• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shipping to Canada

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Shipping to Canada Reply with quote

Advice?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi from Canada
USPS or FedEx work well if I am expecting a package from the U.S. We use a Postal Code instead of a Zip Code. For example mine is P7C 3L5. Packaging is the same as you would if sending within the U.S. Contrary to the stereotypes we have three other seasons exclusive of winter so no special provisions are needed. If you want to be a nice guy you could value the item at $100 so we don't get dinged so hard for import duty. 🤐
Was there some specific concern you had?
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend USPS. 90% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the border, so it shouldn't be much more expensive than US shipping. With USPS delays and Canadian mail being notoriously slow, probably best to go for tracked and insured shipping. I've mailed and received items to and from Canada and never had an issue (besides long delays on letters).
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. No special concerns. Just trying to get a better idea of what it would cost me as well as Canadian buyers for shipping mouthpieces and horns.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for USPS, which becomes Canada Post.

UPS/Fedex/DHL/etc. add their own 'brokerage fee', atop of classifying your package in the most hostile way possible for taxes/duties.

When they roast me on duty I can usually claim that back through a government office (bigger pain now--walk-in office closed; need to mail docs off down the coast in virus times).

The 'brokerage fee' is irretrievable.
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had shipments go missing through Canada Post so I do not use them any longer. FedEx gets packages to me from GR in a day and I have never had an issue. Personally I would pay the little bit more and use FedEx.

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B. Scriver wrote:
I have had shipments go missing through Canada Post so I do not use them any longer. FedEx gets packages to me from GR in a day and I have never had an issue. Personally I would pay the little bit more and use FedEx.

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com

I appreciate your concerns re: Canada Post.

I had a guy ship me an instrument I bought from BC. Package look like it'd be trampled in a Ben-Hur chariot race, but the hard case held and the horn was fine.
I can see that it might not work out in other cases.

OTOH, Wessex sent me a hopelessly sharp horn by DHL. Had to ship it back at my own expense (Wessex is a disgrace, another story for another day) but DHL stitched me up for their 'brokerage fee' and an absurd tax/duty rate. Been two months, no action from the government on refund of taxes. I think I'll get it eventually but I don't know.
TonyR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is for USPS; I've had horns, cases and mouthpieces shipped using their service in combination with Canada Post. I've also horns shipped in the other direction to Florida and California without a problem. FEDEX and UPS may be a little faster, but with brokerage fees, etc. are much more expensive - especially with the higher priced horns.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyR wrote:
My vote is for USPS; I've had horns, cases and mouthpieces shipped using their service in combination with Canada Post. I've also horns shipped in the other direction to Florida and California without a problem. FEDEX and UPS may be a little faster, but with brokerage fees, etc. are much more expensive - especially with the higher priced horns.

I recommend against using USPS period.

I had a horn stolen at the NJ sorting center by employees already on double or triple overtime holiday pay. I spent a lot of time with the postmaster from the sending office as he ran into a wall of resistance in USPS designed to protect the union and these thieves. (this package had internal as well as external shipping info) Did you know that the center where they send packages that have lost their shipping info functions primarily to sell those items at auction, not return them? Did you know that postmaster's contacts to that center are never returned? Did you know that when you find the phone number for the manager there, he gets really angry? In the end, even when they grudgingly agreed to check for an easily identifiable package and item, nothing close had come their way in weeks - no trumpets at all. It was stolen and USPS covered it up (a first year Emil Blessing).

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Canadian I will not buy from anyone who will not ship via USPS. The customs and brokerage fees with any other service are just too much. With USPS, even when declared properly, I rarely get dinged with duties/taxes.

It is certainly slower than Fedex or UPS and recently things have been getting held up in customs for a bit.

On small $$$ purchases this is the only affordable option.

Heather.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: