• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Selmer Styratone Mutes / Wah-Wa Du All

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoshRzepka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Selmer Styratone Mutes / Wah-Wa Du All Reply with quote

Here's this week's #mutemonday!

Link

Denis Wick Artist
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Great video Reply with quote

Thanks for putting this together. I must admit this was the first one I've seen so I do apologize for that...it won't be the last for sure.

When I joined Harry James in 1964 I was given a set of Humes and Berg mutes to use as Harry felt they were the best for his band. Of course the cup is the "gold standard" for years but the Harmon style was my first experience with these having been an Emo user for some time. At first I thought it was just too heavy and the sound was so much different from what I was used to, but in the section they produced a lot of sound and I didn't have to blow nearly as hard to be heard. Harry sounded fantastic when he was using his tight in the mike but then again, when didn't Harry sound fantastic?

All in all your video is a wonderful help for trumpet players and you sound pretty darn good yourself.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
JoshRzepka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Great video Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
Thanks for putting this together. I must admit this was the first one I've seen so I do apologize for that...it won't be the last for sure.

When I joined Harry James in 1964 I was given a set of Humes and Berg mutes to use as Harry felt they were the best for his band. Of course the cup is the "gold standard" for years but the Harmon style was my first experience with these having been an Emo user for some time. At first I thought it was just too heavy and the sound was so much different from what I was used to, but in the section they produced a lot of sound and I didn't have to blow nearly as hard to be heard. Harry sounded fantastic when he was using his tight in the mike but then again, when didn't Harry sound fantastic?

All in all your video is a wonderful help for trumpet players and you sound pretty darn good yourself.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

Thanks, Tony!

That's some great info, I appreciate you sharing all of that. Yeah, that mute is excellent in a section, I wonder why more people don't use them. How long did you play with Harry James? That must have been a thrill.
Denis Wick Artist
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Great video Reply with quote

JoshRzepka wrote:

That's some great info, I appreciate you sharing all of that. Yeah, that mute is excellent in a section, I wonder why more people don't use them. How long did you play with Harry James? That must have been a thrill.

Hi Josh, I enjoy your videos.

I have met quite a few people who are unaware that H&B makes metal mutes. Then again, most of my musical acquaintances are casual players like me.
JoshRzepka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Great video Reply with quote

Didymus wrote:
JoshRzepka wrote:

Hi Josh, I enjoy your videos.

I have met quite a few people who are unaware that H&B makes metal mutes. Then again, most of my musical acquaintances are casual players like me.

Thanks!

Well, there are a LOT of mutes out there, and most music stores only carry a very small selection considering what's out there. Also, most of the major mute companies out there have pretty awful websites ... not a lot of info, out of date, or non-functional.

So it's no surprise that most people are un-aware of what's out there.

That's a lot of the motivation for this series, I'm trying to let people know what's out there, and what everything is all about and sounds like.
Denis Wick Artist
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Great video Reply with quote

JoshRzepka wrote:

Well, there are a LOT of mutes out there, and most music stores only carry a very small selection considering what's out there. Also, most of the major mute companies out there have pretty awful websites ... not a lot of info, out of date, or non-functional.

So it's no surprise that most people are un-aware of what's out there.

That's a lot of the motivation for this series, I'm trying to let people know what's out there, and what everything is all about and sounds like.

LOL, for many years the H&B website was awful beyond belief. It's not much better now.

One time I showed up to band practice with an H&B Symphonic straight mute. Some people thought that I took a metal mute made by another brand and repainted it as a joke. The only H&B mutes I see on the shelf at music stores are the fiber mutes.

Your videos on breathing and posture also were very helpful. Thank you for everything that you share on this forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: