• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugelhorn search

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChuckK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Flugelhorn search Reply with quote

Short backstory: Undergrad degree in trumpet, Graduate performance in French horn. Now, retired, age 68 mostly been playing bass with community theater pits. I'm cooling it the COVID mess by getting back to brass after not touching a horn for 15 years. I have an Olds Ambassador cornet that is doing me just fine, but I'd like a flugelhorn too of about the same quality.
I have a Chinese or Indian flugel that sounds OK, but the intonation is all over the map. Mechanically it's a huge question mark also.
I'd like to find a piston valved flugelhorn that plays acceptably well, but doesn't cost over $500. If the slides work and it doesn't come with several hundred in repairs needed that just might be the horn for me. I really doubt I'll be playing this in public with any real expectations. However, after 35 years of teaching 7th grade band, I've heard my share of intonation problems.

Any suggestions?
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha student model might be your best shot.. they are regulars on eBay for under $500. YFH231, YFH 2310 etc.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha student flugels I've played have been just fine. And likely an easier transition for the hobbyist. Used you might score one for your price range.

Dillon's music had a house brand horn new for that price when I looked earlier today. They are reasonably well-reviewed.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
ChuckK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I saw an ad for a Thomann's flugelhorn. Any one know about that? Not just sold by the store, but a suppose a stencil of sorts.
jmtrumpet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add to the chorus on the Yamaha 231/2310. I used one professionally for years until I found a Couesnon I fell in love with. They’re a sleeper horn, IMO, and you should be able to find one used around your budget.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha looks like a great option. There's a used Bundy with the funky Bach wrap for $550 in the markeplace, but I don't know how they are on intonation. You might find a used ACB/ Dillon /Jupiter / Blessing in that range. If you can up it to $700-$1000 you enter another pool of possible instruments. You might also be able to improve your Chinese/Indian flugelhorn with a Yamaha or Jupiter leadpipe. On flugelhorn mouthpiece also makes a big difference, so I spent $100 buying several used mouthpieces, and that helped a lot.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit above $500, but it's brand new and I suspect it's exactly what you're looking for. Austin Custom Brass is a great place....

https://www.austincustombrass.biz/acb-doublers-flugelhorn-our-1-selling-product-at-acb-with-new-options/

keith
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have mentioned the yamaha 231 could be found at the price point you're looking for. ACB doubler flugelhorn would be a little more expensive but I understand it is a reliable horn for the hobbyist? Same with Dillon. I've seen a Blessing 1547RT floating around for $600 on Reverb and Ebay. Maybe worth a shot? A lower end Jupiter is possible to find for your price range, I think, on a Craigslist, Reverb or Ebay. I'm in the hunt for a flugelhorn as well, but I have my eyes on either a Yamaha 6310 or 8315, Benge #3, or an Adams F1.
wilder
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A used YAMAHA standard (student) horn is the way to go. Good luck! jw
nltrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:

Dillon's music had a house brand horn new for that price when I looked earlier today. They are reasonably well-reviewed.

I’ll back up this statement. I picked one up almost a decade ago and it’s served me well. I was looking to upgrade for a while, but I don’t play flugel enough to really justify it. And the more I play it, the less I want to part with it.
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for a Getzen Capri
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
mikepodorski

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
A bit above $500, but it's brand new and I suspect it's exactly what you're looking for. Austin Custom Brass is a great place....

https://www.austincustombrass.biz/acb-doublers-flugelhorn-our-1-selling-product-at-acb-with-new-options/

keith

I'm picking the gloss lacquer one tomorrow. Trent and Josh at ACB are awesome.

I had a beautiful silver plated Couesnon that I loved. I bought it from a pawn shop for cheap 30 years ago. I sold it a while ago after I quit playing. What a mistake that was.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I just stumbled across an old TV special that featured Burt Bacharach and Elvis Costello with a small orchestra. They were playing music from their "Painted From Memory" recording which is one of my absolute favorites. The reason I mention it is that the trumpet player used flugel quite a bit and best I can tell it was a Yamaha student model. And he sounded just great.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
mikepodorski

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the ACB Doubler for a few days now. It is a tremendous value. Overall build quality is solid. The valves are monel and are very smooth with good compression. The 3rd valve trigger works well and is surprisingly well built. The finish is not perfect but very nice. The intonation is off with the stock no name mouthpiece, so I highly recommend adding one of Trent's flugelhorn mouthpieces. I bought one of the custom ones (15cf) which totally fixes the intonation and plays much better. They offer a cheaper single option upgrade as well, and offer a discount with the horn purchase. Its been a long time since I played the Couesnon I had, but this is for sure a suitable replacement.

I'm pretty sure you can find a similar horn on Amazon for the same price, but the service from ACB including the valve optimization are a huge added value.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good replies already given. I'll add a couple more in the "under $500" range.

A used Getzen flugelhorn (Capri or Eterna), if you do a little looking, could go for under $500.

Also, the Allora flugelhorn from WWBW and MusiciansFriend. I've tried one, and it's a reasonable choice for the price. They list for $599, but regularly go on sale. They currently have an open-box one for $449. I'll PM you the name of a friend who recently purchased one and is happy with her choice.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
outskiing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Upgrade the Mouthpiece Reply with quote

I have a cheapie stencil flugel and with one of ACB's Fabfive mouthpieces it sounds great and is a lot of fun for playing at home and at church once in a while. Try upgrading your mouthpiece and you might be pleasantly surprised.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
Also, the Allora flugelhorn from WWBW and MusiciansFriend. I've tried one, and it's a reasonable choice for the price. They list for $599, but regularly go on sale. They currently have an open-box one for $449.

Pretty sure the Allora is the same horn as the $300-ish stencilhorns on eBay with a fancier pricetag.

Here's a stencilhorn played with a Denis Wick 4FL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7wMDUHc81g
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
FWIW I just stumbled across an old TV special that featured Burt Bacharach and Elvis Costello with a small orchestra. They were playing music from their "Painted From Memory" recording which is one of my absolute favorites. The reason I mention it is that the trumpet player used flugel quite a bit and best I can tell it was a Yamaha student model. And he sounded just great.

George Graham used one but he had Kanstul put on a different bell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: