• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Happy Birthday Boss!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Happy Birthday Boss! Reply with quote

Happy Birthday Maynard!!!
The Boss would've been 92 today!!

keith
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: happy birthday, boss! Reply with quote

"Give it one"
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wouldn't be a very good Canadian if I didn't remember Canada's greatest trumpet player so: Happy Birthday Maynard, and I hope you are celebrating it with some of those other great trumpet players that are up there with you.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Birthday Boss! Reply with quote

khedger wrote:

keith

and for those who aren't aware....
https://youtu.be/rt2xdXswEms
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard this one story from a friend that had an aunt who recalled being at the Stanley theater in 1950 to hear Stan Kenton.. and saw Maynard at one point on his back playing Dbl C's.

Last edited by rothman on Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:50 am; edited 3 times in total
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my private teachers relayed a story about Maynard. This was when Maynard was with Jimmy Dorsey. The Dorsey band was playing some event at Yale, it may have been a prom. My teacher was playing in what he called a relief band that played when the Dorsey Band was on breaks. First thing he said was Maynard was simply unreal. He also said he was sure Maynard would "blow his lip out" by the time he was 30. He didn't! Guys from my teachers era rarely played much over a high E or F. Here was this kid, probably 140 pounds soaking wet playing well over an octave higher with incredible power. Maynard's power was the thing that impressed me more than his range. Note for note, Cat Anderson had more range, but I always thought Maynard's sound was bigger. I got to hear The Cat in person as well, probably 2-3 months after my first time hearing Maynard live. Cat effortlessly played well over double C, probably a few triple C's. Dogs in the next town must have been howling!
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Maynard's band several times during the 70s. I was absolutely astounded by his playing and his band's playing every time out. As a sophomore in high school, the most impressive thing I ever saw was during a Maynard clinic. Maynard announced that the band was going to play an old chart that hadn't been in the book for 20 years, meaning nobody on stage, other than Maynard, had seen or heard the arrangement. The band read it down perfectly and just played the he** out of it. I was totally amazed. Of course, later with a lot more experience and time spent playing with other great players I wouldn't have QUITE so amazed, but it was impressive nonetheless......I never saw him without a great band....

keith
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Happy Birthday Boss! Reply with quote

Drove over to watch Maynard in concert at a h.s. in south central Minnesota in the mid seventies. I took three h.s. kids along with me, one being the band director's son who was a great young trombone player. Well, we got situated on the gym floor right in front of the band and the concert started. We were all wide eyed as heck. At one point Maynard had a solo and he blew with such intensity that spit flew out the end of the horn. I had never seen this. The young trombone player grabbed me by the arm like he got scared at a horror movie and said "did you see that?" Yep, the power is what I remember from seeing him a couple times. Great showman, too.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Happy Birthday Boss! Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
Drove over to watch Maynard in concert at a h.s. in south central Minnesota in the mid seventies. I took three h.s. kids along with me, one being the band director's son who was a great young trombone player. Well, we got situated on the gym floor right in front of the band and the concert started. We were all wide eyed as heck. At one point Maynard had a solo and he blew with such intensity that spit flew out the end of the horn. I had never seen this. The young trombone player grabbed me by the arm like he got scared at a horror movie and said "did you see that?" Yep, the power is what I remember from seeing him a couple times. Great showman, too.

Definitely a great showman, a rock star! I always thought that Maynard was like a test pilot on trumpet. He pushed the boundaries every night.
I remember the last time I saw him. The band was at the Ridgefield Playhouse in Ridgefield, Conn. This was a few months before he passed. One of my oldest friends was with us and we had been to more Maynard shows together than I could count. He walked out and looked great, he had lost a lot of weight. He stepped up to the mic and and blew the roof off on Blue Birdland. We looked at each other and Art said, he's on!!!! We were 50 at the time and acted like giddy teenagers the whole night. He played a lot and really sounded better than he had in years.
It was Patrick Hession's birthday and Maynard led the entire crowd in singing Happy Birthday to Pat. No one in that place had more fun that night than Maynard.
Over the years I had the chance to meet him several times and he was always a bit loopy but always gracious.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit off topic, but still relates (it's all in the family). The first time I got involved in jazz was in 9th grade in 1972. I heard MF Horn II in the bandroom and it wrecked me. The next week the band director asked me to play in stage band. A couple of weeks later he pulled me aside and said "There's a guy coming to do a concert in a couple of weeks named Stan Kenton. If you can go, you should...."
A couple of weeks later I'm at a local HS auditorium and the Kenton band is about to hit. They are touring behind the "7.5 on the Richter Scale" album. The lead trumpet player is Mike Vax. I know nothing about this band or this music.
The lights go down and the band starts up. By the end of that concert my brain was pudding. I'd never heard or imagined anything like that. The band was incredibly dynamic, modern, and just amazing. That concert utterly changed my whole conception about what music is and can be.

keith
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: happy birthday, boss! Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
"Give it one"
That's what it says on my license plate.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: happy birthday, boss! Reply with quote

Wondering if Laura Nyro influenced Give it one..?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKZvx7_4ohA
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Happy Birthday Boss! Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
khedger wrote:

keith

Though I know what the taste is of an obvious majority of the members here: I really don't know what I have to think of this kind of sounds, is it serious? Is it a parody? Do you really like this? For me a mystery.
It made me think: what's the opposite of this? How can I balance this? I came to this though it is for solo piano:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTEFKFiXSx4&ab_channel=JoelHochberg
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regards to the John Cage piece mentioned earlier. A guy I taught with was a piano/music ed major at one of the state schools. There was a piano performance major from my neighborhood who was also at that school and they were friendly. He was/is an excellent musician but really impressed with himself, and I mean really impressed with himself. According to my friend this character did the Cage piece as part of his senior recital. Last I heard he was teaching piano to little kids at some neighborhood music school in California.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Happy Birthday Boss! Reply with quote

delano wrote:
khedger wrote:
khedger wrote:

keith

Though I know what the taste is of an obvious majority of the members here: I really don't know what I have to think of this kind of sounds, is it serious? Is it a parody? Do you really like this? For me a mystery.
It made me think: what's the opposite of this? How can I balance this? I came to this though it is for solo piano:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTEFKFiXSx4&ab_channel=JoelHochberg

I'm actually a big Cage fan and of the avante garde in general (as was Maynard btw). It doesn't have to be one or the other. The clip of Maynard was a particularly brash outing, but it is, to me, awe inspiring in its precision, excitement and the instrumentalism displayed. However, I totally understand that screaming Maynard stuff is not everybody's cup of tea.

keith
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, 4,33" was a bit of a joke. I am not bashing MF, great player and great guy. But there is a certain line in this kind of music that makes the difference between high speed, very difficult and high blowing but still music and the same three but now for 95% show-off and only 5% music. I think that line is crossed on the wrong side in this clip. Is that bad?
Let's see, Armstrong made a career in the show business in the early thirties with a big orchestra, was billed as the greatest trumpet player on earth and played a hundred of very loud and broad high C's (and higher) at a stretch.
Was this better music than the Hot Five's and the Hot Seven's?
Certainly not and he ruined his chops with it. My point of view: I feel sorry for both Armstrong and MF that they obviously had to choose for a business model like that to keep the stove burning (is that English, it's a Dutch expression). That's the heart of my objection. And hey, to be straight, the Give it One clip has a heavy metal drive with a speedy, agitated and so a very nervous and unpleasant feeling. (IMO!).
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Happy Birthday Boss! Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
khedger wrote:

keith

I was introduced to MF in the mid 70's while in high school. Seeing as he came to southern California fairly regularly I saw him quite a bit back then. I'll never forget the first time I heard him kick this tune at that tempo. Good God was it exhilarating. Left me breathless. Now that I think of it, I probably heard it at that tempo before I ever heard the original album version. For a while, I found it hard to like the tune as such a leisurely tempo.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: