• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What can be done about my Calicchio? Help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tajmozach1898

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: What can be done about my Calicchio? Help! Reply with quote

Okay, so I had this horn on a gig a while back. I put it on a stand, and one of the other guys in the back row knocked it over while just being careless. The fall left a crack in the bell about 2 inches long. During repair (which has been functionally excellent) the gold plate was removed in spots.

Would it be possible to remove the remaining gold plate off the bell, leaving it silver plated?

I have pictures of the horn, I just can't figure out how to get the pictures into the post.

Thanks!
Kanstul 920 Custom Class
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy who damaged your horn has not completed paying for the repair. Spot gold plating can be done... get them to pay to return your horn to the condition it was in before they were goofing off.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: What can be done Reply with quote

Hello,
Sorru about your Calicchio... I noticed that you also have a Schilke. I have a few Schilkes and have owned two Calicchios in the past. If you mean crack as in crack, not crease, I would contact John Duda and get a new bell. Soldering up two inches on a bell would not do resonance any good. Creases can be ironed out, and depending on bell or thickness of the bell, could be acceptable. If you have a 1S bell on a later serial number..over #2600, I would get a new bell.
tajmozach1898

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: What can be done Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello,
Sorru about your Calicchio... I noticed that you also have a Schilke. I have a few Schilkes and have owned two Calicchios in the past. If you mean crack as in crack, not crease, I would contact John Duda and get a new bell. Soldering up two inches on a bell would not do resonance any good. Creases can be ironed out, and depending on bell or thickness of the bell, could be acceptable. If you have a 1S bell on a later serial number..over #2600, I would get a new bell.

That's not a bad idea. The serial is in the 50XX range.
Kanstul 920 Custom Class
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What can be done Reply with quote

tajmozach1898 wrote:
Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello,

That's not a bad idea. The serial is in the 50XX range.

FWIW Duda is working for BAC now. I've had a lead pipe on order for a LONG time. It could take a while. BTW, I think silver will plate right over gold. If it still plays great, leave it alone.
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news about your horn. My 1SZ2 is #5019. I would suggest sending yours to Mike Paulson at BrassMasters in Seattle. He made my new to me horn playable and an excellent horn. He can do a cleaning and laser valve alignment and check the bell and recommend any need for plating. Very reasonable rates too.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: What can be done about my Calicchio? Help! Reply with quote

tajmozach1898 wrote:
Okay, so I had this horn on a gig a while back. I put it on a stand, and one of the other guys in the back row knocked it over while just being careless. The fall left a crack in the bell about 2 inches long. During repair (which has been functionally excellent) the gold plate was removed in spots.

Would it be possible to remove the remaining gold plate off the bell, leaving it silver plated?

Thanks!

Stripping plating will go to the brass. You'd be lucky if only the gold was stripped. I wouldn't change the bell if you like the way the horn plays.
The trumpet could be cleaned up and silver plated - gold is really expensive now.
https://yourbrass.com/
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is totally not helpful, but that’s why I NEVER leave a horn on a stand unattended. I’ve had the same thing happen twice....MANY years ago, I guess I didn’t learn after the first time, but I did the second time. 🙄

Brad
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
This is totally not helpful, but that’s why I NEVER leave a horn on a stand unattended. I’ve had the same thing happen twice....MANY years ago, I guess I didn’t learn after the first time, but I did the second time. 🙄

Brad

Like Brad361, I learned that lesson the hard way when I was in college decades ago. Trombone player knocked it over and put a crease in the bell. Like me, he was a college student and had no money. Horn was not the same after the first repair (I borrowed the $$$ from my Father-In-Law) but I played it anyway because of limited funds. I finally got a great repair about 25 years ago after I could afford it (even more $$$). Never forgot it though. When my horn(s) are not in my immediate control, it (they) are in a case, even at home.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Robert Rizzo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is wrong with 1s bells after serial no. 2600? Why are the newer ones preferred? Can you describe how 1s bells have changed from, a horn built by Dominic; built before serial no. 2600; built after 2600; a Duda built Calicchio? I’ve only played Calicchios mostly from the late 90s/2000s & 1 from the Tulsa era. The Tulsa Calicchio played a lot different from the late 90s horns. To my memory mostly due to the lead pipe. The Calicchio I’m playing now was built in 2000, the 2 lead pipe plays very open on it, as if the slotting/resistance of the horn is at the bell. The Duda 2 lead pipe I played almost seemed like a tweaked Bach 25 pipe. It was beautiful, but on that horn the resistance/slotting was more at the front end of the horn. The main differences I’ve found with 1s bells is the amount of character in the sound from horn to horn. How do they vary, weight, bell bow, rim, etc...?
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my horn replated and was told that the lead pipe was rotten. The tech told me that he knew the similar Bach pipe and replaced it. I found that the horn acted very oddly when I got it back. The initial attack had to be quite aggressive to initiate the sound. Then the slots were uneven and the horn was very squirrelly. I sent it to Brass Masters Mike Paulson. He told me that I needed a real Calicchio pipe. He tasked me with finding a replacement as he had none in stock. Fortunately I had one that I found here in the marketplace and I sent it to him. When the horn came back I was astonished. Very playable with a nice even scale and the sound especially in the low register was huge.
In my experience the correct leadpipe is essential and a valve alignment helped tremendously.
My experience FWIW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: