• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Excessive Water in My Horn - Advice Please!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am a fairly wet player. I have a feeling that some of it has to do with the amount of air put through the horn. When I first started out, I produced a LOT of water. As I progressed and got more efficient with my air, the amount of water went down noticeably, but to this day I still usually produce more than other players.

I also used to have a major problem with water coming out of my bell. The high-water mark of this problem (pun intended) was in college, when I would always have a small lake at my feet during rehearsal in our symphonic hall. I also think this is related to air usage, since the water out my bell has decreased as I became a more efficient player. I've also cut down on the problem by regularly removing my 1st valve slide and pressing the valve, tilting the bell skyward, and blowing the water out before it enters the bell crook.

Another problem I have is water in the valve caps. Happens on all my horns, even my pro model Yamaha which has airtight valves, so I'm not convinced that it has to do with wear or poor valve clearance.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advice on the earlier question is worthwhile. I'll just say that I've worked on learning different ways to get the water out.
(1) You mentioned using first slide and pointing bell up
(2) For me, perhaps because I hold my horn tilted, I also find tilting it on the side and pulling the second slide and blowing gets moisture out more. This seems to get the water out of my valves.
(3) Folk here taught me to take out the mouthpiece and depress all three valves and just let the water blow out the bell.
(4) I saw a flugelhorn guy who talked about running your finger next to the spit valve to break surface tension (works on my flugelhorn, he also said to depress the second valve when doing main spit valve).
I don't know if any of these have helped, but having several ways definitely makes a difference for me. I also find that when I'm not playing obviously the water moves down with gravity and is easier to get out.
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Water in the horn Reply with quote

If your Getzen has Amado waterkeys, I believe your problem may be some crud in the piston slot on the inside. Moisture accumulation is the usual problem when the waterkey is blocked. A brush will not clean that area and either taking the key apart or a strong blast of air from a compressor with the key open will dislodge anything hiding in there. Disassembling Amado keys is not much fun and you should have some spare parts on hand, for sure the circlip and endplate if not another spring. These parts seem to fly into space ending up in a black hole somewhere and for sure do not re-use the circlip. Compressed air and a few drops of valve oil everyday will keep them working.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
PMonteiro
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
(2) For me, perhaps because I hold my horn tilted, I also find tilting it on the side and pulling the second slide and blowing gets moisture out more. This seems to get the water out of my valves.

Second slide works too. I just find 1st to be quicker, since it's better lubricated and especially if it has a saddle. 1st is also pointed directly back at you, so if you want to reduce the risk of getting wet, 2nd is a better option.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: