• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Developing face quivers/tremors over the years

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stradbrother
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Developing face quivers/tremors over the years Reply with quote

Hey TH

So I am a very regular player who plays and teaches for a living. One thing I have noticed now that I'm in my mid-20s is that my face is developing face quivers.

I have a hard time keeping pitch on sustained notes now. I'll attack, and instead of having my notes centered right away, My face will have a bunch of little ticks or quivers, putting bumps in my sound.

If I'm playing a solo, its no problem. With vibrato and notes changing, I don't notice it happening, just when I'm sustaining.

It's not nerves, this happens when I'm relaxed and alone.

It stinks because when I went to a doctor for a physical, they were pretty relaxed about it.

"Oh yeah, that's just getting older for ya"

Well, its affecting what I do.

Especially with looking to start my graduate studies on the horn, I can't be having these little mini ticks.

Anyone ever struggle with this? Never been a problem with me before this calendar year, and I'm one to regularly warmup with long tones, slurs, scales, etc. everyday.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone ever struggle with this?

Yes

Quote:
I'm one to regularly warmup with long tones, slurs, scales, etc. everyday.

That is likely part of the problem. Your "warmup".

Your baseline effort is creeping up on you and your muscles are over-stimulated, and the nerves aren't calm and are "over-firing" so to speak.

I was able to overcome this problem with my approach.

First of all, if you fight it, it will not get better. You actually have to "let it happen" under certain conditions.

Contact me in a private message.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes get these as well, mostly my left eyelid. I mentioned this to a chiropractic physician I go to, he's also a year away from a naturopathic degree. He suggested that my electrolyte and magnesium levels might be low. I use an electrolyte drink that contains magnesium and also a magnesium supplement. The problem hasn't disappeared completely but it's diminished significantly.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a problem with this, but then I'm 65. I find that it is drastically reduced if I don't have any caffeine.
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All
I'm just shy of seventy. From dental changes and the wear and tear of living I have developed an intermittent quaver in my sound. I would get frustrated and try to just bulldoze my way through it. I decided to try a different approach and took a more detached view of the problem by simply observing that the quaver was present that day. No judgment, no panic just awareness and relaxation into mental or physical adjustment. By relaxing into the problem I could get past the "Geez, I suck" that created tensions that would make things worse. The concept is better explained in the "Inner Game of Tennis or Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". Best wishes in resolving your challenge.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uberopa wrote:
No judgment, no panic just awareness and relaxation into mental or physical adjustment. By relaxing into the problem I could get past the "Geez, I suck" that created tensions that would make things worse.

I am 84, 5 years into a comeback after an extremely long hiatus, and have experienced a great deal of challenges to my playing, but I take the same approach to the problem as Uberopa and I manage to keep on playing well enough to keep myself, and my bandmates, happy.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isometric tension
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: