• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Posture and horn angle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoshRzepka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Posture and horn angle. Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I made a quick video that addresses a few things about posture and horn angle that I don't hear mentioned all that often ... I hope this helps you all!

Let me know what you think. I'm very interested to know if this helped you too.

Link

Denis Wick Artist
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

For years I always adjusted my music stand before figuring out what my most relaxed horn angle was, then adjusted my posture to that. I think the habit started because I'm nearsighted. It has become more challenging now that I need reading glasses in addition to my regular prescription.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks! Reply with quote

Didymus wrote:
... It has become more challenging now that I need reading glasses in addition to my regular prescription.

----------------------------------------------
yep, doing things is much easier when you're capable of doing them!

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can easily vary the instrument angle with the head and body angle, plus the jaw position, and play in a favorable rim position.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice video, it has some good advice but I do have a few questions:

When you look at something with your eyes, the body tends to want to move in that direction (often used as a trick when teaching people how to throw a ball or driving a car). Even you move slightly when you look at something with your eyes . To prevent this movement, you need to actively stop your body from moving and this creates muscle tension. How do you avoid that? Is it just something to get used to? Or would it be better to position the stand/microphone in a direct line of sight of your eyes?

The 'generic stance' (ears above shoulders above hips) does not seem to be the stance of least tension for me (slightly hunched feels more relaxed than standing/sitting up straight). How do you avoid creating tension in your arm muscles by 'lifting your instrument' beyond what feels natural to match your optimal mouthpiece angle?
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject: Horn angle Reply with quote

This was a great video - thanks. I too always adjust angle to stand. Trying the technique out this morning and it does feel / sound better when concentrating on angle first.

Similar to last post have to figure out how to maintain that with my reading glasses - lol.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muscle effort and body tension are not the same thing. So called "tension" in the body does NOT affect the sound unless it affects the following.

The sound is controlled by: 1. an effective functional embouchure and 2. the air pressure bearing upon it.

So "tension" that affects breathing will reduce the air pressure, this will only reduce loudness of tone. The wrong or excessive embouchure tension will affect rhe sound. And a sure way to apply excessive embouchure tension is to buzz the mouthpiece only.

The resonance is in the instrument, not the body,

Also, The perceived sound may vary with instrument angle due to room acoustics.
JoshRzepka
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
One can easily vary the instrument angle with the head and body angle, plus the jaw position, and play in a favorable rim position.

Sure! Like I said in the video, everyone is different.

I like the approach of manipulating the body as little as possible, that seems to work best for me. Changing the angle of my head/body always seems to affect my breathing.
Denis Wick Artist
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: