• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

spray can lacquer for brass finish touchups

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: spray can lacquer for brass finish touchups Reply with quote

Recently I've acquired some horns that have small areas of lacquer loss. I was thinking of possibly touching up the lacquer with one of the spray can lacquer products out there. I noticed many different makes of spray lacquer and I'd be curious if any techs out there might have a favorite brand/type that can be used for this purpose. I've seen products out there by Mohawk, Krylon, Allied, and others. Any advice or ideas would be appreciated. I have two trumpets at the moment that could use a little touch up in certain areas. One is a Bach and the other is a Conn. The lacquer appears to be clear (untinted) on both horns.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For small 'contact area' protection. I use clear 'lens repair tape' from auto parts store. It is quite thick and durable, and easy to cut to shape.
Using 'rattle can' spray lacquer might be possible, but is unlikely to give a durable and good appearance.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Repair Reply with quote

Jay,
Thanks for the tip.
Getzen 4 B short shank mouthpiece
Yamaha 11 e short shank mouthpiece
Vincent Bach 5 B short shank mouthpiece
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to use clear nail polish to cover the bare spots and reinforce/protect the existing lacquer.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Scratches Reply with quote

On the trumpet, I am selling there are scratches on the 3rd slide, tuning slide and 3rd valve block.
Getzen 4 B short shank mouthpiece
Yamaha 11 e short shank mouthpiece
Vincent Bach 5 B short shank mouthpiece
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I worked in the music shop, the repair techs would sometimes spot spray a part they had worked on.

Actually, I think my buddy spot lacquered the fixed 3rd valve ring that he put on for me. I'd say it lasted a few weeks at most, so don't get your hopes up.

Of course, several of my horns, rather than have spots of missing lacquer, only have some spots with lacquer. There's enough on there were it doesn't feel like holding my raw brass horns, so that's good enough for me.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was gonna spray with a rattle can I would buy a can of Nikolas from Ferrees. https://onedrive.live.com/View.aspx?resid=28768D859848DFCB!31697&authkey=!ABl7DsaggTRNGFs

Spraying lacquer really requires experience. You can make a mess quickly. I use some newspaper and tape to shield the area you don't want lacquered. Study spray techniques on Youtube or some similar venue.

I have had great luck with the Nikolas lacquer. I was given a Leblanc Paris large bore trumpet that was run over by a motorcycle. After completely repairing it I sprayed it with the Nikolas. I had it for decades after that. The lacquer developed a nice patina.

If you don't prepare the surface correctly the lacquer will not last long.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Thanks! I will try the Nikolas. I just want to spot treat some areas where a prior brace repair was done by a previous owner. I fully understand the need for proper surface prep and masking of areas that we don't want to treat. Good idea to check youtube. Cheers, Roy
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roynj wrote:
Mike,
Thanks! I will try the Nikolas. I just want to spot treat some areas where a prior brace repair was done by a previous owner. I fully understand the need for proper surface prep and masking of areas that we don't want to treat. Good idea to check youtube. Cheers, Roy

Be sure to degrease the area. You can use a lacquer thinner (in a well ventilated area). If the original lacquer is darkened, you can darken the work area by gently brushing it with a torch flame to match, allow to cool and then spray.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done several whole horns with the nikolas cans. And it lasts a good long time it you do it right and maintain it right.
1) clean and degrease. I used to use lacquer thinner, but now I use alcohol and it’s seems to be better. Before that clean real good with dawn detergent. If it is a brushed finish I use something like soft scrub and that really cleans it. You have to rinse it really good after that though and I don’t get that inside anything.. I put it on a cloth and wipe the main surface areas.

2) the temperature of the air needs to be cool to get it flow and look nice. Like 70 or lower. The temperature of the cans needs to be higher, like 110 degrees. So I put in the sun, or in a pot of hot tap water. They spray great that way.

3) put it on pretty thick. Watch the video of Dominic calichio. Spray is big sweeps about a foot from the surface. Keep that distance consistent. After about 10 seconds it’s ok to hit the same area again with a sweep. Hit from all angles, which means that a lot of it will be hit maybe 5 times. If it runs, start over:) it does not really want to run though. It is pretty easy to get the hang of it.

4) this is big: Avoid putting it in WATER. Wipe off water spots every time. IT does not stand up to water as well as factory lacquer. If you do that it will last years and look good.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
1) clean and degrease. I used to use lacquer thinner, but now I use alcohol and it’s seems to be better. ...

-------------------------
Don't use RUBBING ALCOHOL (it contains oils), use isopropyl alcohol - no scents, or other ingredients except water. And wear new nitrile gloves to prevent touching the horn with bare flesh.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: