styled cornets. More orchestral, long style cornets are (supposed to be) designed to cut more than the short British style ones. This plus a complementary mouthpiece to achieve a timbre difference from the trumpets is mostly what you would need.

I think I understand. Is the mouthpiece nice enough that you'd think with enough practice, the OP may eventually be able to play loud enough?
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loudness has nothing to do with it, plus at some point that will distort the cornet sound and void the point of using cornet. Volume does not equal projection. That's why cornets fell out of favor to the trumpet. British style cornets with super deep funnel like mouthpieces are not meant to cut like say, a Bach long style cornet with a Bach no letter mouthpiece.
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it works, it works. If you have a group that keeps the more traditional instrumentation (using cornets, not doubling everything to form the largest band possible) the BBC could work pretty well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: