• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

AR Resonance cup materials question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: AR Resonance cup materials question Reply with quote

Does anyone here have any experience with AR Resonance stainless steel mouthpiece cups? There's little information about steel mouthpieces in general and the small bits I've found so far seem to contradict eachother. Does steel make your sound darker or brighter?
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I understand from talking to others is that in increases projection. Sounds like it could be good for big band or rock stuff.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played one for a while...

There's a more direct feel to the thing (which I quite liked) and the perception of sound from my end was different.

I can't say anyone else remarked on having noticed it, but that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a difference.

Unfortunately like many such things, without trying for yourself you'll never really know - if there's one thing I've learned about gear over the years it's that there's only so much we can do to intellectualize that kind of perceptual response and sensation - until you try, you never truly know.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your responses so far. The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking to get a flugelhorn/flumpet style mouthpiece and from the description on the AR website, steel could potentially amplify that effect.

TKSop wrote:
I played one for a while...

There's a more direct feel to the thing (which I quite liked) and the perception of sound from my end was different.

I can't say anyone else remarked on having noticed it, but that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a difference.

On the AR site they mention it has a darker sound and a more fuzzy articulation. Did you notice any of that?

TKSop wrote:
Unfortunately like many such things, without trying for yourself you'll never really know - if there's one thing I've learned about gear over the years it's that there's only so much we can do to intellectualize that kind of perceptual response and sensation - until you try, you never truly know.

You're right of course. Normally, I'm used to trying every mouthpiece before buying it but in this case I cannot. And while the AR mouthpieces I currently own have been worth every penny, they're still quite costly so I cannot just order 10 variations and pick the best one. The owner of AR has been quite helpful in supplying information and advice, but I'd like some additional opinions as well.
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From personal experience, the only thing it really effected was the 'feel' on my face. Apart from that, no plating which means it'll stay the same for a VERY long time (whereas silver and gold plating will wear over time). Also means it'll be much more accurate in terms of what you actually want (without microns of copper, silver, and then gold on top).

The sheer mass of material in a mouthpiece would essentially limit the overall difference in tone than cup shape, depth, throat size. Backbore material makes a bigger difference in my experience and opinion.
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, another thing to mention; Antonio from AR is the best. I love that guy!
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BraeGrimes wrote:
From personal experience, the only thing it really effected was the 'feel' on my face. Apart from that, no plating which means it'll stay the same for a VERY long time (whereas silver and gold plating will wear over time). Also means it'll be much more accurate in terms of what you actually want (without microns of copper, silver, and then gold on top).

The sheer mass of material in a mouthpiece would essentially limit the overall difference in tone than cup shape, depth, throat size. Backbore material makes a bigger difference in my experience and opinion.

Thanks, that's rather helpful. I did notice a big difference in sound between the 2 AR mouthpieces I already own, but given that they also have different shapes and backbores, it's hard to pin down whether that's due to the material.

BraeGrimes wrote:
Sorry, another thing to mention; Antonio from AR is the best. I love that guy!

He really is. I've e-mailed with him about this and his advice was to also use a bigger throat/backbore. I was only looking for a cup when I started out but I may end up going for a full mouthpiece (maybe with a different backbore material as well) once my budget allows it. It'll be worth it in the end though, I have no doubt of that!
cgooding
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used an AR stainless top for several years. I find it has a slightly darker tone. It's very comfortable and warms up quickly. It is slicker than silver plate, similar to gold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: