• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coloradomacs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn Reply with quote

What would be a good targer price to try to find a Kanstul 1525 for (if I'm able to find one that it). Or a good price for a Yamaha 631, and where I could find the best prices for both. Suggestions for other flugels are welcome too.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a Jupiter 846R that reminds me a lot of Yamaha’s old standby. Great sound , excellent valve action, nice trigger... And under $700. I prefer it to the two Yamaha’s I’ve had. It’s a really nice player and outstanding value.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was looking for a fluegel, I was seeing very occasional 1525 ebay offerings around $2K. I wonder how many were made: I was not seeing them at large shops that take trade-ins.

At a medium price point, I think the Carols are very hard to beat.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanstuls here often seem to be listing for around 2000, which does seem a little steep for me, but what do I know?

I have the Jupiter 1100 (new version of the 846). I think the Carol and Jupiters are a step up from the ACB/Dillons type flugelhorns, which are a step up from the $300 mystery flugelhorns. Getting a flugelhorn with a trigger seems to be worth it. I really like the Jupiter and they have pretty consistently good reviews the last twenty years (same with the Carol flugel).

There were also a couple of Adams on the marketplace here for 2000 or 2100. I don't know how they compare to the Kanstul, but they seem cool.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest you look for a Yamaha 631..there are more on the market and a very easy Flugel to get used to and a very convincing Flugel tone. Kanstuls are no longer being made, yes the have a great reputation, but you may pay the price. I had one for a short time and found it difficult to get used to, add that to the noisy valves and I sold it.

Adams makes wonderful Flugels, and the last I saw were producing a less expensive standard build flugelhorn "Sonic" or something like that.. great horns for a reasonable price.

Austin Custom Brass

The ACB Doubler is popular, though I'll add that I was not happy with the one I had - pitch was too wild to work with. If you can only spend 600 on a new Flugel these are the ones to get.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the Yamaha 631 is the best bang for the buck. I have had two and currently own a Yamaha 731, which is the yellow brass, silver plated version of the 631. However my Adams F1 is my go to, everyday horn. After playing everything I could get my hands on, including the Kanstul 1525 and several Van Laars, I knew the Adams was for me the first time I played one and I have never regretted that decision.

Value-wise, the Yamaha 631 or even the 731 are a great choice. They are consistent, have good intonation, and decent sound quality. However, if your budget permits, play everything you can get your hands on before making a decision.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you look for but I’d take the Yamaha 631/731 over the Kanstul 1525. I liked the sound much better, less big trumpet and more of a horn sound, but the Kanstul was very easy to play (awkward to hold for me, though).
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1525 is one of the very best Flugels around. It’s equal is probably an Eclipse. If you find one and can afford it, buy it. You won’t regret it. Of course the Eclipse Flugels are still being made, so you could get a new one in any finish you want.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: