• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Transition Horn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
millem1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:16 am    Post subject: Transition Horn Reply with quote

Hi folks - looking for some feedback on my current situation regarding a new used horn. My son started middle school this year and has been playing a Yamaha 2335 that we got off of Craigslist locally for $175 two years ago. He's enjoying playing it and I can see him playing into high school, at which point I'd probably let him use my Bach Strad 37 that I had from college marching band.

His younger sister is about to start playing this year as well in 4th grade. She's been on the fence about playing trumpet but was excited when we said she could use her brother's horn and we'd get him an upgraded/intermediate horn.

So I'm looking for an intermediate horn for my son that I can use for a few years to bridge until I let him play my Bach. Have read many posts and while a lot of them say skip the intermediate, or the Yamaha will hold up for many years and then get a pro horn, I'm in a bit of a different situation because I have both a student and a pro horn, but I need another horn to transition my son for a few years.

Budget range is probably fairly wide, but I'll be looking for something less than $800 if I can find it. I'm looking for something that can help him continue to progress, so a bit more than a beginner horn, but I'm concerned that with only two years under his belt a used pro horn might be too much too soon.

I'm probably over thinking this and could look for another 2330/2335 - there are many out there, but thought I'd get some views from some of you here. Thanks for any advice!
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lightly used Carol would fit the bill and budget quite nicely.

I am not affiliated with ACB but something like this might be a starting point to talk with them about:
https://www.austincustombrass.biz/pre-owned-carolbrass-ctr-5000l-yst-trumpet-in-lacquer/

I am suspicious of horns labelled "intermediate". Too often they are gussied up student horns.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is to buy another student level horn for your son - but it should have easy to move functional 1st and 3rd valve slides for intonation, and it should also be capable of accepting a lyre for marching. Then later get a pro horn for your son if/when he is ready to treat is properly.

Have your son use the student horn for marching, and other possible 'rough' playing situations. The pro horn for use in 'safe' conditions.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha 6335 would be a good choice.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen Capri. Much better than many horns in that nebulous "Intermediate" category. Can take it into college and, if not a performance major, maybe through that, too.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:31 am; edited 2 times in total
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CarolBrass 5000-series horns are excellent advice as is a used Yamaha 6335. Both are good horns that will allow someone ready to move up to grow as a player, and they are under that Bach-like umbrella that will allow for a reasonably comfortable transition later. (A Getzen does not fit that last detail)

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also consider an Olds Ambassador (as they're cheap) but finding a good one can be a challenge. You'd really have to try them before you buy them.
tptjazzboy28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should start by mentioning I run the ACB Nashville shop, so my recommendation comes from the horns that we have found to be popular over the years!

My first thought would be the Manchester Brass Professional model, as this has a standard leadpipe configuration and a 37 style gold brass bell. These are excellent horns for less than $1000 that are easy to play, sound great and last for a very long time.

Another option to consider is the Manchester Brass RL-GB horns, as they are also professional horns with some minor variations to bell and leadpipe configuration. The RL-GB has a reversed leadpipe with a gold brass bell. In Bach terms this is most similar to a 72 light weight with a gold brass bell.

Both are really great options that come with a nice case and mouthpiece. Not many people are familiar with these, so I thought I'd at least mention them. Feel free to call the ACB shop at 615-393-6974 or email me at acbnashville@austincustombrass.com if you have any questions!

Best,
Chris

ACB- Nashville
PATRICK Mouthpieces
Belmont University
Nashville, TN

Last edited by tptjazzboy28 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:43 am; edited 2 times in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
(A Getzen does not fit that last detail)

Depends on how you are using it. I played a Getzen, as did some colleagues of mine (including a lead player with Kenton and Herman bands), in concert, jazz and pop bands as well as in a service band.

Additionally, as a player at Univ. of N. Texas, nobody ever said anything to me there about my choice of horns (Haynie).

If your primary goal is orchestral playing and serious, conservatory style classical playing, then a Bach-type instrument is probably what you would want. Otherwise, I can't imagine a Getzen handicapping you.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:
(A Getzen does not fit that last detail)

Depends on how you are using it. I played a Getzen, as did some colleagues of mine (including a lead player with Kenton and Herman bands), in concert, jazz and pop bands as well as in a service band.

Additionally, as a player at Univ. of N. Texas, nobody ever said anything to me there about my choice of horns (Haynie).

If your primary goal is orchestral playing and serious, conservatory style classical playing, then a Bach-type instrument is probably what you would want. Otherwise, I can't imagine a Getzen handicapping you.

I only meant that as saying it wont play with a similar feel and response to a Bach. The OP indicated moving to a Bach after this step. If Bach is the endpoint, pretty much all Getzens become a distraction as they play and respond differently than "classic Bach"-like horns. (they play like a Getzen)

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want an intermediate horn and one that would fit as a nice transition from the 2335, you might consider a YTR-4335. I played one for years. They have nice sound (gold brass bell) and are quite nice to play within their limitations. It could be kept as a backup/outdoor horn later. I find that it is a little tighter in the upper register, like most student horns I have played, but it is definitely a step up from the 2335. You can find them fairly cheep. If you want to go pro horn, someone else mentioned the YTR-6335. It is a good choice too, but it is more open than most student horns so it might be a bigger leap while still maintaining those Yamaha characteristics. They can also be found quite reasonably, too.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawnino wrote:
I think a lightly used Carol would fit the bill and budget quite nicely.

I am not affiliated with ACB but something like this might be a starting point to talk with them about:
https://www.austincustombrass.biz/pre-owned-carolbrass-ctr-5000l-yst-trumpet-in-lacquer/

I just took the time to look at this horn - Trent is offering a rare affordable opportunity for someone in exactly the OP's position. Overall, a really great and not at all student horn. Reversed construction will have only a slight impact on that "Bach-like" feel - or perhaps indicate an LR180 as a good choice down the road. A really good horn with the options to help someone decide what features they like in a horn.

Yes, there is corrosion starting, but only starting. It would make an excellent test case to see if the player is ready to provide the care and maintenance appropriate to the Bach to follow. Properly maintained, this is a great horn with a lot of life left in it. If not, better to find out about irresponsibility on this than a Bach Strad.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:

I only meant that as saying it wont play with a similar feel and response to a Bach. The OP indicated moving to a Bach after this step. If Bach is the endpoint, pretty much all Getzens become a distraction as they play and respond differently than "classic Bach"-like horns. (they play like a Getzen)

I played a Getzen Capri from 7th grade until Christmas of my junior year. The transition from that trumpet to the Bach Strad I received was easy, but I have to admit that in some ways and for quite a while, I still wanted my Getzen back. It was a great trumpet!

Since then, I grew with the Bach and long ago sold the Getzen. However, a couple of years ago I bought a 1966 Getzen Severinsen Eterna, and go seamlessly from my large bore 72 Bach Bb to the Severinsen without issue. I understand your premise, but also know that I've never had nor seen the struggle that you mention.

My suggestion would be to find a heavier, good used Bach Omega. The heavier ones often play as well as some Strads, and for sure are worth the investment. Were I to find one, I would definitely add it to my arsenal.

All my best,

Al
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Getzen 700 S Eterna trumpet Reply with quote

I too like Getzen trumpets. My recommendation would be a Getzen 700 S Eterna trumpet. Includes 1st slide thumb hook and 3rd slide adjustable ring. It is a intermediate /step up trumpet. Some regard it as a semi pro trumpet.
For professional horns I like the Getzen Renaissance trumpet. Which I am selling after the Getzen Canadian Brass trumpet comes. Can't at this time recommend that trumpet, since I haven't played it. Free blowing trumpets suit me.
As suggested the Getzen 590 is an excellent horn. Older models have a 1st slide trigger and
3rd slide adjustable ring.
Any of the three horns, depending on condition and price, music genre could be an excellent choice. Haven't had any problems with selling non Bach or non Yamaha trumpets.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: transition horn Reply with quote

Lots of good suggestions here. All those brands of trumpets mentioned make really good "intermediate" horns, if that is what you want to call them. Always liked Getzen horns and have played more of them,I guess. Many people play the 6335 Yamaha professionally and they are real nice. I haven't played a CarolBrass horn but they are most likely very good. Your young one will probably make the transition easily as kids do most of the time. I would also agree with Dr. Lilly. The U. gave me a Getzen Severinsen to play when I went to summer school in '71, yes, that's 1971 and I loved that darned thing. I considered it much better than my Conn 36b for ease of use and quality of build. If I were trying to play in an orchestra of old people I would probably seek out a Bach 37 but that darned Getzen was a gas to play. Sir, for encouraging another young person to start playing is the real gift. Opening up the world of music to someone is always a great gift. Transitions are part of life anyway.
Trumpetown

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot's of suggestions here, yet not a single person has mentioned this one...

King Silver Flair.

Why no love for the Silver Flair?

It's the perfect intermediate trumpet for him and it's in the price range.

Not to mention that it's silver and he'll have the coolest looking trumpet in class and probably the only one with a trigger.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpetown wrote:
Lot's of suggestions here, yet not a single person has mentioned this one...

King Silver Flair.

Why no love for the Silver Flair?

It's the perfect intermediate trumpet for him and it's in the price range.

Not to mention that it's silver and he'll have the coolest looking trumpet in class and probably the only one with a trigger.

I believe that the late great Uan Raisey played a Silver
Flair after decades on an Olds custom made horn. Not too shabby: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ0FyBGVdu8 1st call at MGM Studios not exactly "intermediate."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: