• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CarolBrass "slippery" quality?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: CarolBrass "slippery" quality? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm thinking about ordering a CarolBrass cornet. But I've been doing a lot of research first.

One of the things I see is a large number of people really happy with their CarolBrass instruments. That's good!

But, by watching a lot of videos (including trumpet videos), I've noticed sort of a pattern in the way that most CarolBrass horns play. There is something with the connectivity between notes, specially slurs, that seem very slippery -- as opposed to a Bach Stad or a Yamaha Xeno, that almost articulate for you.

I also noticed that in all the CarolBrass cornet videos I could find. The connectivity between notes don't seem very precise as well. Sort of a cornet sound but with the agility and precision of a flugelhorn...

Have you noticed that?

Or is it just the videos I've watched and maybe the mouthpiece selection of the players on these videos...?

Thanks
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CarolBrass C cornet and it seems to slot well for me.

HTH

Ben
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a CarolBrass pocket trumpet (big bell) and never noticed anything wrong. That's compared, at the time, to a Connstellation, Schilke, and Committee. BTW, all three horns had precision valve adjustments. Carol did not.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that something is wrong with these instruments...

...and, of course, my perception is based strictly on the videos I've watched, but sometimes it feels like the results you get when you use valves springs that are softer than they should be.

How do the valves fell under your fingertips?
Do you get a firm bounce up?
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the videos I've seen have been jazz/pop type recordings. It would be interesting to see someone play a classical piece. Could playing style account for the sound?
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a lightweight Carol at one time (can’t remember the model, it was the one Chris LaBarbera recommended) and I don’t remember the slotting being especially loose or tight. Really good horn with exceptional valves.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure I understand what is being asked. In the original post I pagree with the responders that are responding as if the question was about slotting. I personally don’t believe I could hear whether a horn has loose slots or not. Especially from a recording.

So I initially doubted my understanding.

Then in the OP’s second post he brings up soft springs and bounce and now I am pretty sure I am not understanding.

I do see the OP is from Brazil so it may be normal issues in communicating between different countries.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abundrefo wrote:

...and, of course, my perception is based strictly on the videos I've watched, but sometimes it feels like the results you get when you use valves springs that are softer than they should be.

My 3880 Carol Brass cornet in its original factory condition had rather hard springs. I replaced them with softer Carol Brass springs that I had ordered from Doug Teeter. This did not cause any extra slurring but improved the playing comfort.
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I am not sure I understand what is being asked. In the original post I pagree with the responders that are responding as if the question was about slotting. I personally don’t believe I could hear whether a horn has loose slots or not. Especially from a recording.

So I initially doubted my understanding.

Then in the OP’s second post he brings up soft springs and bounce and now I am pretty sure I am not understanding.

I do see the OP is from Brazil so it may be normal issues in communicating between different countries.

My question is about one aspect of the horn design that can make each note either clear or veiled when you are fingering while slurring notes (specially fast chromatic passages). And maybe there is a name for this that I haven't learned yet.

That being said, the spring setup that is chosen to a specific instrument can be one of the factors that contribute to achieving one effect or the other. I recently replaced the original valve springs in my Schilke flugelhorn for a random softer set of springs and the results were similar (can't say it's the same) to what I described at the beginning of this thread. ...and I switched back to the original springs right after that. But... I'm not saying that the spring set is the reason for what I noticed in the CarolBrass videos. I just thought that the possibility of CarolBrass using a softer set of valve springs could be one of many possible explanations.

And that is the connection between both of my previous posts in this thread.

But again, I'm talking about my perception of what I'm hearing in videos that are available online. And that doesn't mean much, in terms of analysing how a horn really plays. But some of you actually have a CarolBrass horn at home and I'm more interested in hearing what you have to say.
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

etc-etc wrote:
abundrefo wrote:

My 3880 Carol Brass cornet in its original factory condition had rather hard springs. I replaced them with softer Carol Brass springs that I had ordered from Doug Teeter. This did not cause any extra slurring but improved the playing comfort.

Thank you for this info.
I usually like harder springs. I didn't know that about the 3880. I'm happy to know that now.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I constantly work on creating a range of playing effects that include note bending and glissading, and yes you can glissade a cornet or a trumpet without touching the valves at all but it is very difficult to cultivate the skill and it takes a lot of practice. Valving makes it far easier.

It is entirely embouchure strength, player ability, and lipping ability that allows us to use and control this tone effect.

It is possible to manipulate the articulation of an instrument and impose these effects on any instrument with enough practice. Some instruments are more flexible and more responsive than others however.

The player is the most influential part or the player / mouthpiece / instrument setup in valving bending and glissading.

I find Cornets to be more responsive than trumpets and it does not surprise me that flugels are more slippery than either trumpet or cornet.

The player influences the horn enormously and the strength of the horn to slot can be overcome by lipping and valving with enough practice.

Lipping bending and glissading is the stock in trade in the box of tricks of a blues musician.

I perform sliding and bending notes effects pretty much in almost all the pieces I perform and one thing I can guarantee is that you cannot draw any conclusions about the flexibility of an instrument by watching a musician perform on it.

You do not know the skills and ability of the player.

Each player should be in control of the horn and the skill and strength of the players embouchure is the dominant factor in note bending.

We can play a relaxed embouchure and rely upon the instrument to slot for us or we can use a stronger embouchure and take control of the instrument in its slotting.

I recall well a surprising moment playing on a jazz instrument right after successfully practicing some note bending on a strongly slotting instrument.

I was shocked to find the slotting on the jazz instrument was all over the place all the notes were sliding around. I had to change my embouchure and take control of the slots and then the problem disappeared.

It is the player you were watching not the instrument.

The only way forward for you here is to play test the instrument before you purchase. You will never know if it suits your playing style until you play it.
Selmer Invicta Trumpet
Yamaha YCR 2330II Cornet
Selmer Student Trumpet
Bohland and Fuchs peashooter Trumpet
Boosey and Hawkes Regent Cornet
Lark M4045 Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: