• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best cheap microphone for recording trumpet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tro.sy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Best cheap microphone for recording trumpet? Reply with quote

Hey guys, can you recommend me a good microphone to record trumpet?
i was about to buy shure sm57 but i noticed that it makes the sound a bit brighter than the natural sound and i dont like that.

THANKS

Last edited by Tro.sy on Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What is your budget?

Regards,
Aaron
Tro.sy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombahonker wrote:
Hi,

What is your budget?

Regards,
Aaron

between 100$ and 200$
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot depends on the acoustics of where you will be recording. For example, I do pretty well with a Zoom H2n ($169 on Amazon). However, I have a room that delivers acoustics with which it works well. That might not always be the case. If you are working with dead space, you might want something else.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
rjbirnbaum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to budget and other things mentioned, it depends on what equipment you are working with and what type of recording you are trying to do. For example, I have a Zoom H2n which is a portable digital recorder with builti-n microphones. It's great for taking to rehearsal or local concert, stick it somewhere in front of the band, and I get pretty good recordings. But I haven't been very pleased with the recordings I've made of my playing in the practice room. If you are looking for something that you can use directly with your computer to make home recordings, you are probably looking for a USB microphone. I have the Audio Technica AT2020usb which has worked well for home recording, virtual concert compilations, etc. It has a built-in headphone jack and monitor mix feature. If you already have a pre-amp and/or usb interface w/pre-amp, you might want to look at some of the low-end ribbon mics such as the MXL R144. I recently purchased this mic with a Behringer Q802usb, but then ended up adding a Cloudlifter which made things more expensive than I planned. In the long-run I'll probably be able to do more with this set-up, but for simple home recording (mostly I just want to self-evaluate my playing) I'm not sure that its any better than the AT2020usb which is less expensive and much easier to set-up. Hope this helps.
Tro.sy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for your replies!
I bought this mute tube:
https://www.mute-tube.com/de/mute-tube-shop/mute_tube_professional_komplett-set

And i will record inside it since i can plug a mic in it.
so the mic will be inside that mute tube. I want to record the music and then edited on my laptop. My budget is between 100 and 200 or maybe 250 if i found something very convincing.
I would like to find a mic in my budget that gives me the most natural sound i can get in that budget. I tried the Shure sm57. Its actually very ship and highly rated on the internet but for me i noticed that it makes the trumpet sounds very bright especially in the upper register :/
So what do you recommend me now, since you know all the details?
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a cheap chinese ribbon mic. About 100 bucks and they sound great on trumpet. Better than a really expensive condenser for instance. You will be pleased. There are dozens of brands. Any ribbon mic for about 100 to 150 will do fine.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are numerous good mics but a lot of it depends on the circumstances - the room, how far you are from the mic, what you do to it after. You don't have to spend a pile of money to get decent results.

Recording inside that thing? Dunno. The recording I've done is in a more conventional open air environment. I don't think any of the mics below would work with it.

Here are some examples. All have had some tweaking - EQ and reverb. All are going through a Studio Projects VTB-1 mic preamp. No phantom power in the case of the ribbon mic - ribbon mics and dynamic mics like your SM57 don't use voltage from the preamp, condensor mics require voltage from the preamp - aka "phantom power". I have no idea where the term comes from but that's what it's commonly called.

Trumpet part here was recorded with a Marshall MXL-990 Chinese condenser not expensive.

https://soundcloud.com/brassplyer/rebecca-sings-god-bless/s-k3csr

Same mic on flugel

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0zvAZXgfLgiOWkzWHJMckFLZUU/view?usp=sharing

Marshall MXL V63M condensor on flugel. Has a less prominent high end than the 990 also was a little farther away. Of the mics I have this is probably the one I'd go to to get the most subdued "flugely" sound.

https://soundcloud.com/brassplyer-1/auld-lang-syne/s-ntxoI

CAD E-100 condensor which is a different configuration of mic, as you can hear it imparts a different sheen to the sound. MXL990 on the vocal.

https://soundcloud.com/brassplyer/the-christmas-song/s-vAQB4

Marshall MXL R40 ribbon mic on flugel. It's the low end of the ribbon mic spectrum but it does a decent job.

https://soundcloud.com/brassplyer-1/autumn-leaves-on-flugelhorn/s-jdWhJ
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel

Last edited by Robert P on Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent sound, Robert. Thanks very much for sharing.
I'm thinking about mics for a trumpet as well, and following this thread.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words - and it's a great saying. In this instance, there's NOTHING like a snip of sound to listen to, especially when discussing different mics. Again, thanks for posting!
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonathanM wrote:
Excellent sound, Robert. Thanks very much for sharing.
I'm thinking about mics for a trumpet as well, and following this thread.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words - and it's a great saying. In this instance, there's NOTHING like a snip of sound to listen to, especially when discussing different mics. Again, thanks for posting!

Glad you enjoyed them.

If you get into mics, there's also the world of modding them - there are people who will "hot rod" a Chinese cheapie with upgraded components that's supposed to put them into a different league. But even in stock form many will perform very well.

Careful - collecting mics can be like collecting horns!
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
supercow216

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Best cheap microphone for recording trumpet? Reply with quote

Tro.sy wrote:
Hey guys, can you recommend me a good microphone to record trumpet?
i was about to buy shure sm57 but i noticed that it makes the sound a bit brighter than the natural sound and i dont like that.

THANKS

I think sm57 is very commonly used for recording horns.
Unlike recording guitars or voice, you can stay do quite well with just dynamic mic.

Also note that what you hear behind the horn is different from what is in front (for audiance, and for the mic). Probably you can have someone compare the sound directly and through recording to see the differences.

I would advocate having a digital filter over buying new mic.

I am still learning!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: